Universal Love Oh captain, my captain: Cotchin retires. There will never be another.

Remove this Banner Ad

This one hurts... Just like Richo before him... Cotch is the heart and soul of the football club. Thank you, Chimp, for all you have done for the club. I know it hasn't been easy, but your class, commitment, care, sacrifice and principles have changed the club in countless ways and you have certainly left the club in a much better situation than when you walked in all those years ago at the back end of 2007.

As much as Dustin Martin was the face of the 2017/19/20 flags, your influence on them was just as great, if not even more so, given the work you had put in since taking over as captain at the end of 2012.

From the "worst team since Fitzroy" to becoming one of the most successful sides of the modern era, you leave a lasting imprint of honesty, togetherness, acceptance, individuality and celebration that will hold this club in good stead going forward.

The onfield legacy of being the 2nd youngest VFL/AFL player to ever captain a senior side, as well as being Richmond's second youngest, longest serving and ONLY triple premiership captain in a long and proud history means that you have created a legacy that will surely cement you as a legend of the game and an Immortal of the Richmond Football Club.

Thank you for everything you have contributed to the club and thank you for all the good times you have brought to the fan base after many decades of mediocrity and darkness.

Enjoy the Friday Night Fish and Chips, Chimp! You deserve it!

Easily the greatest Tiger Captain of my life time & easily one of the top 10 Captains of my lifetime, period. A fantastic person, player, captain, family man - no one will represent this club better & more upstanding than Trent, ever.

I've been working flat chat all day and haven't seen any of the presser etc. Went onto the AFL page expecting Cotchin retiring to be fairly easily found - it was already heavily buried & not even on the AFL's website "front page" - you needed to scroll down the sub-menu to eventually find the article ...

Tigers' triple-flag skipper to call it quits at season's end​

"calls it quits"..... not retire. I found the wording odd & very disrespectful. I've harboured the belief that the AFL never forgave him for the stuff in the hub regarding his wife & the AFL has quite deliberately thrown shade on him since, & his legacy. I saw a similar lack of sentiment on the AFL website when he played his 300th, but thought i might be being a bit sensitive as i treasure Trent alot.

So, as always, i did my research.

Below is the title the AFL used for each of the below retirements

Issac Smith - Four-time premiership hero to hang up the boots

Shannon Hurn - Eagles great calls time on decorated career

Ben Cunnington - 'I lost my hunger': Inspirational Roo hangs up the boots
Luke Shuey - 'My body won't allow it': Eagles skipper
forced into retirement
Aaron Hall - 'I've had a blast': Rebounding Roo calls it quits after 161 games

Lance Franklin - BYE BYE, BUDDY: Lance Franklin ends his glorious career

I am not a fan of saying a player "quit" when they have chosen to RETIRE after a decade+ of fighting wars. One thing Trent Cotchin never was, is a quitter. I was a big believer that Trent should have retired at the end of last season, but i admired his fight to stay on. For his career to end & the AFL advertise it as him "calling it quits" with no real celebration of his career in the title - dunno why, but the way the AFL have handled Trent since 2020 has been really gross for me. This guy Captained Richmond to its first GF in nearly 40 years. Outside of his wife getting a facial massage, (which was the most over-hyped bullshit in history) he NEVER took a step wrong as a captain, player or person for the AFL. He is the absolute total role model i would chose my own son to look up to. Guy deserves to be celebrated 2nd to none - he appears to be getting about 1/4 of the fanfare from the AFL as Selwood & Franklin.

I hope he plays his final game in Melbourne and bypasses the final game in Port. Him retiring in ******* Adelaide is a bullshit end to his career. Richmond people in Vic -please turn up and celebrate this guy like no other. he deserves every drop of it

Agree with you 100% RJK. Fascinating stuff about how the AFL described other retirements compared to Trent’s. Bloody typical though, they never do Richmond any favours.

I too hope Tiger fans come out in droves for the North match and show their appreciation of Trent and all he has done for the club.

Good decision.

To come back from the abuse and ridicule of his early years as captain to be an amazing captain was a superb turnaround.

My favourite Cotchin moment was his goal against GWS at the end of the 2019 GF.

The jump for joy and fist pump was a final f#*k you to all his and Richmond’s detractors.

This is agreat thread. The man is heart and soul of the club, possibly even more than Dusty.

We now have 2 of the all time great VFL/AFL captains - Cotch and Jack Dyer.

The summary of Cotch's career is amazing. Anyone would take that when starting out. Best pick 2 ever. And possibly the most influential captain in the AFL for decades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back