Live Event 2014 NAB AFL Draft Discussion - Coming to a Board Near You...

Remove this Banner Ad

So Declan Hamilton has elite endurance, decision making and skills??? That'll do me.

Webb looks like a lot of fun.

Which of the boys we took can play mid or half-back?? Can't fit em all in the forward half.
Webb's profile on the 'Dogs site says we see him as a half back flanker, which is interesting.

The fact that we took so many half-forward flankers means that we need to have a re-evaluation of the players who we considered mid/forwards, or could rest forward, into genuine inside midfielders.

Gone are the days were Stevens, Smith, Hrovat, etc. will play half-forward - they'll be inside midfielders.

It seems to me like we've adjusted to the fact that Boyd is now in our forward line and taken players who are genuine outside flankers with pace and link-up ability to get it into Boyd quickly and isolated.

Because of that we've targeted the need for outside players taking 3 HFF and one outside utilities in our first four picks followed up by a smokey pick.

Very much a draft that we targeted specific positions rather than best option.

Whether it's a good strategy remains to be seen.
There's the possibility that we plan to develop all of the guys we picked in order to play them in the midfield, and have an army of midfielders who can rest in the forward line.

Purely on the highlights, Bailey Dale's impressed me the most by some margin.

Its the only highlight video that shows any of our draftees consistently disposing by foot under pressure, exploding from congestion and kicking 50-60m goals. He has the best boot on him IMO. Based on the highlights alone he is the pick of the bunch.

decision making, skills by hand and foot...i'm happy

Before we picked them, but how about these names that sounded like nobodies?

Chris Grant
Scott West
Brad Johnson

All such generic names and sound like nobodies.
???

Johnno was an elite runner and first round pick and was well known pre-draft, Granty's brother was a country footy star (and we can't pick kids his age anymore nor are his type hidden) so the name wasn't unknown.

As other have said, we have added 2 key forwards (Boyd, Redpath) and 2 key defenders (Hamling, Cordy) to the senior list. As well as having 2 key defenders in Talia and Roberts who made next to no impact to last years team. We need these players to come on but they are there.

Our other glaring weaknesses were kicking and pace, which is clearly what the recruiting staff have tried to target in this draft. Good on them, they will have their critics but a bold strategy that I hope pays off. Welcome to the kennel boys. I look forward to seeing you play in the red, white and blue for the next decade.

We didn't technically add any key forwards to our list, nor key defenders. Essentially, it was Jones <-> Boyd in terms of list management, and Redpath was already on one of our lists. Same with defenders, Hamling <-> Austin, and Cordy isn't really a KPD (Not yet, if ever). Disappointing in terms of list management in terms to proportions of talls. Still severely lack depth there, but the most disappointing aspect of that is that the QUALITY options in terms of talls were there. Particularly disappointing was picking up 5 small/medium players, despite having a high proportion of short players on the list already. Who knows though, they all might go on to be 200+ gamers, but I doubt it, particularly when you take the structure of our list into account.

I just hope that we heavily target talls in the rookie draft, because anyone that argues we have a surplus of them is kidding themselves.

I see a bit of Hawks drafting great kickers in this draft.
Looking forward to see how this plays out.
We aimed at getting great kickers and speed ot a slow poor kicking side.
I'm ok with this.

???

Johnno was an elite runner and first round pick and was well known pre-draft, Granty's brother was a country footy star (and we can't pick kids his age anymore nor are his type hidden) so the name wasn't unknown.
Look at the post I quoted: I'm talking PURELY about the sound of their name. Not their talent or their achievements. Just how their name sounds. And honestly, if he didn't play for us and you had never heard the name "Chris Grant" before, it would sound a bit bland and boring.

Just found this, from Quayle on Dale:
MEDIUM FORWARDS

Bailey Dale (Dandenong Stingrays)

Born 22.7.96, 182cm, 70kg

AFL biography: Lightly framed medium forward with clean, quick hands and exciting agility. Uses the ball well and is smart around goals. Averaged 17.8 disposals in 18 games and kicking 13 goals.

Mark Wheeler, Dandenong Stingrays: "Bailey reminds me a bit of Taylor Garner or Nick Haynes because he has that bit of x factor. He's the cleanest player we've got, very lightly framed but he just keeps working. He was a bit under rated this year, so he got off the leash a few times and his confidence just grew and grew. He's a really quiet, unassuming kid and I think he's in a bit of shock because this time last year he was playing in a senior grand final for Aspendale and now he's going to a draft combine. It's been a bit of a whirlwind but we told everyone from day one our smokey would be Bailey. He's about 181cm now but he has size 13 feet so he should keep growing and he's just a pure late developer. He might be one who starts out on a flank given he's a good mover and finds so much space, but we played him in defence one day and he went back and got 12 possessions in a quarter so he has a bit of versatility."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Webb's profile on the 'Dogs site says we see him as a half back flanker, which is interesting.
maybe used as a intercepting defender with his height and close out speed?

Okay I can see that we have added Cordy and Hamling to Talia, Roughead and Roberts and Morris as KPD's but there is no excuse for not adding another KPF we have Boyd and Redpath, Stringer and Crameri are third tall/medium forwards I would have even been happy if we got a third tall type forward who could grow into a chf type but very disappointed we didn't take a punt on one there were options there

I just don't understand the argument of, "We should have added a KPF/KPD!" We clearly didn't rate any of the ones available at our picks. Would you rather us take a player we don't think will make it instead of somebody we think will make it based on position?

Okay, I'm backtracking... this was a very good draft by the dogs.
Skills galore. Dale looks a gun from his highlights. I like the fact that he is 181 cm with size 13 feet. Could (hopefully) grow to the 185-6 mark.

So Declan Hamilton has elite endurance, decision making and skills??? That'll do me.

Webb looks like a lot of fun.

Which of the boys we took can play mid or half-back?? Can't fit em all in the forward half.
What dannn said re webb,

They can all play mid, you'd think only webb back though but you just don't know at this stage.

Gotta add depth to our young forward/midfielder
Honey and Dal are locks for next year.

Boyd (Snow White) and the seven dwarves

1 - Dahl - Dopey
2 - Hrovat - Doc
3 - Daniel - Happy (happy he got drafted as smallest man in it!!)
4 - Honey - Grumpy
5 - JJ - Bashfull
6 - Hamilton - Sneezy (lighter than Menadue so could be blown over by a good sneeze)
7 - Fuller - Sleepy (has he woken up yet?)

Hiiiii Ho.....

I just don't understand the argument of, "We should have added a KPF/KPD!" We clearly didn't rate any of the ones available at our picks. Would you rather us take a player we don't think will make it instead of somebody we think will make it based on position?
We have gotten Cordy, Hamling and Boyd, plus assuming we'll take one or two in the RD.
Remember also how little games Talia and Roberts played this year, would surprise me if they both played 15+ games this season.
Push Roughy forward as a ruck/forward, play him with Boyd and our new raft of medium forwards, flag 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back