AFL Canberra Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Last weekend's round robin game between Belco and Gungahlin was a bit of a joke. I believe that the final score was something like 124 to 0 in a short match. I wouldn't put money on Gungahlin first grade to beat Belconnen's reserves side. It looks as though Ainslie are tyring to get out of lending players to Gungahlin too which would be devastating as I believe that is the only thing giving the jets a chance at not being thumped every single round.

Rain probably saved Ainslie from a belting by Belco too. Belconnen ended up posting around a 6 goal win. Rain started in the second period and play got a bit scrappier.

This weekend looks like it may end up with Belco playing Tuggers and Queanbeyan who, in my opinion will probably shape up to be the three contenders for the major cup in Canberra this year. Should be some good footy although the weather is looking ominous.

Cooma only bringing 16 down to Goulburn tomorrow. Looks like some super weather awaiting them too. Early injuries or not enough numbers for you guys?

Last weekend's round robin game between Belco and Gungahlin was a bit of a joke. I believe that the final score was something like 124 to 0 in a short match. I wouldn't put money on Gungahlin first grade to beat Belconnen's reserves side. It looks as though Ainslie are tyring to get out of lending players to Gungahlin too which would be devastating as I believe that is the only thing giving the jets a chance at not being thumped every single round.

Rain probably saved Ainslie from a belting by Belco too. Belconnen ended up posting around a 6 goal win. Rain started in the second period and play got a bit scrappier.

This weekend looks like it may end up with Belco playing Tuggers and Queanbeyan who, in my opinion will probably shape up to be the three contenders for the major cup in Canberra this year. Should be some good footy although the weather is looking ominous.

Sounds like Belconnen should be sending a few players to Gungahlin, perhaps? :p

Ainslie should keep their players, why weaken their own team to strengthen a team in the same comp? Comp is surely better with 4 teams competing, if as you say Belco, Qbn and Tuggies look the most likely.

Ainslie should keep their players, why weaken their own team to strengthen a team in the same comp? Comp is surely better with 4 teams competing, if as you say Belco, Qbn and Tuggies look the most likely.

The problem with Ainslie keeping their players is that other clubs cleared players to go and play for Ainslie to have an opportunity to play NEAFL football on the condition that if they were not selected they would then go back to either their original club or to top up the Jets. Clubs are happy to clear players to allow them the opportunity to play at a higher level but not to help strengthen an already strong team in the same comp.

Belco and I believe the other clubs agreed that if the players they clear to move to the NEAFL clubs aren't selected they can top up the Jets. This then allows the players an opportunity and is doing right by the league by helping the weakest club try to be competitive. From what I have heard recently though it seems now that Ainslie have secured these players they have decided that they don't want them playing for Gungahlin at all. This may be a fair enough thought process but it is not very fair to do it after the deals have been done under the original conditions.

The problem with Ainslie keeping their players is that other clubs cleared players to go and play for Ainslie to have an opportunity to play NEAFL football on the condition that if they were not selected they would then go back to either their original club or to top up the Jets. Clubs are happy to clear players to allow them the opportunity to play at a higher level but not to help strengthen an already strong team in the same comp.

Belco and I believe the other clubs agreed that if the players they clear to move to the NEAFL clubs aren't selected they can top up the Jets. This then allows the players an opportunity and is doing right by the league by helping the weakest club try to be competitive. From what I have heard recently though it seems now that Ainslie have secured these players they have decided that they don't want them playing for Gungahlin at all. This may be a fair enough thought process but it is not very fair to do it after the deals have been done under the original conditions.

That would be fair enough, where Belco/QBN players from last year have to go to the Jets if not selected in NEAFL. I'd even understand this applying to players from Tuggeranong that were signed AFTER tuggies were booted from the NEAFL. But my understanding is that anyone who is not deemed to be an Ainslie junior, no matter how long they have been at the club, needs to be made available to the Jets if they are on the NEAFL list but are not selected. This includes players like Blake Renet who has been at Ainslie since he was 15 or 16 but who apparently is now considered a Tuggies junior, as well as players recruited from interstate, even if they have played for Ainslie for 4,5,6+ years. New signings under the new structure, fair enough, but it's not reasonable to deem that a player who has played at Ainslie for 4 or 5 years should then be forced to play for another club if they play reserves.

We are playing 16 a side, they gave us plenty of notice. Last year when the bay had 19 we said no, that was 20 mins before the game though.

Mixture of both mate. Injuries and numbers :(
see you tomorrow

All games at Kippax on Saturday. Seniors on the main oval and Rising Stars on the adjacent oval. 20 minute halves.

Men’s
Game 1 - 10.00am - Tuggeranong Hawks v Gungahlin Jets
Game 2 - 10.50am - Ainslie FC v Eastlake Demons
Game 3 - 11.40am - Belconnen Magpies v Winner G1
Game 4 - 12.30pm - Queanbeyan Tigers v Winner G2
Game 5 - 1.20pm - Loser G1 v Loser G2
Game 6 - 2.10pm - Loser G3 v Loser G4
Game 7 - 3.00pm - Winner G3 v Winner G4

Rising Stars
Game 1 - 10.00am - Gungahlin Jets v Queanbeyan Tigers
Game 2 - 11.00am - Marist v Belconnen Magpies
Game 3 - 12.00pm - Loser G2 v Loser G1
Game 4 - 1.00pm - Winner G1 v Winner G2

Good chance to see nearly everyone all in one place.

Also another opportunity to support the match day raffle. All proceeds going towards the Tara Costigan Foundation and the Rachael Netting Memoriam (Rare Cancers Foundation).
Thanks for that Michael appreciate it. Shame about the weather as it if it were a better day it would of added to the atmosphere and made the games more free flowing. Kippax oval will get ripped up to if would imagine!!

Well played Fordey and the Ainslie lads. We took on a polished side who ran hard in numbers all day. We weren't up to the challenge. Ainslie have been training hard and have some decent height so will be tough to beat this season

Well played Fordey and the Ainslie lads. We took on a polished side who ran hard in numbers all day. We weren't up to the challenge. Ainslie have been training hard and have some decent height so will be tough to beat this season

Sorry I couldn't stay for a frothy was in the E.R with a popped shoulder unfortunately :( hope you guys had a safe trip home and with any luck I'll be able to head to Clarke Oval later in the year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting. By the looks you won't really know what is what until the last few rounds or even finals. Travelling teams will always be weakened so I think we'll see a few surprising results.
Obviously Cooma were no where near full strength if they only played 16. Coota had a few out that'll help them. Yass and Tuggers looked like a tough battle.

I think Ainslie need to pull their weight and do what is best for the game in the region.

Whole comp, supposedly.

Guess it squares up that comp and gets rid of the bye etc.

But really, it should have been Marist feeding into ANU in 1s and 2s from the start. This whole Gungahlin thing has been poorly thought out and even more poorly executed.
I think there are a few things in the pipeline that you aren't aware of. Best to maybe not discuss things which you know nothing about.

I think there are a few things in the pipeline that you aren't aware of. Best to maybe not discuss things which you know nothing about.

The pipeline hey? Care to shed a bit of light? Not sure why my discussing of the competition as it stands is a problem.

As for Ainslie doing what's best for footy in the region, surely providing a competitive NEAFL team does exactly that?

The pipeline hey? Care to shed a bit of light? Not sure why my discussing of the competition as it stands is a problem.

As for Ainslie doing what's best for footy in the region, surely providing a competitive NEAFL team does exactly that?
Won't be sharing anything, need to know basis, and you don't need to know.
As for sharing players, we don't want a situation where we have powerhouse clubs just dominating. ACTAFL is best served by close, even competitions.

Won't be sharing anything, need to know basis, and you don't need to know.
As for sharing players, we don't want a situation where we have powerhouse clubs just dominating. ACTAFL is best served by close, even competitions.

I know heaps of stuff too, but I can't tell you :rolleyes:

Who is "we", exactly?

I'm a little confused by your even competition comment, surely having 4 competitive teams in the 1st grade is better than having 3? I should clarify that I have no issue with guys who have come to Ainslie this year to play NEAFL going back to play for Gungahlin if they aren't selected.

From all reports the Jets side on the weekend was comprised mainly of blokes from their 3s last year and some young guys. A comfortable loss for them to a struggling Eastlake outfit screams "even competition" to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back