Your 'Back to the Future' Moment

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd consider Bill Russell's Boston Celtics as the best "team" ever in basketball anyway (the 90s Bulls I'd rate second). As the most dominant basketball player ever Wilt is my guy. With Russell's Celtics he won 11 championships in 13 years! Insane stuff! And he did when guys like Wilt, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor and Jerry West were a part of the game, all of whom I'd regard as being among the 10 greatest basketballers historically.

My comment regarding Wilt is purely that he is the greatest even athletic specimen (and a guy who could play and dominate at pretty much any ball sport and a guy who tests elite in more physical categories than anyone ever will have). In terms of dominating a particular sport for a long time and being without equal I'm not claiming that with Wilt as there are the likes of Tiger Woods, Kelly Slater, Tony Hawk et al who individually go down as guys where in their sport there isn't even a discussion as to who the greatest ever was. Whereas in basketball most fans will say Michael Jordan is the greatest or Magic Johnson or whoever they like, or if they're from the 50/60s you might even have other responding Bill Russell as that ultimate winner in basketball.

This would be a good thread some time KM - best team ever, in the pure sense of the term. Must put it on the shelf for another slow period!

I'd love to go back and be at Victoria Park through Collingwood's Mean Machine years of '27-30. I'd also love to see the Don make all his runs and win the Ashes for Australia. Also Nadal/Federer wimbledon epic final.

As part of a process of inflicting my own childhood on my children I possibly sank to a new low this morning by screening the critically un-acclaimed 'Back to the Future II'. Surprisingly they liked it as they did the first one. I asked them the question - if you could go back in time what time would you go to? To which my son replied 'Id go back in time to watch Nathan Buckley play for Collingwood.' Obviously I was filled with pride and a sensation that I am raising my kids right.

Then I got to thinking, when would I go? What would I do? Who would I like to see that I didn't see play? What would be my BTTF moment? I think the ultimate one would be to get down into the race in my little Michael j Fox outfit and accidentally trip or knock senseless Ted Hopkins as he was running out for the second half of the 1970 GF and then watch McKenna kick the icing on the cake goal. 2 birds with one stone, remedy the biggest Grand Final travesty in history and see the greatest player I haven't seen (along with John Greening in the same game).

Who would you go back in time to see or what moment would you try to change? What's your ultimate Back to the Future Moment?

Don't bother knocking out Hopkins, that he won the GF is just false legend. Get out to Tuddy late in the 2nd and stop him taking our Peter Mc Kenna in friendly fire. Prevent that and we win the 1970 flag

Can you change the past?

Stop Cloke from being suspended 2002 and Rocca 2003.

Although I watched the 1990 GF live on TV and have re-watched it more times than I could count, I would go back there and beg, borrow or steal a ticket to go to the match. I can think of plenty of great things I'd like to see but for pure emotion, nothing I can think of comes close to that drought breaker. Having been born in '59, it meant more to me than any other Collingwood moment I can even imagine.

Just from a historical view, 1927-1930 Premierships.

Yep. You'd have to go back and be around for 4 flags in a row.

Also, Wilt Chamberlain? Please people, a 7 foot black guy playing in a league of short white men was always going to dominate. If you took Michael Jordan back into Wilt's era, he'd score 400 points a game.

You can pretty much write off any "great" before the 70's in the NBA if we're being honest. The NBA as we now know it didn't really start until the 80's.

Pretty sure the OP's intention was for this thread to relate to Collingwood. Perhaps the basketball stuff should be moved?

Note that I have nothing against basketball but it is clogging up the thread a bit.

Guys we can't be changing history. Knocking out Ted Hopkins could destroy the fabric of the space/time continuum.

You could change the result of the 1970 GF and get back to the present only to learn that Nathan Buckley never played for us, instead he played his entire career for St Kilda and in fact captained them to victory over us in the 2010 GF, before taking over from Ross Lyon as coach in a seamless and harmonious transition the following year, where he coaches them to 4 more premierships.

Look it up, it's science!!

Although I watched the 1990 GF live on TV and have re-watched it more times than I could count, I would go back there and beg, borrow or steal a ticket to go to the match. I can think of plenty of great things I'd like to see but for pure emotion, nothing I can think of comes close to that drought breaker. Having been born in '59, it meant more to me than any other Collingwood moment I can even imagine.

Now I feel guilty for being able to go the 1990 GF. I can imagine how you felt because I was there with my dad who, although he did get to see the 58 flag, managed to be present for very single one of the 9 losing and drawing GFs in between. To see and hear the end of his 32 years of frustration and heartbreak when Dougie Barwick slotted that first goal of the last quarter is probably my favourite ever childhood memory.

The late 20's , 30's machine team.
1990 wouldve been amazing, i missed out by a couple of months!!!:(
Will never forget the year 2010, best year of my life, everything was going right, wow had some big celebrations then, especialy living in the bayside are where every 2nd person barracks for the Saints.
Around Frankston for those 2 weeks they had big flags on the light poles saying ''go saints''. Nearly getting bashed while parading down the streets with my mates, was all worth it, we were proud to wear the jumper and always will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now I feel guilty for being able to go the 1990 GF. I can imagine how you felt because I was there with my dad who, although he did get to see the 58 flag, managed to be present for very single one of the 9 losing and drawing GFs in between. To see and hear the end of his 32 years of frustration and heartbreak when Dougie Barwick slotted that first goal of the last quarter is probably my favourite ever childhood memory.

Yep....it was like that. I mirrored your dad in that I'd been to '58 and then every schemozzle in between that and '90. But when Daics kicked that fantastic goal in the first quarter I knew we were there....when Rowdy came back on after being KO'd....that was just icing on the cake.

I'd like a couple of trips.........

First, to stand outside match committee for selection of 2002 Grand Final team. I'd push my face up to a crack in the door and say, "rain forecast on Saturday, just like ANZAC Day...McGough will be a great inclusion". That sorts that flag

Next trip 2011 Grand Final. Stand outside the coaches box. "Mick! Mick! What about taking the bloke who can't walk to full forward and put Tarrant on Hawkins before he gets his confidence up?" Another flag

Third trip to semi final against Adelaide 2009. Find the Crows supporter of YouTube's "right in front of me" fame, then when Jack takes the mark, open my eyes wide with mock horror, put one hand over my open mouth, point at Jack with the other hand and say, "DID YOU SEE THAT!?? I can't believe it! " No flag but a lot of fun.

Guys we can't be changing history. Knocking out Ted Hopkins could destroy the fabric of the space/time continuum.

You could change the result of the 1970 GF and get back to the present only to learn that Nathan Buckley never played for us, instead he played his entire career for St Kilda and in fact captained them to victory over us in the 2010 GF, before taking over from Ross Lyon as coach in a seamless and harmonious transition the following year, where he coaches them to 4 more premierships.

Space Time Continuum. Love it! Heaps LOL.

There are a few elements to the film that do test the limits of credibility. My favourite being the imagined flying cars of the year 2015. Not quite there yet. The I phone however, I could never have imagined that in 1985. Who could have thought that after 12 years of marriage I would never need to talk to my wife again. (Sooo many football apps)

Great observation about the nature of cause and effect that while maybe not pure science has a level of truth. It's how I often console myself in my darker hours, if X and Y hadn't happened then quite probably 1990 or 2010 also might not have happened. Good point!

Yep....it was like that. I mirrored your dad in that I'd been to '58 and then every schemozzle in between that and '90. But when Daics kicked that fantastic goal in the first quarter I knew we were there....when Rowdy came back on after being KO'd....that was just icing on the cake.

Rob. I don't know how the hell you went through all of those nightmares (like my Mum did) and remained sane and kept the faith. I'm guessing some kind of off-field stimulant. Either way you have my total respect.

I'd like a couple of trips.........

First, to stand outside match committee for selection of 2002 Grand Final team. I'd push my face up to a crack in the door and say, "rain forecast on Saturday, just like ANZAC Day...McGough will be a great inclusion". That sorts that flag

Next trip 2011 Grand Final. Stand outside the coaches box. "Mick! Mick! What about taking the bloke who can't walk to full forward and put Tarrant on Hawkins before he gets his confidence up?" Another flag

Third trip to semi final against Adelaide 2009. Find the Crows supporter of YouTube's "right in front of me" fame, then when Jack takes the mark, open my eyes wide with mock horror, put one hand over my open mouth, point at Jack with the other hand and say, "DID YOU SEE THAT!?? I can't believe it! " No flag but a lot of fun.

Very clever. Worst thing about being a Pie fan is obviously the countless near misses. The flags that could be turned on a dime and coulda been/shouldabeen. Love the name and the avatar. Nice work.

PS. Not to drag up bad memories again but that 02 GF was the first Collingwood GF I attended. I would swear The Bears won that flag on the strength of their efforts in time on in every quarter which became the Aker show. It's like they stole it in about 5 minutes of actual play when they got off the leash. We would have to be the worst 'time on' side in football history I reckon. So many bad things happen to us then. Although to be fair I guess they exerted themselves so much with defensive pressure they must have lost their legs toward the end of each q.

Funny where life takes you. Licuria's daughter just started prep in my daughter's class. She was over for a party At our house recently. Nice family.

Interfering with the space/time continuum is a relative risk. Yes there is the chance of raining down pestilence on the human race, wiping out species of animals and all other sorts of unholy events. Great care is required if you wanna frig around with that stuff.

As I said though it's relative. You are proposing that removing a flag from Carlton and restoring it to it's rightful owner Collingwood could be counter balanced by a sheath of cataclysmic disasters. Gotta say I don't see it. Has to be worth the risk.

Interfering with the space/time continuum is a relative risk. Yes there is the chance of raining down pestilence on the human race, wiping out species of animals and all other sorts of unholy events. Great care is required if you wanna frig around with that stuff.

As I said though it's relative. You are proposing that removing a flag from Carlton and restoring it to it's rightful owner Collingwood could be counter balanced by a sheath of cataclysmic disasters. Gotta say I don't see it. Has to be worth the risk.

Great Scott!!!

No need to feel guilty. I'll just stay jealous. Mind you, I spent the day with my father in law who was a rabid bombers supporter and regardless of the fact that I couldn't go to the game, I drew plenty of satisfaction from watching him become less and less vocal as the match wore on. That goal from Dougie pretty much did it for me too. The tears in my eyes tasted so much sweeter than the ones I cried in 1977 or any of the other losing GF's. It's impossible to express the elation of 32 years of pent up emotion all released in one moment. Nope, there's no other moment I could vote for than to have been there that day. Awesome!

1979 GF and Wayne Harmes anyone? Restore sight to the boundary umpire that day? Repaint the boundary line so the umps could see it? Gotta be up there with all our woulda/coulda/shoulda missed flags.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back