Port wearing away strip - now ok to wear prison bar jumper - AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

The game was so slow back then though. Watch the replays from the games from the 70's. Kick (Screw punt, Tumble punt, Drop kick, occasional drop punt) to a pack or space, high mark, elbows everywhere, hand pass (mainly the tumble forward type) kick to blokes actually playing a position. The game is so much different these days, so much faster and skillful, so many different tactics, rotations etc etc and so much more scrutinized. the game is fundamentally different and if you dinosaurs think what worked in 1973 works today, well your just dimwits.
If you can't tell the difference live or on a 42 inch + TV panel I would suggest you go to OPSM.

This has become laughable from the AFL. If there is a problem with our clash strip then why approve it? If it has worked fine in the past why need to change it now? And why a few days before the game is a completly different guernsey now the best solution?

So, so amatuer from the AFL, embarrassing that uniforms have become an issue less than a week from a finals game.

I agree 100%

disagree on the EFC clash jumper - its one of the ugliest things created. Its the stupid light/dark thing that forced them to go to grey. How does a mostly red jumper clash with RFC colours (not allowed under current rules because red is dark and our jumper is dark)?

On ours, I'm happy to change as long as it respects the integrity of our design and traditions (something I think all clubs should insist on). In on record as being a fan of our VFL away strip FWIW (I heard it cant be used in the AFL because of issues of it being too similar to the WAFL SoO jumper, but some say this isn't correct so take it with a grain of salt)

631551-c417c324-b263-11e3-8ffb-bdc84c71056c.jpg

The issue with a reversed Essendon guernsey is that it might still not be enough of a distinction with dark coloured teams that also use red (Melbourne, St Kilda...possibly Adelaide), which is why Melbourne has the same problem and St Kilda doesn't (because the Saints and Crows have a tricolour and can use white...Crows should use yellow). Borderline/pedantic perhaps, but I can see where they're coming from with Essendon and Melbourne (which is why the fat sash didn't work).

Have heard the WA SoO thing too. It sounds like rubbish to me...WA doesn't even wear that anymore and hasn't for about 30 years, as far as I'm aware. Nevertheless, if that does present issues, it's a pretty easy work-around, with a Tiger logo across the sash, or one of those old preseason claw designs in lieu of a sash (with the claw marks appearing where the start and end of the sash would be, which would presumably create enough of a difference for the WA people not to kick up a stink).

If you can't tell the difference live or on a 42 inch + TV panel I would suggest you go to OPSM.

Times have changed since you took your best gal to watch Kramer Vs Kramer at the Drive ins. 1980 is a long time ago. Not adapting to the times has been a major reason RFC have been in a s**t heap for the best part of 3 decades. Your actually starting to become relevant again, you'll even take being the "good news story". Get a ******* decent clash guernsey.

The problem comes from not forcing teams to have a genuinely different clash strip. Richmond's clash strip is still basically their home strip with a bit more yellow - it's not a true clash strip.

Times have changed since you took your best gal to watch Kramer Vs Kramer at the Drive ins. 1980 is a long time ago. Not adapting to the times has been a major reason RFC have been in a s**t heap for the best part of 3 decades. Your actually starting to become relevant again, you'll even take being the "good news story". Get a ******* decent clash guernsey.
How did you know I took my GF to see that?

I'd suggest that since broadcasters are paying a bill for the rights these days, that's a pretty ludicrous argument.
And if broadcasters had their way, Collingwood would play every Friday night and there'd be Sunday/Monday night footy every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue with a reversed Essendon guernsey is that it might still not be enough of a distinction with dark coloured teams that also use red (Melbourne and St Kilda), which is why Melbourne has the same problem and St Kilda doesn't (because the saints have a tricolour and can use white). Borderline/pedantic perhaps, but I can see where they're coming from with Essendon and Melbourne (which is why the fat sash didn't work).

Have heard the WA SoO thing too. It sounds like rubbish to me...WA doesn't even wear that anymore and hasn't for about 30 years, as far as I'm aware. Nevertheless, if that does present issues, it's a pretty easy work-around, with a Tiger logo across the sash, or one of those old preseason claw designs in lieu of a sash (with the claw marks appearing where the start and end of the sash would be, which would presumably create enough of a difference for the WA people not to kick up a stink).

On the first, I think this is where common sense some into it - for instance is there really a clash between EFC and MFC? if there is one, cant it be addressed with MFC changing shorts (to white or red)? Haven't thought about it much TBH, but changing jumpers should be the last option, and the fewer matches a clash jumper needs to be made for, the easier it is to engineer simple design changes.

On the WAFL thing, with SoO dead you would hope the WAFL just agree to let us use it as is. They have the yellow with the black swan which is recently used, and looks good.

Asking the away team to wear a clash guernsey when its home colours are similar to the home team isn't quite the same thing as a mass-manipulation of the league's fixture.
How is Sunday/Monday night footy every week mass manipulation of the league's fixture?

Port must revolt and just run out in their home strip, what can the AFL do about it? Fine them? Big deal!
From memory, the carlton shorts farce against geelong was going to cost them $3000 per player, so you would take it from there. Willingly breaking a rule may also face further sanctions, but the AFL would be foolish to pursue that line.

This is the Gilligan regime's first major failure and he must act swiftly to weed out some incompetent people at AFL headquarters. The whole operation requires a review. This is a complete fiasco, it is one of the most ridiculous, idiotic, stupid and absurd decisions i have ever seen these incompetent fools make. If Gilligan thinks this is his way of becoming fan friendly then he needs to look at another job. There is no clash here, what is the real agenda? Who is running this amateur hour called the AFL? I absolutely detest white away strips, i hate them totally, i never watch a match with a team playing wearing some stupid meaningless white away strip, i can't identify with that. Port should defy the AFL and run out in their normal strip, what are they going to do...disqualify them? Show some balls Port and just do it! Enough of these idiots ruining OUR game!

Im starting think along the same lines since getting the billions in TV revenue they are just turning into another massive bloated bureaucracy like a government department and there must be many bludgers that have to justify their pay packet by making inane decisions about events just to look like they are actually doing something.An easy way to squander money is to employ excess staff that have to make uo work for themselves.

I bet some of the people now working at the AFL dont have a clue about football and its century old traditions and culture.

It would be the same idiots that framed the draw this year and thought viaiable pricing would be a great idea.

How is Sunday/Monday night footy every week mass manipulation of the league's fixture?

Collingwood playing every Friday night would be.

At a guess, I'd say the people have revolted against the concept of Sunday and Monday footy and the broadcasters have cooled on the idea, since Collingwood playing Carlton on Sunday night at a half-full MCG doesn't look too flash either. And there probably isn't quite the same degree of outrage with regards to a team wearing a clash guernsey half a dozen times a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back