Retired # 5: Brent Stanton - Essendon VFL Head Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

My question is whether Stanton will finish top 10 in the B and F ?

Think he may scrape in 9th or 10th.
No. Will be lucky to get into the top 15..

Ryder, Heppell, Goddard, Hooker, Hurley, Myers, Z Merrett, Hibberd, Baguley, Zaka, Hocking (gets consistent points for 'roles' throughout the year) are all most likely ahead of him by the way the votes are calculated..

and then Daniher, Chapman and Coyler are strong chances to be in front also..

Two that I have no idea whether they will poll well: Carlisle, Watson

So somewhere between 11-16.. My guess would be 14th.

Yep

Yep! 250 games, how many times has he been named in the best when we've won a final? It's pretty simple Ben, Stanton has gone missing in the past in big games and he will continue to go missing when it truly counts. Make all the excuses you want for Stanton, it doesn't negate the fact he's finished.

Injury or no injury he allowed Goldstein to run past during the last quarter, when the game was on the line he couldn't beat a ruckman in a race for the ball.

Would you see players like Mundy, Lewis or Bartel let that happen?

If we accept this mediocrity, and continue to make excuses for weak efforts it will be a long time before we win another flag.
That doesn't make any sense. Stanton has stood up and been a huge factor in winning big games for us dozens of times. Just because none of those happened to be in a final series is irrelevant.
That said, he has become a bad fit for our midfield. I think he needs to become a forward with short stints in the midfield if at all possible.

That doesn't make any sense. Stanton has stood up and been a huge factor in winning big games for us dozens of times. Just because none of those happened to be in a final series is irrelevant.
That said, he has become a bad fit for our midfield. I think he needs to become a forward with short stints in the midfield if at all possible.

I understand your interpretation of a big game and my interpretation of a big game are different. However our record of not winning a final over the previous 10 years is irrefutable; as a club we are trying to rectify that. in my opinion, we should either seek a trade for Brent this year. If unsuccessful his contract should not be renewed post 2015.

Jobe Watson and Paddy Ryder have never played well in a winning final either.

Given that we haven't won a final since 2004, it's an absolutely irrelevant metric to be judging Stanton by.

Jobe Watson and Paddy Ryder have never played well in a winning final either.

Given that we haven't won a final since 2004, it's an absolutely irrelevant metric to be judging Stanton by.

You're quite right Doss, we haven't won a final for 10 years. It's about time we start to replace the players who haven't been able to get the job done, Stanton is at the head of the departure lounge in my opinion.

We have already.

It's why the likes of Davey, Jetta, Lonergan and Dyson (who was very unlucky to be chopped in my view) aren't at the club anymore.

Stanton is not in that category. We would have been a considerably worse team in the past ten years minus Stants.

We have already.

It's why the likes of Davey, Jetta, Lonergan and Dyson (who was very unlucky to be chopped in my view) aren't at the club anymore.

Stanton is not in that category. We would have been a considerably worse team in the past ten years minus Stants.

Brent Stanton is next in line, he should thank his manager he's not out of contract this year, after that insipid performance last week. Again I'll mention that contest in the last quarter when he allowed Goldstein to beat him to the ball when the game was on the line (injury or not).

You wouldn't see Watson, Ryder or Lonergan allow that to happen.

We can continue this discussion if you so desire, I'm ready if you are!!!!

He was outrun because he had a hip problem- he probably shouldn't have been playing. He would not be outrun by Goldstein normally.

He is not even close to next in line.

The metrics you are using to criticise him are absurd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was outrun because he had a hip problem- he probably shouldn't have been playing. He would not be outrun by Goldstein normally.

He is not even close to next in line.

The metrics you are using to criticise him are absurd.

I can change the metrics if you want Doss! What can't be changed is history.

You're quite right. What can't be changed is that he's been one of our more consistent players over the past decade.

Yes it's been a bad decade but to pretend he, and not someone like Jarrod Atkinson, is the poster boy of that is just wrong.

I'm not pretending he's a star- he's not. But if we had more players over the past ten years who work as hard as he does, then we'd have been a much better side.

I can change the metrics if you want Doss! What can't be changed is history.
Then change the metrics ffs! Delist one of the best players we have had over the last 10 years because he was beaten to the ball when injured on one occasion? That is an embarrassing argument to make.
To repeat myself, there is an argument to be made that he is a bad fit for the midfield looking ahead, but for a great club man like he is you would want to explore alternative roles. I very much doubt he would want to be traded, and to do so would create more damage to the team spirit than it would be worth for the value you would get.

Brent Stanton is next in line, he should thank his manager he's not out of contract this year, after that insipid performance last week. Again I'll mention that contest in the last quarter when he allowed Goldstein to beat him to the ball when the game was on the line (injury or not).

You wouldn't see Watson, Ryder or Lonergan allow that to happen.

We can continue this discussion if you so desire, I'm ready if you are!!!!

I think Pears, Melksham, Dell and Kommer are all ahead of Stants in terms of being at the bottom of our list.

Then change the metrics ffs! Delist one of the best players we have had over the last 10 years because he was beaten to the ball when injured on one occasion? That is an embarrassing argument to make.
To repeat myself, there is an argument to be made that he is a bad fit for the midfield looking ahead, but for a great club man like he is you would want to explore alternative roles. I very much doubt he would want to be traded, and to do so would create more damage to the team spirit than it would be worth for the value you would get.

No need to swear mate, it just degrades your statement. I agree that he is no longer a good fit for our midfield, my recollection of the game is that he didn't spend a lot of time in the middle. Hence why I believe his time is extremely limited.
As for a great clubman, yep he may be a good bloke, I don't know him personally but his job is to win games of football; especially finals.

And Hardingham. And Steinberg. And many others.
Hardingham is currently being shopped around, Steinberg would need to improve.

This is the debate that's hopefully occurring/ about to occur at Tulla; tough decisions will need to be made for our club to improve.

We all want to achieve the ultimate success again it'll be a minimum of 15 years since our last flag

Stanton was our best player in the 2011 final in a side that was beaten by ten goals.

He was one of our better players in the 2009 debacle in Adelaide. 24 possessions.

He was a kid in his first season in the 2004 finals against Melbourne and Geelong.

His final against North was the first time he underperformed in a final relative to his expected output. And there's a fair argument he shouldn't have been playing if he needed a hip arthroscope straight after.

I can't believe people would actually want to trade Stanton. What do you expect to get for him?

If he ever dropped to the 15-22 best players on our list I would be extremely happy. Would mean our list is very strong!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back