Game Day LIVE - AFL 2023 Draftwatch for the WB

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that they were considered the best options to help us win games 20 (!) and 13 times, respectively, is a pretty good reason, regardless of your personal opinions of the players themselves.
I don’t really have a problem with keeping those two, we’ve cut deep enough at the moment… although ill be annoyed if Doc is a lock again next year, he’s beyond cooked and was all year.

But not sure team selection is a good argument, O’Brien, Hannan, McComb, Mclean combined for over 20 games this season and they were all easy delistings.

Our team selection is just awful

I don’t really have a problem with keeping those two, we’ve cut deep enough at the moment… although ill be annoyed if Doc is a lock again next year, he’s beyond cooked and was all year.

But not sure team selection is a good argument, O’Brien, Hannan, McComb, McNeil combined for over 20 games this season and they were all easy delistings.

Was adding McNeil to that list a mistake? He's who we're talking about as being okay with being retained - definitely not an easy delisting.

Of the others, they played 3, 7, and 6 games - very different to 13 or 20.

Team selection was a problem at times this year but the ranking of games each player played were generally in keeping with the ranking of player quality/performance, with a few outliers one way or the other.

Our team selection can't be bad this year thankfully because they are gone McNeil and Duryea our worst I can handle, and they will be delisted next year with a very small list turnover then , go dogs

But not sure team selection is a good argument, O’Brien, Hannan, McComb, Mclean combined for over 20 games this season and they were all easy delistings.

Was adding McNeil to that list a mistake? He's who we're talking about as being okay with being retained - definitely not an easy delisting.

Of the others, they played 3, 7, and 6 games - very different to 13 or 20.

Team selection was a problem at times this year but the ranking of games each player played were generally in keeping with the ranking of player quality/performance, with a few outliers one way or the other.
McLean sorry, too many Mc’s.

I get those two played a lot more but realistically they shouldn’t have - I just don’t get how we can play these guys in nearly a qtr of the games each when there’s zero chance theyre on the list the next season.

Anyway we’ve cut deep enough so I’m fine with these two staying but geez if they play that many games again we’re in trouble.

Just watched all the clips of Sanders i could find. Thought I was watching Rylee West. We mustn’t have much faith that West is going to be the Libba in and under replacement.

Anyway we’ve cut deep enough so I’m fine with these two staying but geez if they play that many games again we’re in trouble.
I don't disagree. I'd be looking for <10 games for both (unless, of course, they show considerable improvement on their output) as a sign of team improvement.

To speak generally towards some of the posters that don't support them staying on, the idea is to turf the guys that weren't useful, and hope that the additions + natural progression of others knock the next tier down to the "not useful" category next year. There's no guarantee they will, though, so keeping some of that middle tier is important - otherwise you're weakening rather than strengthening your depth.

The chances of getting 13-20 games out of a rookie (especially in a draft where only a handful of non-AFL players were deemed worthy of rookie selection) are so slim. We almost certainly would have ended up with a weaker team because of it.

I don't disagree. I'd be looking for <10 games for both (unless, of course, they show considerable improvement on their output) as a sign of team improvement.

To speak generally towards some of the posters that don't support them staying on, the idea is to turf the guys that weren't useful, and hope that the additions + natural progression of others knock the next tier down to the "not useful" category next year. There's no guarantee they will, though, so keeping some of that middle tier is important - otherwise you're weakening rather than strengthening your depth.

The chances of getting 13-20 games out of a rookie (especially in a draft where only a handful of non-AFL players were deemed worthy of rookie selection) are so slim. We almost certainly would have ended up with a weaker team because of it.
Yeah agreed, we went deep in the ND too with 5x 18 yos, and still likely will take another rookie at some stage this off-season. So 6 new young players added to the list is more than enough for one season

I hope next year that this farce of not being allowed to match bids on your own NGA players until after pick 40 is given the flick. What a stupid ridiculous idea. Is Bozo the Clown in charge of AFL stupid ideas Department? Fair dinkum what a joke.

Classic AFL just make up random and arbitrary rules on the run with no logic or sense behind them whatsoever (See Free Agency compo formula).

Just watched all the clips of Sanders i could find. Thought I was watching Rylee West. We mustn’t have much faith that West is going to be the Libba in and under replacement.
He's a long way short of that. I have plenty of time for West but he's not in Libba's class and I don't think he'd fill that role adequately in the long run. I think the club got it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know where I can find a list of players taken in the rookie draft today?

Seems like the AFL has lost interest in the whole draft thing now that the main event has climaxed.
Rolling over to have a bit of a snooze.

🥱 Hope it was good for you too ... zzzzzzz.

Jack Callinan, Oscar Hine-Baston, Koen Sanchez
Any appealing mature age types?

The knock on drafting more 18yos is we become too unbalanced, especially if we need someone to step up in 2024 when our injury list starts to grow.

I know OHB is an overager but he's still only 19 I think. I'd be looking more for someone in his early 20s who is a late developer but is now ready to compete with seasoned men.

Any appealing mature age types?

The knock on drafting more 18yos is we become too unbalanced, especially if we need someone to step up in 2024 when our injury list starts to grow.

I know OHB is an overager but he's still only 19 I think. I'd be looking more for someone in his early 20s who is a late developer but is now ready to compete with seasoned men.
Chatfield

Chatfield
Yes, he's an interesting one. Assuming nobody else drafted him today he's still there but we've chosen to leave him undrafted so far. I read that a couple of clubs were interested in him. As were we.

That means there's a risk he could be picked up by someone else before our next dip (MSD or whatever).

We would know him well because he trained at VUWO, played for Footscray and was also one of our NGA players I think. So it seems we don't rate him highly enough in any area of need for the list. Perhaps he's next cab off the rank for us but we're holding fire in case a better option pops up?

Similar questions surround Lachie Sullivan. Did anyone draft him as a rookie? Does he offer us anything we haven't already got? He appeared to outperform most of the similar types from the senior list when they were playing alongside him in the VFL last year but I guess he hasn't got a ceiling any higher than that.

Last edited:
I saw someone posted that Freijah will be boarding with Libba. Anyone else have an idea who the rest might be linking with?

Surely Sanders gets the Bont.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back