if you compared Judd, Hodge and Ball after 3 years it would have been
1. Judd
2. Ball
3. Hodge

if you compare it now you would say
1. Hodge
2. Judd
3. Ball
No way. Judd has been far the superior player. Unfortunately on this site people get carried away with what happened last week instead of the last 10 years.

I would have Hogde any day over Judas if you factor not just playing career but as a loyal club man who would almost die for his club. Jack Dyer would approve.
If you were at a club with the drug culture they had you would have left too. The man has integrity of the highest order.

I really, really hope you're right, TJ, but please forgive my cynicism when I read the sort of crap that Blair Hartley was reported as saying in the Herald Sun. FJ's efforts, and that of Hartley himself, have been shithouse, a fact that didn't escape most Big Footy subscribers who went through this in great detail last year and published wholesale criticism of our football dept efforts.
I'm not suggesting that Hartley should say that in public, but better to say NOTHING than to continue on with the garbage that we, as supporters, were subjected to last year.
I will be convinced when they DO things, not when they SAY things. But as I said, I'm with you in wanting them to get it right.
My definition of shithouse is nothing went right. FJ has got a lot right, also a lot wrong particularly later in the draft but to me that doesn't deserve that rating.

In the spirit of the debate, I agree we have nailed some great first round picks. Deledio, Cotchin, Reiwoldt, and Ellis are as good as any and you would be delighted with them. But getting first rounders correct would be a minimum KPI I would have thought for recruiting officers. You would be a very easy marker if you said Conca was a success as pick 6. Vlastuin and Lennon show promise but I don't think we can fairly judge them yet.
My point is that Hartley said Jackson has done an "amazing" job. If he said that he has done an "adequate job", I wouldn't argue the point one way or the other, but they are his words, not mine.
If Jackson's efforts are "amazing" then I am totally incorrect about my definition of the word. I guess everyone sees it differently.
And I do apologise about putting words in your mouth, I simply made an assumption. I think our recruiting and development activities are ordinary and said so many times last year. The fact that some other clubs might languish around at our level is not relevant for mine.
We may well be much better this year in these areas, but words won't do it as far as I'm concerned, actions will.
Big difference between adequate and shithouse imo. I agree with the adequate rating mind you.

No way. Judd has been far the superior player. Unfortunately on this site people get carried away with what happened last week instead of the last 10 years.

ok conceed with Judd currently sits at:

Judd - 1x premiership, 2x Brownlow, 1x Norm Smith, 5 x B&F, 6x All Australian

Hodge - 3x Premierships, 3x All Australians, 2x Norm Smiths

Hodge has a few years left and Judd is done and dusted but Judd probably slightly ahead

I would have Hodge any day over Judas if you factor not just playing career but as a loyal club man who would almost die for his club. Jack Dyer would approve.
Its hard to pick as Judd clearly had a better first half of his career, Hodge clearly had a better 2nd half
Judd has won 2 Brownlows and a Premiership
Hodge has won 3 Premierships

If I could take Judd at his peak then I'd want him at Richmond over Hodge, but over an entire career... Hodge, just

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its hard to pick as Judd clearly had a better first half of his career, Hodge clearly had a better 2nd half

If I could take Judd at his peak then I'd want him at Richmond over Hodge, but over an entire career... Hodge, just
It wouldnt surprise me if we pick up Judd in 2 years time on a basic 2 year contract.

Imo you can't use flags as a guide as a player may be a gun but his team is junk. Then again you shouldn't use brownlows either as its very subjective. Very hard to pick a winner with these 2 players as they both are guns but for me player v player Judd is better.

Imo you can't use flags as a guide as a player may be a gun but his team is junk. Then again you shouldn't use brownlows either as its very subjective. Very hard to pick a winner with these 2 players as they both are guns but for me player v player Judd is better.
Except they both played in strong teams so I think its a fair criteria

Except they both played in strong teams so I think its a fair criteria
Maybe but it is very hard to win them. If the hawks had Judd instead of and vice versa would the flags flip and or would the results be different? I would think the hawks would've won more. But this is subjective I know.

i guess you cant count B&F's then as it was easier to win one at Carlton than the Hawks.
its actually a good comparison its very hard to choose

You may be right, but I know who I'd rather have as complete package. For me Hodgie wins hands down...

Hodge has never had to carry his club, whereas Judd has carried Carlton throughout the late 00's and early 10's. Even in his West Coast days, he was a key focal point of the Judd/Cousins/Kerr dream midfield. Whilst Hodge is an integral part of the Hawks lineup, he's mostly had a very solid group around him.

This is reflected in the fact that Judd has won 5 B&F's and 6 AA's, because at his club he stands out more than most.

If Hodge and Judd had played in the same team as each other, I would think Judd would be considered the better player, but Hodge has had the fortune of playing for a very successful club for a large portion of his career, and therefore, whilst Hodge's career achievements are better on paper, Judd to me is still the better overall player.

Just my two cents though! :)

Whilst we are discussing the blueprint...here is some food for thought...
Dimmas Career Coaching Record
In his 5 years he has won 45.5% of these games

How does this compare to all other AFL coaches.
1 Adam Simpson (1 season) 50%
2 Alan Richardson (1 season) 18.2%
3 Alastair Clarkson 61.8%
4 Brad Scott (5 seasons) 53.5%
5 Chris Scott 75.3%
6 Damien Hardwick 5 seasons 45.5%
7 John Longmire 67.7%
8 Justin Leppitsch 1 season 37.8%
9 Ken Hinkley (2 seasons) 59.2%
10 Leon Cameron 1 season 29.3%
11 Mark Thompson 61.1%
12 Mick Malthouse 57.1%
13 Nathan Buckley (3 seasons) 60.0%
14 Paul Roos 53.6%
15 Rodney Eade 53.9%
16 Ross Lyon 64.4%

As an experienced coach (5 years or more)..,45.5% ain't flash

Discuss

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/afl_coaches

Last edited:
Gale. Peggy. Dimma. All said we won't gloss over the 9 in a row and do something.

Trade period yielded us four fifths of **** all.

This is the draft they need to nail every pick. This is the pre season they need to develop like they say they can. This is the season that no excuses happen for where we finish in the season.

This is it. The last straw.

Wouldn't have wanted what was gettable at trade time.... Beams wasn't gettable, nor the oft-injured Bullies skipper. Boyd I would have wanted but not for that money. Not trading was a win..... Oh we could have got Trengove to add to our rehab group....:rolleyes:

I think our chances of nailing pick 70 or whatever it is are pretty bloody slim to be honest..... But you won't find me crying hysterically in a gutter when that player turns out not to be a 250 game, 3 time premiership winning Tiger captain..... We have 3 decent picks this draft and 2 that we should make a good fist of.... however, like every single draft in history.... it's speculative. The nature of the beast. We don't spend anywhere near as much as some clubs on drafting/recruiting yet they still make mistakes.....

As for excuses, some are reasons, some are rubbish. If Cotch, Lids, Dusty, Rance, JR and Maric miss 13 games each, then I'd be bloody amazed if we won more games than we lost. I'd cop that as an reason or an excuse.... I guess I'm not a big fan of grandiose statements such as 'no excuses, last straw, this is it or I'm gone forever.... blah blah blah.

Not a crack at you TigerBob, get the frustration but I hear the same crap from supporters of all teams.... and yet, back they come, season after season....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back