Discussion The West Coast Eagles Guernsey Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

All the retail jumpers are now 2 for $110.

Should indicate a change in jumper for 2015?

The club has been selling last years jumper template as this years so they're probably just getting in retails with the proper template.

Last edited:

76824_c22b5aa1593d79a5e7d5ba250a4a77fe.png

Gibbsy

So ISC have come out and said they will have the prison bars ready for the game this weekend. So why could we not get puma to make a "home" set of wings guernsey's for our game?? Maybe home & away games aren't as important, after all, Richmond wore their clash against Port in Adelaide a few times before, not sure why this is any different.

Response from Gary.
Hi ......,

As a result of the situation in Adelaide this week, we might get some traction on the issue of the clash guernsey, which is separate to the issue of the wings jumper

A few years ago all clubs were instructed by the AFL to design a clash guernsey, but some have refused under the protection of their constitution. This is not good enough and we are fighting the AFL on this matter, which came to a head with us when we, coincidentally, played Richmond in a home game and were instructed to wear our clash jumper. We are working with several other clubs to address this matter and to get a permanent solution to a problem that needs to be fixed.

On the matter of returning the wings to our home jumper, there is some activity around that. When you get your September edition of the Eagle Eye you will see what I mean. Under AFL brand guidelines we can nominate two matches per season where we can wear special guernseys, we have worn the heritage (or yellow peril jumper that you refer to) on a couple of occasions and we have also worn a special jumper to commemorate the Dig Deep Day (supporting Cancer Council). This year we were also able to wear a jumper to mark the Indigenous Round.

While I am a supporter of the Return The Wings campaign, it is by no means unanimous. So we do need more data. The next deadline to make submissions for alterations to guernsey designs is March 1 next year. One way or another a decision will be made well in advance of that deadline. It should also be noted that the AFL has to approve any changes, but in this instance, should be go down that path, I would be staggered if there was any opposition. We will have a resolution to this important matter well before Christmas, in my opinion.

Regards,

Gary Stocks
General Manager - Communications

Last edited:
That is by far the best answer I have ever seen from a club official!

I would think the AFL would make a move to ensure West Coast do move to a wings home jumper next year. Have the tri panel jumper majority light on the front and dark of the back causes a lot of headaches in implimenting a consistent clash rule next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's with the shitty graphic at the bottom?!
To demonstrate the jumper? Plenty of geriatrics who'd be confused by 'the wings' and 'yellow peril' terminology.

I personally think the very fact they've mocked up a totally new, navy-based design actually shows a bit. Most people on here realise it would take about 6 seconds to recolour the existing template Puma have, but the fact the Eagles have probably commissioned Puma to knock some designs up says a bit. Publicly showing off the whole campaign is a good move too. It'd be very easy to keep the majority of members and fans out in the cold and only patronise the campaigners (...actual campaigners!) with acknowledgement. Not to mention the totally unnecessary "it could be the training jumper" too – they never had to say that. I mean, if you're a CEO and a bunch of annoying fans were trying to pass a design you hated, you wouldn't patronise them any more than you needed. The honchos want it. It's all looking good.

And honestly, it's not like the Brisbane Lions petitioning for a Bears jumper. Most people still see the wings as the Eagles jumper. Most kids in WA have the wings jumper*. It's unique, so there's that ownership. It was worn in every flag and all through the 90s.

I also really dig the navy design. I'd rather see that as a clash, its rarity might add to its allure, but whatever. All three is pretty much the best outcome you could hope for, how they're utilised is almost redundant.

*Side note: Am I the only one who noticed a weird trend with jumpers in WA? If you were an Eagles supporter with a tripanel or a clash jumper, it fit just right. But every kid with the wings used to wear them ludicrously tightly, like even in the 2000s. I remember in high school when we had jumper days and even at training, no one had a 'right' fitting wings jumper. It was bizarre and to this day I have no idea why this happened. I still haven't seen any comparable trend like it. Maybe this is a subconscious commentary on the financial backgrounds of Eagles and Freo fans? Were Freo supporters more prone to hearing the dreading words of "get a bigger size so you can grow into it!"

I think that whenever West Coast play home twilight/ night games they should wear navy wings
Home games that are afternoon should wear royal
All away games wear royal if no clash
Peril for clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Back