NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus christ Stuy!! Hope you were told that the NEAFL match was TODAY! it was scheduled for Sunday originally but changed early in the week to accommodate the swans who are playing next Friday night in the AFL prelim.

Aspley win a thriller on the siren by 2 points! Would love to hear a few reports from people who attended.

I was there, and it was unbelievable. Is very hard to put it into words. I was cheering for Aspley, being the Qld side, and also due to the fact that I HATE Sydney. Aspley were 5 goals down at 3 quarter time, and pretty much looked cooked. They had struggled for any potency up forward, having played 6 relatively small forwards for the first 3 quarters. Sydney's backline seriously outsized all of them. Aspley's goals prior to 3 quarter time had been generated from very good run and carry. For the start of the 4th quarter, Blair had moved young #38 to full forward, and instantly Aspley had a forward target. He started brilliantly, taking a strong mark, and kicking the goal. Aspley really seemed to lift from there, and with continued run, kept pushing forward. With a couple of missed shots, and only behinds scored, it seemed like there was just too much to do. Aspley's backline continued to stop any of Sydney's forward thrust and rebounded with great run and ball movement. A goal to put Aspley within 3 points, which seemed to already be late in the quarter, brought the crowd alive. Aspley also seemed to be getting a good run from the umps as well, with what seemed all the 50/50 calls going there way, but they were putting their heads over the footy and were desperate. When #5 for Aspley snapped a great goal from 40 metres out to put Aspley in front, the was a great roar from the crowd, and the boys in Brown and Yellow looked to be in control. Sydney won the next clearance and pushed forward but Aspley were able to take a defensive mark. The clock read 25 minutes elapsed, and Aspley now seemed to have gone into defensive mode. They chipped the ball around, but it seemed very risky. Their ball movement had seriously slowed down. This had started to eat up some time, but going by how long the previous quarters had run, there was still at least 4 or so minutes left. The ball had gone in dispute up and back along the wing in front of the coaches boxes, until a ball went to the advantage of #16 for Aspley, who was just forward of the centre circle. He got a horrible bounce as the ball stood up on its end, and landed to the advantage of 2 Sydney players. They moved the ball inside 50 where Zak Jones was able to get on to a loose ball with space in front of him and kicked a goal to put Sydney back in front. This now felt like Sydney had stolen the victory. Were pushing 30 minutes elapsed in the quarter. Sydney went forward once again, and Tom Mitchell with ball in hand snapped at goal to seal it but missed. Sydney 4 points in front. Copeland grabbed the footy and with nothing in the tank, kicked a torp as far as he could. The ball came to ground and contested, was kicked out wide. Both teams were now as desperate as it gets. I was thinking that there now could only be seconds remaining. Aspley were able to force the ball up the line, and with a clearance kick needed a mark. Dean Towers stood tall and marked for Sydney, and surely that was it. The kick came back down the same wing, but Aspley were able to force the ball back up that wing, mainly due to some great defensive work. Boys were throwing themselves in, and there was another stoppage what looked to be about 70 metres from Aspleys goal. Another ball up and the ball is thrust closer towards Aspley's goal, with a Sydney player first to the footy. Aspley players pounced on him with some ferocious tackling. The umpires whistle goes, and instantly I thought high tackle, free to Sydney. The Sydney player had actually been pinned for a throw, and from where I was standing looked to be 50-55 metres from goal. The ball was now in the hands of #4 for Aspley, and he needed to be decisive with what he was going to do. He had missed two goals earlier in the game, one which was an absolute gimme, 20 metres out straight in front. He owed his side. Having seen his kicking throughout the game though, there was no way he had this journey in him. He seemed to take forever before starting his run up at goal. 33 minutes had elapsed but the siren still hadn't gone. He let go of an almighty drop punt, which started left, faded back right, and with a little bit of shepherding on the line carried the distance. A roar enveloped the ground, and #4 had 17 Aspley players jumping on him. Masses of fans had run on to the ground, and I am not sure if anyone had actually heard the siren go. Watching it all unfold was absolutely unbelievable. Spine tingling !! One of the best games of footy I have ever watched. Will definitely go down as one of the greatest grand finals of all time. The Aspley boys will party for the next 2 weeks after that I reckon !!

I was there, and it was unbelievable. Is very hard to put it into words. I was cheering for Aspley, being the Qld side, and also due to the fact that I HATE Sydney. Aspley were 5 goals down at 3 quarter time, and pretty much looked cooked. They had struggled for any potency up forward, having played 6 relatively small forwards for the first 3 quarters. Sydney's backline seriously outsized all of them. Aspley's goals prior to 3 quarter time had been generated from very good run and carry. For the start of the 4th quarter, Blair had moved young #38 to full forward, and instantly Aspley had a forward target. He started brilliantly, taking a strong mark, and kicking the goal. Aspley really seemed to lift from there, and with continued run, kept pushing forward. With a couple of missed shots, and only behinds scored, it seemed like there was just too much to do. Aspley's backline continued to stop any of Sydney's forward thrust and rebounded with great run and ball movement. A goal to put Aspley within 3 points, which seemed to already be late in the quarter, brought the crowd alive. Aspley also seemed to be getting a good run from the umps as well, with what seemed all the 50/50 calls going there way, but they were putting their heads over the footy and were desperate. When #5 for Aspley snapped a great goal from 40 metres out to put Aspley in front, the was a great roar from the crowd, and the boys in Brown and Yellow looked to be in control. Sydney won the next clearance and pushed forward but Aspley were able to take a defensive mark. The clock read 25 minutes elapsed, and Aspley now seemed to have gone into defensive mode. They chipped the ball around, but it seemed very risky. Their ball movement had seriously slowed down. This had started to eat up some time, but going by how long the previous quarters had run, there was still at least 4 or so minutes left. The ball had gone in dispute up and back along the wing in front of the coaches boxes, until a ball went to the advantage of #16 for Aspley, who was just forward of the centre circle. He got a horrible bounce as the ball stood up on its end, and landed to the advantage of 2 Sydney players. They moved the ball inside 50 where Zak Jones was able to get on to a loose ball with space in front of him and kicked a goal to put Sydney back in front. This now felt like Sydney had stolen the victory. Were pushing 30 minutes elapsed in the quarter. Sydney went forward once again, and Tom Mitchell with ball in hand snapped at goal to seal it but missed. Sydney 4 points in front. Copeland grabbed the footy and with nothing in the tank, kicked a torp as far as he could. The ball came to ground and contested, was kicked out wide. Both teams were now as desperate as it gets. I was thinking that there now could only be seconds remaining. Aspley were able to force the ball up the line, and with a clearance kick needed a mark. Dean Towers stood tall and marked for Sydney, and surely that was it. The kick came back down the same wing, but Aspley were able to force the ball back up that wing, mainly due to some great defensive work. Boys were throwing themselves in, and there was another stoppage what looked to be about 70 metres from Aspleys goal. Another ball up and the ball is thrust closer towards Aspley's goal, with a Sydney player first to the footy. Aspley players pounced on him with some ferocious tackling. The umpires whistle goes, and instantly I thought high tackle, free to Sydney. The Sydney player had actually been pinned for a throw, and from where I was standing looked to be 50-55 metres from goal. The ball was now in the hands of #4 for Aspley, and he needed to be decisive with what he was going to do. He had missed two goals earlier in the game, one which was an absolute gimme, 20 metres out straight in front. He owed his side. Having seen his kicking throughout the game though, there was no way he had this journey in him. He seemed to take forever before starting his run up at goal. 33 minutes had elapsed but the siren still hadn't gone. He let go of an almighty drop punt, which started left, faded back right, and with a little bit of shepherding on the line carried the distance. A roar enveloped the ground, and #4 had 17 Aspley players jumping on him. Masses of fans had run on to the ground, and I am not sure if anyone had actually heard the siren go. Watching it all unfold was absolutely unbelievable. Spine tingling !! One of the best games of footy I have ever watched. Will definitely go down as one of the greatest grand finals of all time. The Aspley boys will party for the next 2 weeks after that I reckon !!
Haha pretty biased report but I still enjoyed it

Hey, you guys seem very knowledgeable. I got speaking to a guy who I have seen at a lot of NEAFL games this year. Always there with his blue chair and notepad. Turns out he is a recruiter for the Western Bulldogs. I reckon he played at the top level as well, but I cant for the life of me put a name to the face.

Peanut,
what do you think the crowd attendance was.?

nah definitely wasn't him. I would have recognised him. This guy solely does recruiting for the dogs in the NEAFL.
Going to need more hints then. Height, hair colour, age?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to Aspley on winning the premiership today in a thrilling game.
Pity about the poor crowd,,,, I hear would of only been about 1800.....terrible for the top comp .......

"Pea Nut,

I was waiting at the bar but know one asked for me to buy them a Beer - In cog neto is always the best way to save a quid (as I am from Caboolture my wallet appreciates that) - Gee what a win, thats it, I am following lawn bowls next year as it is not so taxing on the heart. 5 Goals down at the 3rd qrt break and the Hornets season looked all but cooked, even the most die hearted supporter gave the boys away as the Swans were building like last week against the Thunder to put the Hornets away, at this time it looked like a 10 goal smashing.

Then 5 minutes into the last qrt Ryno Okeefe was heard to give the big bloke from the Red & White Chooks the biggest spray at Graham Road since Bushey lost 10 dollars on the pokies and demanded that the club be charged with theft.

The game then set another direction with the Stingers smelling an opening and it was game on the Hornets lifted and the Swans looked rattled, the little guys that don't get the praise or the qudos week in and week out lifted and showed the boys from Sydney that the new boys on the block from Aspley would not lay down and be beaten. Swans shocked at this became rattled and their game plan was put into disarray, behinds soon turned into goals and the Hornets fought back to deliver the most unbelievable comeback win that the Aspley, the Swan's, the NEAFL and the AFL will see in any game this year and maybe through many years to come.

Those who chose to sit at home and not see this game have lost being a part of the most incredible game that they could ever wish to see. 22 part time Aspley Footballers have now attained Legendary Status at the Nest - This along with the Great John Blair who still in his humble way, stated after the game that it was the players who won the game, he and the coaching panel just gave them the belief and the direction on the best way to do it, and for Blairy and his team won it they did.

I am a bit jaded due to the amount of free flowing (responsible alcohol policy of course) drinks still being had at the nest, but once the batteries are recharged its bring on silly Sunday (no footy local or national WTF) and then its a run into Where is Wally again at Mad Monday.

Once I am semi sober I will comment on an instance of ordinary sportsmanship witnessed today by the Swan's coach that was not missed by many and also picked up by the the video tape of the game at match end - It's fine to be disappointed and show your disappointment not to win at games end, I think we all have been guilty of that from time to time, but the game requires a level of sportsmanship that should be displayed this IMO was very much lacking at games end. Enough said on this issue until another time - For now its off to the shower then off to the Port Office for more beer and band/bad humour.

Did we win - I think the way it goes is NO we S--t it in - Go the newly named Super Hornets and a big fat special thanks to the Swans for making the competition as credible as they could by the way they were all mentally shattered at the end of the 100 + minutes. Its a shame that the other 2 QLD side don't feel the quilt of mediocrity and draft to be competitive - 8 out of 12 of those listed players who played today for the Swans would make the lions a better side by a long way. The whole 12 and their Rookies and their Academy kids would turn the Suns from being touch up specials to Watch Out for us warriors.

Nice report. Having sat near Crouch when he's coaching I can assure he's a very passionate man and he wouldn't have liked losing today. But he's also a very fair and humble individual too and I can only hope what you're referring to was a result of his team falling throwing away a big lead and to lose on the siren as well.

Your opinions please on the free kick awarded to Aspleys Smith, who proceeded to kick the winning goal after the siren.... was it a legit free kick decision /?

as for the day. absolutely sensational. i think we'll be waiting for all the aspley bashers to eat their humble pie on here. so i'll just tell yiou to go cram it as far as i am concerned. the club is strong for a reason and it was on display.well done to the 2 clubs that won the 18s. whoever judged the bog have no idea. jed turner was bog. mitchell wasn't even the swans best

The throw is about 34 min in. Unfortunately the umpire blocks our view at the moment Richards disposes of the ball. The umpire's got the perfect view of it though and he immediately made the call so we have to trust it was the right decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back