Retired # 5: Brent Stanton - Essendon VFL Head Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Stanton was our best player in the 2011 final in a side that was beaten by ten goals.

He was one of our better players in the 2009 debacle in Adelaide. 24 possessions.

He was a kid in his first season in the 2004 finals against Melbourne and Geelong.

His final against North was the first time he underperformed in a final relative to his expected output. And there's a fair argument he shouldn't have been playing if he needed a hip arthroscope straight after.

What is this s**t, logic? Pfft that's not welcome in Brent Stanton threads.

The discussion in this thread is amusing. Stanton is the guy who is nearly always there to receive, either in attack or defence. He racks up consistently massive numbers and loses tagging players because he runs all day. One poor performance in a final doesn't mean he isn't up to it, injury or not. Would anyone imagine Freo dispensing with Ballas after his Grand Final last year? I don't think so. The guy is a keeper. So is Stants. Go Stants!

The discussion in this thread is amusing. Stanton is the guy who is nearly always there to receive, either in attack or defence. He racks up consistently massive numbers and loses tagging players because he runs all day. One poor performance in a final doesn't mean he isn't up to it, injury or not. Would anyone imagine Freo dispensing with Ballas after his Grand Final last year? I don't think so. The guy is a keeper. So is Stants. Go Stants!
I think it's this other end of the spectrum like this that fuels the trade talk. The truth is somewhere in the middle, where we probably can't afford to let him be the link up guy anymore. If he could run a defender into the ground in the forward half then get a couple of late goals as a result we might have a solution.

Christ.......

Brent Stanton has been a fantastic, FANTASTIC servant of this club. Has had the misfortune of joining the club as we plumbed the depths of how bad we can be as a club through the mid to late 2000s, and into this decade.

Has consistently (hasn't failed to play 20 games since 2005) stood up in a side that has for long periods been nothing sort of s**t.

Every single club in the league would love a player like Stanton. Goes out every week, runs his ****ing arse off for his team mates and contributes.

Is he a superstar? No. But as is the BF way, if he's not a superstar he's a spud.

Trade him? Delist him?? FFS.......

You must be joking if you're considering getting rid of a guy that gut runs like Stanton does.

To me, Scully is similar to Stanton. He's never going to be the star - more often than not, the whipping boy - but he is vital as he provides that link up play all day and consistently lays tackles at the same time. Stanton even has the benefit of bobbing up for a goal or 2!

My question is whether Stanton will finish top 10 in the B and F ?

Think he may scrape in 9th or 10th.

No. Will be lucky to get into the top 15..

Ryder, Heppell, Goddard, Hooker, Hurley, Myers, Z Merrett, Hibberd, Baguley, Zaka, Hocking (gets consistent points for 'roles' throughout the year) are all most likely ahead of him by the way the votes are calculated..

and then Daniher, Chapman and Coyler are strong chances to be in front also..

Two that I have no idea whether they will poll well: Carlisle, Watson

So somewhere between 11-16.. My guess would be 14th.
10th it was Yaco!

So out of the 14 I thought would be ahead of him, Myers, Colyer, Daniher, Hocking and Z Merrett didn't poll in the top 10.. but all won individual awards!

So good result for Stanton.. another top 10 finish!

I'm kind of hoping he'll exercise his right to free agency come seasons end. Could be a win/win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm kind of hoping he'll exercise his right to free agency come seasons end. Could be a win/win.
Get the feeling he loves the club and wouldn't want to leave, but I agree that he is finished. I'd prefer he retired, or better yet, is reborn next season and wins the Crichton!

Runs all day, not many of our other mids do and dont have the biggest/best tanks ie: Heppell, Watson, Myers, Cooney, Goddard ect so he has something that we need.If we still look slow with Cooney, Colyer, Dempsey all firing then ill be looking at Stanton, Hocking ect to add some speed to the lineup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back