Guy McKenna sacked as Gold Coast coach

May I ask what is the difference whether it's now or in a couple of years? Once a drug cheat always a drug cheat?

well you're right of course, but people have short memories, my point is he has zero chance next year maybe a tiny chance at some time in the future. I do think he will be available to coach Gold Coast next year. I don't think he would be considered though.

The hilarious thing for us Adelaide supporters was when he started on that coaches needed performance clauses in their contracts so Boards couldn't just sack them cause they felt like it. Um Bomber, guess what Sando had in his contract...

He was obviously upset a close friend of his lost his job, but he handled the media poorly imo, he came out swinging when he was still affected emotionally about the decision. He should have just said Sando is a close friend and that he had a lot of unfortunate circumstances hit him like the Tippett saga, Walker's injury, losing players to GWS & GC and that he felt he had held up well despite those hurdles.

I don't think it helps to start blaming the club, they obviously feel he isn't the right person going forward and when that is the case the position is untenable. All a contract does is provide you with economic security, there shouldn't be any agreement in place to keep a coach in power against the will the club.

Sando showed some disturbing cracks towards the end of the season, it seemed the pressure of the job was getting to him. I am not sure if true or not, but have heard rumours that the Crows players feel they haven't been conditioned well enough to go with the teams that focus hard on endurance, particularly the cross-town rival in Port Adelaide and there wasn't a consensus between coach and players in terms of that preparation.

If there is that difference of opinion then his position is untenable if he takes a stand and that stand doesn't deliver the desired result.

He was obviously upset a close friend of his lost his job, but he handled the media poorly imo, he came out swinging when he was still affected emotionally about the decision. He should have just said Sando is a close friend and that he had a lot of unfortunate circumstances hit him like the Tippett saga, Walker's injury, losing players to GWS & GC and that he felt he had held up well despite those hurdles.
Or perhaps Thompson knows about the inner working of Adelaide and wants nothing to do with them?

After all, Alistair Clarkson also gave them a whack in grand final week, and he has no connection to Sanderson as far as I'm aware.

Seriously? Freo still haven't won anything, Carlton finished 13th and Melbourne finished second last! Not really what I would call "working".

To be fair it is a minor miracle that any coach avoided the spoon with Melbourne playing that style of football!

Completely different circumstances

Plus I actually have seen them make more of an improvement across the board. They have lost Cameron, Ward, Davis, etc and they still looked to compete. Even after they were thrashed by West Coast, came back and did well after that. GC played like they were on Mad Monday for the last 7 weeks!

I've got more chance of coaching GC than Hird. Why would anyone employ a bloke with a drug scar across his face, is an arrogant self righteous prick and refuses to believe that he can make a mistake. I want to see him stay at Essendon and finish the work he started in completely destroying the club from the inside.
Not sure why a newly established club would want that sort of scrutiny and negative press around where the mission would be trying to sell hope for 2015.

You seriously want James Hird as the face of that club?
Would you really put it past GCS (who are basically a limb of the AFL) to do such a thing?

They have been in touch with Hird incase they don't get Thompson.

Sack your mail. Not a chance on earth of Hird being offered a job apart from the fruitloops at EFC. Hird should have been punted last year. Enough was enough. So much so that club is finished for me. If he is coach, it is just uneasy.
Wow, so you are a Swans supporter now? For good?

I don't think it helps to start blaming the club, they obviously feel he isn't the right person going forward and when that is the case the position is untenable. All a contract does is provide you with economic security, there shouldn't be any agreement in place to keep a coach in power against the will the club.

Sando showed some disturbing cracks towards the end of the season, it seemed the pressure of the job was getting to him. I am not sure if true or not, but have heard rumours that the Crows players feel they haven't been conditioned well enough to go with the teams that focus hard on endurance, particularly the cross-town rival in Port Adelaide and there wasn't a consensus between coach and players in terms of that preparation.

If there is that difference of opinion then his position is untenable if he takes a stand and that stand doesn't deliver the desired result.

From what I understand, from trusted reports, is that there were a lot of issues, with things really on show towards the end. I completely back the club in the decision they have made now. By all accounts, he would make a really good assistant coach. Head coach is completely beyond his capabilities. The club did try to replace Bailey but he kept putting it off. What it has shown me is that 2012 was a lot to do with Bailey's influence.

Trigg gone makes a huge difference too. He didn't want any money spent on the football department if he could help it. Now we have our cheque book open and a CEO who supports getting the best available for the club in the areas that need to be top notch, ie the football department. He's making all the right noises, so I'm waiting to see where the cards fall.

On topic, do we know when GC are going to get a CEO? They have no CEO and no Coach leading into trading and drafting time and from all accounts the Chairman wasn't very impressive at all.

Wow, so you are a Swans supporter now? For good?

Was an easy decision, my sister who hasn't been well this year is a Swans fan, been season members for a few seasons. I actually watch more Swans matches than other teams live.

Back