Simple Sando Says

Remove this Banner Ad

He's spent the last few days telling us all of the problems we have, like it's some revelation and they haven't been obvious to everybody for almost two years.

Very little time spent discussing what we'd done to try and address them, or how we planned to in the future.
Yeah he really should just say nothing when hes on the radio.

Exactly. He's a nice guy and all but he's too easily led by loaded questions. And he should actually just face palm Rucci anytime Rucci asks another loaded/stupid/repetitive question.
Yes but it really wouldnt matter a stuff what he said. People like Elvis will tear him apart no matter what he says. The Sanderson hate has become obsessive and a handful of posters have turned the entire forum into nothing but a Sanderson bash. Virtually every thread you open somehow comes back to Sanderson.

Yes but it really wouldnt matter a stuff what he said. People like Elvis will tear him apart no matter what he says. The Sanderson hate has become obsessive and a handful of posters have turned the entire forum into nothing but a Sanderson bash. Virtually every thread you open somehow comes back to Sanderson.

Replace Sanderson with Trigg and before that Craig, and welcome to the last 5 years on this board.

Yeah he really should just say nothing when hes on the radio.

It sounded like he's sat and done nothing all year (obviously he hasn't), and in the last week has realised all of the failings we have.

We don't need to be told what the issues are, they're bloody obvious, how about telling us how they are going to be addressed, or what we tried to do to address them; listing them is absolutely pointless.

And, for the record, I didn't want Craig sacked, I backed him until it was obvious we needed a change of scenery. I was supportive of Trigg (silly me) until the Tippett thing.

Roo and McDermott have both alluded to it repeatedly; there is something seriously awry within our football Club - the 3 leaders are Trigg, Chapman and Sando have to be held to account.

I always thought that leadership was a combination of ones personality and ones experience. Personality helps you to be more extraverted to stand up and put yourself out there and experience gave you the knowledge and confidence to be able to lead and direct. No point being a strong willed/driven individual without knowing what your talking about.

Yes, experience is one of the areas people can gain leadership knowledge and skills

Great thread title - can you guess what Sandos nickname will be next year.

If he doesn't make wholesale changes to his coaching group and the playing list, my moneys on he will be gone by round 18 next year.

Sanderson has developed this annoying habit in interviews of making an excuse, and then straight after saying "but that's no excuse."

Sando, media 101 lesson from Slippery Pete: Once you mention it, it's an excuse.

Is it just me that when Sando uses words like "ruthless" and "aggressive" and "feared" it makes me laugh a bit. He seems the least ruthless coach I've seen. Then he tries to convince you that he really truly can get angry at the players and..yeah, no. Same when he tells you he's completely gutted by a loss but sits in the presser smiling and joking.

I'm not calling for his head and he needs a chance to coach with proper resources and draft picks. That he hasn't had these so far is not his fault but it is other people's. Unfortunately for him it is likely that he will have only one year to show whether he is up to it.

I've said on here numerous times that this is fundamentally about leadership. Trigg's was compromised and he is gone. Chapman has lost the confidence of some members. Sando's has been hamstrung by lack of resources but what he has been able to display to my mind has been questionable. Our on field leadership has suffered through lack of experience. And so we look for a restoration of confidence in leadership with Roo, a new CEO and the return of VB. With all those in place Sando will have a proper chance to show us what he is capable of.

Is it just me that when Sando uses words like "ruthless" and "aggressive" and "feared" it makes me laugh a bit. He seems the least ruthless coach I've seen. Then he tries to convince you that he really truly can get angry at the players and..yeah, no. Same when he tells you he's completely gutted by a loss but sits in the presser smiling and joking.

I'm not calling for his head and he needs a chance to coach with proper resources and draft picks. That he hasn't had these so far is not his fault but it is other people's. Unfortunately for him it is likely that he will have only one year to show whether he is up to it.

I've said on here numerous times that this is fundamentally about leadership. Trigg's was compromised and he is gone. Chapman has lost the confidence of some members. Sando's has been hamstrung by lack of resources but what he has been able to display to my mind has been questionable. Our on field leadership has suffered through lack of experience. And so we look for a restoration of confidence in leadership with Roo, a new CEO and the return of VB. With all those in place Sando will have a proper chance to show us what he is capable of.

He ripped into the group and poked Rutten in the chest. Media got stuck into him about it. Damned if you do, damed if you don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People on here are just way too harsh I feel. Not sure what you expected from the interview. I heard it all. Thought he was very open and honest. He isn't going to spill only trades secrets. He didnt shy away from anything. Hit the nail on the head with our weakness'. Also gave example on how they will go about fixing some of them over the pre-season.

Also who said we shouldn't chase Malceski? He will be announced in the AA team tonight. Quality defender off HB. Exactly the maturity we need down there.

He ripped into the group and poked Rutten in the chest. Media got stuck into him about it. Damned if you do, damed if you don't.

Yes the media will make something of it either way. The question is whether he can display true leadership and appropriate aggression/ruthlessness and demand it from/engender it in others. He said after that incident that he probably shouldn't have done it.

Leigh Matthews is the only player to have been charged with assault for something he did on the footy field, but as a coach he could kill you with his look. Never saw him poke a player in the chest to prove how tough and angry he was. He demanded ruthlessness from his players and no doubt engendered it in a few.

Not many people are Leigh Matthews and I don't expect Sando to be. As I say, with better resources he will have a chance to show how good a coach and a leader he is.

Sanderson has developed this annoying habit in interviews of making an excuse, and then straight after saying "but that's no excuse."

Sando, media 101 lesson from Slippery Pete: Once you mention it, it's an excuse.
Awww c'mon!

You couldn't run, why is that?

Because my ankle was broken…but that's no excuse.

People on here are just way too harsh I feel. Not sure what you expected from the interview. I heard it all. Thought he was very open and honest. He isn't going to spill only trades secrets. He didnt shy away from anything. Hit the nail on the head with our weakness'. Also gave example on how they will go about fixing some of them over the pre-season.

Also who said we shouldn't chase Malceski? He will be announced in the AA team tonight. Quality defender off HB. Exactly the maturity we need down there.
Malceski would be a dream come true.

Again, damned if you do damned if you don't. Malceski's 30yrs old. As soon as we'd pick him Half this board would melt because he'd be too old, and the other half would think it's fantastic to have …you know - someone good, playing in the backline.

The other half would be ecstatic because he more than likely takes Martins or Jaensch's position. Can't please everyone. Aparts from two knee recos which, havent given him any trouble for 5 years, he hasn't had any real injury problems. Didn't start playing AFL until he was 22. Could easily play until he is 33/34

This is very true. Tex, for example, has a natural charisma and capacity to lead, but clearly needs to be "taught" leadership skills. David MacKay, on the other hand, will never be a leader.

But...David MacKay may have other skills that contribute to a leadership model... analysis, innovation etc... in a collaborative model, MacKay (for example) would still be a valuable part of the model.

So what you do in inexperienced groups is lead through direction, whilst teaching collaboration. As the group matures, you transfer ownership of aspects of the system back to the group, until you have a team that a) buys in to the direction b) is capable of self analysis and assessment and c) can innovate to improve the system.

The danger in promoting the mature model with inexperienced groups is that you lose them at the "buy in" stage, which is what seems to have happened with our group. You see inconsistency, confusion and disenchantment. You see guys like Danger trying to "do it all" (martyrdom) and others becoming too reliant upon him, because they have not bought in/do not understand their role. This is why Danger is a flight risk... eventually martyrs walk away thinking they've "done all they can". It's not a character flaw, it's a simple case of poor education and development by the coaches and guys like Steinfort.

Obviously my observations are from afar, without insight into the actual group dynamics, but judging by the fact that they have Pat Steinfort in charge of the program and seeing the results on field, I think Im right. It would partly explain why we went so well in 2012 with a simple gameplan with clear KPIs, then have gone backwards since as opposition teams have worked us out, and the coach has tried to expand the gameplan.

You need to go and knock on the door of the club with this. Please.

The other half would be ecstatic because he more than likely takes Martins or Jaensch's position. Can't please everyone. Aparts from two knee recos which, havent given him any trouble for 5 years, he hasn't had any real injury problems. Didn't start playing AFL until he was 22. Could easily play until he is 33/34
There are 3 halves?:D

Reading through the OP, I think Sando has a pretty good grip on the problems confronting him, the club, team and the list managers. What I didn't see there was any mention of solutions to the problems, many of which have been evident for a long time.

It's all very well to know what the problems are, but if you're not doing anything to fix them (and I haven't seen any indications that he is), then what's the use?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back