Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Contrary to reputation and "specialty", going by his record on paper, Brett Lee hasn't really been that great a T20 bowler:

First Class record - 28.22 average, 49.6 strike rate, 3.40 economy rate
List A record - 24.05 average, 30.7 strike rate, 4.69 economy rate
T20 record - 29.89 average, 24.8 strike rate, 7.22 economy rate

Economy rate is good, especially for a quick, but (tonight notwithstanding) as a wicket-taker in the format, he is severely overrated.
In a similar vein, Glenn Maxwell's first class record compares reasonably favorably to his performances in the shorter formats.
He averages 40 in first class cricket, 34 in List A and 22 in T20, i.e essentially equally solid in all formats despite his playstyle and the perception of him.

n.b With the ball he averages 39 in FC, 41 in List A and 35 in T20

In a similar vein, Glenn Maxwell's first class record compares reasonably favorably to his performances in the shorter formats.
He averages 40 in first class cricket, 34 in List A and 22 in T20, i.e essentially equally solid in all formats despite his playstyle and the perception of him.

n.b With the ball he averages 39 in FC, 41 in List A and 35 in T20

Just shows how misleading stats are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll give you Football, but the rest, no.

I'm guessing some would argue Rugby but can't think of any other decent ones myself to be honest.

Are we including things that are called World Championships ?- because if we don't 90% of the remaining sports are excluded.

I'm guessing some would argue Rugby but can't think of any other decent ones myself to be honest.

Are we including things that are called World Championships ?- because if we don't 90% of the remaining sports are excluded.
I'd put cricket third, behind Football and Rugby but ahead of Basketball and Rugby League.

Only 4 teams have won the Rugby World Cup (Australia, South Africa, England and New Zealand), and only one country has contested the final otherwise (France). It's rarely going to have a winner outside of those 4 teams. The CWC has had 5 winners and 2 of the favourites for the upcoming tournament have never been in the final.

Yeah at first I scoffed at the Cricket WC being that high rated but even when you think about it most of the major nations for Rugby play cricket and then you add the sub continent. On pure numbers of supporters it would probably be second. Basketball potentially has more numbers but just doesn't seem that big a deal for some reason

Yeah at first I scoffed at the Cricket WC being that high rated but even when you think about it most of the major nations for Rugby play cricket and then you add the sub continent. On pure numbers of supporters it would probably be second. Basketball potentially has more numbers but just doesn't seem that big a deal for some reason

The India vs Pakistan match is expected to have in excess of 1 billion viewers. That tops any rugby match by some margin, plus compares with the FIFA world cup finals. I'm not saying that the cricket world cup even comes close to the FIFA world cup in terms of overall global impact, but surely it beats the rugby world cup.

The India vs Pakistan match is expected to have in excess of 1 billion viewers. That tops any rugby match by some margin, plus compares with the FIFA world cup finals. I'm not saying that the cricket world cup even comes close to the FIFA world cup in terms of overall global impact, but surely it beats the rugby world cup.
Yeah I agree with that, I just hadnt thought through that. In a way those numbers push against the fifa wc. Can you imagine the numbers if China and India played off in a Fifa final?

America won the last final by 37 points.

Union isn't exactly the no.1 sport outside of SA and NZ.
Can't see why you'd have it ahead of the cricket WC.

Still massive in other countries, just to name a few
Probably second most popular sport in Wales and Ireland, massive in France, Scotland and England.

Still massive in other countries, just to name a few
Probably second most popular sport in Wales and Ireland, massive in France, Scotland and England.
Yet only one of those countries has won the thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back