Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think Worsfold would be good for the Blues. Reckon there'd be no room in your team for pissing around at the contest. It'd be head over the ball, straight in and hard at the contest, or you're straight out of the side.

he coached finals 3 years ago?

You are saying 'just let him coach'. Nobody has stopped him from coaching to date but the results are ordinary.

The fact that we played finals in 2013 is neither here nor there. His supporters say the list was terrible and we were gifted that spot after the Essendon penalties. His detractors point to finals as an example of how far we have fallen.

If the list was terrible in 2012 when Mick took over you have to wonder why Ratten won so many games with it.

A lot of players played far better under Ratten than under Mick and they allegedly weren't happy with Ratts.

No doubt Mick thought we were better than we currently are. This fall was not anticipated. The recruiting was indicative of a higher expectation not a rebuild.

We can suggest that Mick is a good coach to rebuild a side but we still have to acknowledge his lack of judgement to this point, his inability to motivate this team, the disintegration of promising players, and for such a cautious negative game plan ... The stripping away of basic defensive skills.

Wow IUB I've never seen you write a serious post before!

Personally I would be mad if the club didn't follow a thorough procedure because it would be yet another example of the club going the quick fix with a mate.

No more messiahs. That's exactly what it would be if we didn't. Totally agree with you MEB.

he coached finals 3 years ago?

Malcolm Blight coached well before St. Kilda too.

The last time a Malthouse coached team enjoyed success was at Collingwood. Do not count the 2013 season as a Malthouse success story. We were fully expected to make the finals and only did so because of what happened down at Windy Hill. He joined a club believing that it was a premiership hopeful and has taken it in one direction. Hate to be Harry Styles but the Blues are down, down, down.

Mick Malthouse was a phenomenal coach. Those who want to trash him to the point where they're taking away the runs that he has on the board are taking it a few steps too far. He's just not the right coach for Carlton moving forward.

No sorry bud but your opinion is just that, opinion. The only thing that has been proven here is that hiring Mick was one of the worst things this football club has ever done. He is an epic fail. Ratts was by far the best coach this club has seen this century.

Let's wait another 84 years before making any meaningful reference to centuries ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_maxresdefault.jpg

'O Captain, My Captain'

Dear Michael

I think the time has come for our club and you to part ways, but I personally want to thank you for having the courage and selflessness for doing the things that most other coaches wouldn't have done, and start the painful task of clearing out underachieving players and firmly start the rebuild.

Maybe you weren't the coach the players and fans wanted, but one the club firmly needed (for culture change, getting rid of selfish, me-first type players etc)

Your work here has finally given the club and board the wake up call we needed and finally we embrace the R word (the term rebuilding is somewhat taboo at this club)

You have always conducted yourself with a fiery passion and quiet dignity, and i will miss that.

I strongly feel the players and the club let you down, not the other way around.
Hope you and Nanette take a big holiday and take a respite from all the stress and personal toll this coaching caper has given you.

In my opinion, you can still hold your head up high and proudly sir.

#ThanksMick

Serious question Blues fans...apologies if it's a bit of a convoluted one.

The reputation of Carlton has long been 'throw enough money at whoever they want', whether it be player, coach or hovercraft, and it should 'fix' things. There has been a bit of talk surrounding John Worsfold who most regard as a worthy coach.

If Malthouse and the Blues part ways and Carlton throw the $$$ Worsfold's way without any real process of really interviewing anyone else*, but the man they are instilling is credentialed, proven and ready to go, as is the case of Worsfold, will there be backlash from supporters, despite a worthy character taking the reigns?

I regard Worsfold as one of the best currently not coaching and I'm sure a lot of others do too.

*and no, calling up other candidates to come and interview when everybody bar the candidate knows the job's already been filled and they are wasting their time does not count as a process.
Nicely said IUB!

View attachment 136962

'O Captain, My Captain'

Dear Michael

I think the time has come for our club and you to part ways, but I personally want to thank you for having the courage and selflessness for doing the things that most other coaches wouldn't have done, and start the painful task of clearing out underachieving players and firmly start the rebuild.

Maybe you weren't the coach the players and fans wanted, but one the club firmly needed (for culture change, getting rid of selfish, me-first type players etc)

Your work here has finally given the club and board the wake up call we needed and finally we embrace the R word (the term rebuilding is somewhat taboo at this club)

You have always conducted yourself with a fiery passion and quiet dignity, and i will miss that.

I strongly feel the players and the club let you down, not the other way around.
Hope you and Nanette take a big holiday and take a respite from all the stress and personal toll this coaching caper has given you.

In my opinion, you can still hold your head up high and proudly sir.

#ThanksMick
DaVillaBlues, thank you for a fantastic post!

I have been thinking a lot about MM & the current situation & here is what I am thinking.

IMHO Trigg is hoping MM retires, sooner rather than later, Carlton can not afford to payout MM's contract & I think Trigg is smart enough to know that if he goes to one of the Pratt or Matthieson families to payout MM's contract then we are just repeating ghosts of the past.

Some may say that keeping MM will cost us, but long term I believe one of our main goals is to stand alone without having to answer to any of the powerbrokers.

Trigg seems as though he is trying to create a better club but with MM constantly throwing bombs up in the air at media conferences then it really rips at the one tribe philosophy the club is trying to preach.

MM needs to stop worrying about MM & concentrate on the club & doing his job, for how ever long that is.

If anyomr really thinks that changing the coach alone will be a long term fix, they'd be wrong. Our whole club from the board down to the players should be made to reapply for their jobs. Again i say our players fitness is the biggest issue (after foot skills). The game has upped tempo over the last 2 seasons yet our players think it's ok to jog back and chase their opponents down. 35 tackles is no where near good enough at the current AFL level. Basically their are no quick fixes and i see us being down for at 3 seasons.

I have been thinking a lot about MM & the current situation & here is what I am thinking.

IMHO Trigg is hoping MM retires, sooner rather than later, Carlton can not afford to payout MM's contract & I think Trigg is smart enough to know that if he goes to one of the Pratt or Matthieson families to payout MM's contract then we are just repeating ghosts of the past.

Some may say that keeping MM will cost us, but long term I believe one of our main goals is to stand alone without having to answer to any of the powerbrokers.

Trigg seems as though he is trying to create a better club but with MM constantly throwing bombs up in the air at media conferences then it really rips at the one tribe philosophy the club is trying to preach.

MM needs to stop worrying about MM & concentrate on the club & doing his job, for how ever long that is.
There is actually a simple solution.

You publicly come out this week and announce that the board has decided that Mick wont be coaching Carlton next year, but he has your full support as coach for the remainder of the season because we would like to ensure a thorough process is conducted in finding a new coach. With any luck, Malthouse quits, and you have a mutual agreement on a suitable payout. I'd suggest $750k - so we save $250 which would be less than the cost to upgrade a coach to be the stand in.

History gets rewritten a lot. Mick gets credit for moving on troubled players and getting rid of underperformers as though it is revolutionary at our club. Ratten did the same but not as deep some years because he made finals 3 years out of the 5 he was there. People think of Davies and Joseph with their extended contracts and make it representative of Ratten's whole tenure.

Brett Ratten 2007-2011 cuts

Delisted:
McLaren, Teague, Raso, Flint, Young, Shields, Saddington, Ackland, Benjamin, Blackwell, Jackson, Bannister, Hartlett, Edwards, Bentick, Cloke, Hill, Pfeiffer, Stanton, Bentley, Wiggins, Hadley, Fisher, C Johnson, Anderson, Browne, Tiller, Donaldson, Cachia, Dare, Twomey, Austin, O’hAilpin

Traded:
Kennedy, Fevola (culture), Grigg (no choice), Jacobs (no choice),

Retired:
Lappin, Whitnall, Stevens, Houlihan

Mick Malthouse 2012-2014 cuts

Delisted:
Kerr, Heyne, Carter, Bray, Lodge, Bower, Russell, Thornton, Davies, Joseph, Mitchell, McCarthy, Collins, Dale, O’Keeffe, Laidler, Robinson (culture), Bootsma (culture), McInnes, Temay, Cachia, Reynolds, Lucas, McLean

Traded:
Hampson, Garlett (culture)

Retired:
Duigan, Scotland

Free Agency:
Betts
Waite

Next coach should be given minimum 5 years with a no sacking clause, getting rid of 3 coaches from an 8 year time span (2007 - 2015) reflects poorly on our footy club, and yes, we should have kept Ratts.

More funding into the footy dept and better, we credentialed assistant coaches as well, a recently retired player, like Kane Cornes is essential to give a player's perspective to the new coach on the modern pace and intensity of the game.
(didn't mean Kane himself, obviously he is going to train to be a fire fighter, just a player from another club who is retiring at end of the year, possibly Corey Enright or Scott Thompson)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back