Aug 16, 2006
Queensland
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Jack Darling
Now just reading this:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-11/theres-a-lesson-for-every-club

I think reading between the lines, he was trying to fast track of a very talented young player base at the Club and the older players didn't like it, cause some of their mates were spared at the expense of the younger players.

Make no mistake, sentiment plays no part and the club is bigger than its players (WB and Essendon take note) and this guy has been around a long time, he would help fast track players at our club and could spend some extra time to soul search with players like Hill and Wellingham and turn them around and take a lot of pressure of Simmo who has still has a very green coaching team at his disposal.

McCartney comes with a lot of experience and has been part of personally coaching successful teams prior to his stint and as an assistant.

He would no doubt relish the chance to get away from Victoria you would think, is older, a career coach and you would think that traveling would not be an issue with him and he could even have a joint role with the WAFL club (Hey Swannies?)

What are peoples thoughts about getting in before someone else does as an assistant coach to Simmo, similarly if you will like Eade is to Buckley, a confidant, support and comes to the fold with experience to help Simmo in pressure situations.

Plus the upside is that McCartney would know a lot of people and help bring over some quality if he could get in the ear of two or three players.

I don't buy into the whole Bulldogs theory, its bullshit but could be a massive get for us. Thoughts?

Stereo

Last edited:
image15.png

is that humour? I am autistic I don't do humour.
There was something rotten at the Dogs, I wouldn't go anywhere near him. You say the older players didn't like him due to his youth focus, but that doesn't explain why Dahlhaus (allegedly) wanted to leave. It's a no from me.

There was something rotten at the Dogs, I wouldn't go anywhere near him. You say the older players didn't like him due to his youth focus, but that doesn't explain why Dahlhaus (allegedly) wanted to leave. It's a no from me.

Dalhaus has been around to be strongly bonded with the older players Murphy, Boyd, Minson et al. I think there is a lot more than we know about it. It would appear from the support that McCartney has received from the general public since yesterday (overwhelming to be honest for a coach forced to walk) says otherwise. Our culture is far stronger than the Bulldogs.

Actually, don't hate the idea. So long as he's a cultural fit with Simmo and the team he's building. Touch wood, but one of the nice bits of this boring trade period for us is that we're not having players ask to leave. Don't wanna mess with that.

I thought the Dalhaus leaving rumours only came about after McCartney was sacked?

In any case he hasn't done much since he left Wings, not to mention that one legged gold digger he married.

Whenever your captain wants to leave, you know there's something really wrong at the top. Big no from me
why aren't we putting this onto Griffen. Came out had a problem, said hed have no issue with the coach, goes away, comes back and tells them his bags are packed (not its either me or the Coach) then when the s**t hits the fan goes pig shooting. Leader indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why aren't we putting this onto Griffen. Came out had a problem, said hed have no issue with the coach, goes away, comes back and tells them his bags are packed (not its either me or the Coach) then when the s**t hits the fan goes pig shooting. Leader indeed.

Oh I'm certainly not defending Griffen, I mean a captain goes down with the ship, right? The thing that strikes me about Griffen is that he wanted to take a massive paycut (reported in the HUN and on SEN), he really, really wanted out and lay the blame squarely at McCartney. The fact that the coach 'quit' means there might be an ounce of truth to his concerns. I reckon McCartney could work under the right environment, like with a veteran coach who could rein in any troublesome tendencies but our entire coaching panel would probably be too inexperienced to deal with someone who by all appearances has polarised the senior players of the Western Bulldogs.

EDIT: I feel I should put in a funky gif but I'm on my phone. I'll find something when I get home ;)

This is the same bloke that was an assistant at Geelong and their players past and present raved on about how good a teacher and assistat coach he was .

Blokes like Ling, Mooney, Harley , Bartel and former coach Bomber Thompson can't speak highly enough about the job McCartney did to help the success at the Cattery.

He goes to the Dogs and try's to implement some discipline and structure and developed the young talent there and the soft utensil senior players ( who have never tasted or got anywhere near success ) crack the shits and have major dummy spits because their non accountable status quo is disrupted .

As Jack Elliot once described the Dogs " A Club with a sad and tragic history."

I don't hold it against Mcartney that he wasn't able to break the shackles of the nepotistic boys club that has been holding the Doggies back for years / decades.

The WB board should have backed the coach and traded out all the spineless soft utensils and given the coach more draft picks to mould and develops so side that could grow together as a contender .

Last edited:
hard to get the player culture out of a club that is run by past players. Garlick and now West wants to throw his hat in the ring. I know there are others but I cant be bothered researching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back