James Aish

Remove this Banner Ad

What actually happens then? If they're suspended surely they still get paid by the club?

When what's his name was suspended from st kilda, they were able to delist him. Not sure if the clubs have to pay the player, but it doesn't come out of the salary cap. Otherwise Essendon would have a full salary cap but need to somehow contract another 30 odd players.

If Ryder and Monfries are suspended for two years surely the power will have to pay them since they are in contract.

If Essendon lose 30 odd blokes for 2 years, they can not field a team if they have to keep the 30 players in the salary cap and find another 30 players for 2 years. So the AFL won't include suspended players in the salary cap.

If Ryder and Monfries are suspended for two years surely the power will have to pay them since they are in contract.

The AFL will find a way around that, rest assured.

I hate Port but I don't see why they should have to pay players suspending for being drug cheats. Surely that's the players breaking the contract.

If Ryder and Monfries get suspended for 2 years they will probably have a spare $1mil+ in their salary cap.
Can't see it getting done until after the draft. Probably in the pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon they would have grounds to say the contract is frustrated.

If the players are suspended, I am not 100% sure but I don't think they are allowed to earn 1 red cent from any form of football for the entirety of the suspension. That's why all the talk is centred around Essendon being open to law suits from players.

last weekend both the crows and Pickering were on the gold coast, mid week last week Rockliff said that he had a chat to aish and he seemed happier and more relaxed than he had all year. Perhaps an agreement was made while the club was in (a nearby) town. Also Douglas said earlier this year that he was booked to start talking about his next contract with the club after week 7. Perhaps he was booked in for after week 7 because the club knew they would be in QLD having conversations in round 6 that affect the 2016 list management.

last weekend both the crows and Pickering were on the gold coast, mid week last week Rockliff said that he had a chat to aish and he seemed happier and more relaxed than he had all year. Perhaps an agreement was made while the club was in (a nearby) town. Also Douglas said earlier this year that he was booked to start talking about his next contract with the club after week 7. Perhaps he was booked in for after week 7 because the club knew they would be in QLD having conversations in round 6 that affect the 2016 list management.
How can they agree when they have to trade for him?

Maybe you shouldn't add 2 and 2 together to get 5

Last edited:
If dominoes start falling I'll happily subscribe to your newsletter

A few minutes ago they said on Talking footy that Brisbane - not the players - have put contract talk on hold until the end of the season for its 3 uncontracted players - Aish, Leuenberger and forgot the 3rd one, as they are aiming to be heavily involved in free agency with players such as Charlie Dixon at year's end. apparently this is a unilateral decision by Brisbabne as Player Manager Liam Pickering didn't see this coing at all.

Looks like they're prepared to trade these 3 to get salary cap space for their targets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back