Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

I never really felt like he should have been captain, and it just seems like ever since he's been given it he's dropped off the ball. 34 disposals yesterday and no impact on the game.

Sure maybe give Cotch captaincy down the track, but I don't think he was ready to handle being a dominant player and captain. In saying that thought, last year was OK and it's only two rounds into the season. A long way to go.

I've not been completely sold on Trent being captain nor Lids for that matter.....In saying that , who would be a viable alternative at the moment. Someone who thrives with additional responsibility... I like Brando myself (Vloss, maybe), but both may be a bit young at the moment? But who else ?

I've not been completely sold on Trent being captain nor Lids for that matter.....In saying that , who would be a viable alternative at the moment. Someone who thrives with additional responsibility... I like Brando myself (Vloss, maybe), but both may be a bit young at the moment? But who else ?
Reckon Vlastuin is the captain for the future, give it to Lids for a few years and have Vlas take over. Or something along those lines.

I like Riewoldt's passion

Also, every time Lids has had to captain the side he's embraced it and gone to another level.

That game against Port a few years ago rings a bell, where he was copping it from the media leading up to the game, he led the boys out due to a Cotchin injury and played one of his best games ever.

I don't know whats happened but he is nowhere near the player he was a few years ago.

I thought he had an average year last year and I strongly disagreed with him winning the BnF over Ellis, Martin and Rance.

At his best he was one of the most elusive and damaging midfielders in the league, now he gets all of his possessions doing silly sideways kicks and getting pointless 1-2s. Not only that, when he does take the ball forward he ends up turning it over more often than not.

From all reports and what we see his captaincy is less than inspiring - he's never seemed comfortable with it, and his best football was before it was handed to him. I would have Lids captain the side and let Cotch focus on footy.

I know my opinion won't be a popular one on here as he is everyones lovechild (and fairly so), but I think this is an issue which has slowly been bubbling away for a while now.

Actually, since Tex has torn it up as Captain for the Crows the thought did cross my mind.

I have a feeling they put guys through a psych test , interview and then pick a captain.

Don't know but maybe Lids or someone else should be captain? I do not think Cotch has been that bad as a Captain but are their better options in terms of raising the passion and belief in the group, getting everyone on board? Dunno, don't know who the other option would be.

I would nearly pick Rance but I do not want it to affect his back line prowess.

Is Trent transparent and open enough to be Captain. Seems a little political and reserved at times in the way he comes across. I don't know.

I would like Trent to be a bit more confident and outspoken at times, speak from the heart, and say what you really think unless it is really sensitive

Last edited:
I don't know whats happened but he is nowhere near the player he was a few years ago.

I thought he had an average year last year and I strongly disagreed with him winning the BnF over Ellis, Martin and Rance.

At his best he was one of the most elusive and damaging midfielders in the league, now he gets all of his possessions doing silly sideways kicks and getting pointless 1-2s. Not only that, when he does take the ball forward he ends up turning it over more often than not.

From all reports and what we see his captaincy is less than inspiring - he's never seemed comfortable with it, and his best football was before it was handed to him. I would have Lids captain the side and let Cotch focus on footy.

I know my opinion won't be a popular one on here as he is everyones lovechild (and fairly so), but I think this is an issue which has slowly been bubbling away for a while now.
Just has his oppo hang off him and he just doesn't have any influence, when he does get clear.

Also, every time Lids has had to captain the side he's embraced it and gone to another level.

That game against Port a few years ago rings a bell, where he was copping it from the media leading up to the game, he led the boys out due to a Cotchin injury and played one of his best games ever.
I would have given it to him for a few years myself, then flip it to Cotch.

I had a post about this last year and I split the forum. I'll quote it when I get home because I totally agree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cotchins main problem in my opinion is his running patterns and outrageous way he is trying to shake a tag.. runs behind getting cheapies too much often putting himself under pressure and scrubs it ofter or comes screaming in from the side or front demanding a one metre handball in heavy traffic often in a worst option situation.... cotch when we have control of the ball run to the open spaces towards our goal, dont run to the ball carrier and demand it from the him in heavy traffic.

So here is my post around this time last year and I still strongly hold these opinions

I want to open a can of worms here and stimulate some discussion and debate.

I have been watching some of our 2012 wins on afl.com.au and seeing them has made me realise something. Since then cotchin has under performed greatly. Since then I cannot think of a game were his class and skill have dominated a game. Since then his disposal and decision making have gone backwards. Since then (in my opinion) he has slipped from superstar to the mid to bottom end of elite. I used to look at him as standing head and shoulders above deledio however that has all changed now. Now they are on par as their negatives out weigh their positives.

I think that his current attitude should be reassessed for captain. I personally think he is not that great because we currently lack on field leadership. Also his comments last year or the year before that (cant really remember) when he said that he would seriously consider retiring from football if Richmond won the flag should seriously be looked at. If I was the coach I would have stripped his captaincy right there. We seemed to have more on field leadership with Newman as captain at the moment.

I am going to be perfectly honest here. In the last few matches I have groaned whenever Cotchin goes to kick the ball, much the same as I groaned when tambling some how found it. Whether it is increased attention or the captain duties I have no idea but he has taken a major step backwards. I only hope for the clubs sake it is to make a running start forward.

In fairness, it's not like Cotchin ever had the example of a decent captain who lifts and inspires their side, nor for that matter, Newman before him. We had to buy his first captain from another club at massive overs because we had no real leaders and he performed pretty poorly overall IMO.

If Jackson had managed to hold his form and body together another 2-3 years, he would have been a perfect choice. I'm not sure Cotchin ever would have been a good choice, a good captain has genuine fire in the belly and a killer instinct. Of all the great attributes Cotchin has, doubt many would include those things high on the list.

As to the matter of his form, as I said on the Hardwick thread, I can't seriously believe that a player once so talented at choosing the right option, has suddenly lost the ability to do so because of a mental failing on his part, or for that matter, because he's now a captain.

We either deliberately play a game-plan with a lot of meaningless possessions and (as a result) slow transition, or after all this time, the coaching staff still haven't been able to get us moving the ball fluently, efficiently and quickly. Cotchin's just the poster boy of how much Hardwick's whole system reeks of incompetence. He's turned a born footballing champion into Tim Fleming.

Like all of our players they'd improve across the board under Stewie Dew or Nathan Bassat . Hardwick has not improved our players they are going backwards under him.

If we were serious about making the change up until 2 weeks ago you'd think Maric would be the best option but his form is down at the moment . We might have to talk Newy into playing another 2 years.

I'd keep Cotch as Captain and have him play under a new coach that doesn't cup his balls and cherish his cheap 10 m kicks .

The seemingly decrease in meters gained by his possessions, is no doubt a result in the change in game plan .
All of our midfielders are getting the ball and going backward and our sidewards , the same thing happened at the start of last year . I put it down to an overreaction to being smacked in a final, wanting slow and wide ball movement to allow defenders to send up behind the ball, ala Colllingwood a few years ago . Once we played more attacking last year Cotchin came into his own . He still won a s**t load of clearances yesterday just had no run outside or from behind the contest to give it to .

Last edited:
The seemingly decrease in meters gained by his possessions, is no doubt a result in the change in game plan .
All of our midfielders are getting the ball and going backward and our sidewards , the same thing happened at the start of last year . I put it down to an overreaction to being smacked in a final, wanting slow and wide ball movement to allow defenders to send up behind the ball, ala Colllingwood a few years ago . Once we payed more attacking last year Cotchin came into his own . He still won a s**t load of clearnaces yesterday just had no run outside or from behind the contest to give it to .
Who's fault is that?

Like all of our players they'd improve across the board under Stewie Dew or Nathan Bassat . Hardwick has not improved our players they are going backwards under him.

If we were serious about making the change up until 2 weeks ago you'd think Maric would be the best option but his form is down at the moment . We might have to talk Newy into playing another 2 years.

I'd keep Cotch as Captain and have him play under a new coach that doesn't cup his balls and cherish his cheap 10 m kicks .
To say hardwick hasn't improved our players is a fair stretch I reckon . We had the worst list possibly ever we he came to the club .

Who's fault is that?
To be honest TRT I have concerns about our assistant coaches . If Dimma appointed them the buck stops with him . Since daly left our midfield we have gone south extremely quickly the same thing happened when he was moved from our forward coach .
I am liking our defence setup this year , many players have rotated through there yet still held up .
Lade stoppages and williams non chocco spread are useless and have been so in every role they have held at the club IMO .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back