The Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really not a fan of stacking a side with allrounders. You get a bit of this and a bit of that. Never enough of one or the other.

Wouldn't mind it if they were genuine all-rounders, but these guys are 20/20 all-rounders, and those types rarely succeed in Test cricket. We'll just have to wait and see. I just hope Clarke doesn't have to bowl Maxwell all that often.

Last edited:
Recent history says this game is basically over already. If you're the touring team and lose the toss it never seems to end well these days.

Will take a remarkable effort already to win.

You're certainly not playing for rain over there.

Wouldn't mind it if they were genuine all-rounders, but these guys are 20/20 all-rounders, and those types rarely succeed in Test cricket. We'll just have to wait and see. I just hope Clarke doesn't have to bowl Maxwell all that often.

I'm kind of real ol' school when it comes to all-rounders: they have to command a spot based on their primary ability - as a batsman or bowler. Bat inside the top six or be one of the four frontline bowlers on merit.

I'm kind of real ol' school when it comes to all-rounders: they have to command a spot based on their primary ability - as a batsman or bowler. Bat inside the top six or be one of the four frontline bowlers on merit.

Yes, we have had the Sobers/Miller type of all rounder who would have commanded a spot on their batting or bowling. It was like having an extra player in the team. Then you have the Botham/Imran style of allrounder who are predominantly bowlers who could bat top 6. Then off course you had Greg Chappell / Richard Hadlee style who were either batsmen or bowlers who could perfrom the other discipline when required, and do it well.

However, what we are seeing now is the 20/20 style of all rounder who cannot bat not bowl to Test standard. Further proof of how Test cricket is decaying due to too much one day cricket. Maxwell couldn't bowl me out in the middle of the night.

So will we be batting tonight..............for a second time?

Worst case scenario for our team. Game almost gone in terms of a win unless we have a miraculous first session and we have never been one of these teams who can turn up on day 2 knowing we are already essentially playing for a draw, and somehow scrap hard for 4 days to hang on.

Poor start with dropped catch by Warner (gully) and stumping by Warner..... Yea warner is now keeping (Haddin off injured). Finally Warner gets the leg side catch off Starc.
Warner is keeping? What happened to Haddin?

Isnt Warner carrying a groin strain, I am sure keeping is going to help that! (Albeit I cant think of an obvious replacement for Haddin apart from Warner)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My harmony is no good either. Long week at work, the wife goes out trick or treating with our kids and leaves me with the goodies for the kids coming to our place. Up and down off couch every 2 minutes.

Have switched cricket off and put Metallica on full. Ran out of lollies so hopefully scares the kids away.

If they did, it would be nice for at least one of them to make a huge 100, like 160+, not throw it away just after they pass the 100.
Warner is the one I think.

Otherwise I think smith could make a ton.

Clarke and Warner the only ones who have the capacity to make a large (150+) hundred

Remove this Banner Ad

Back