Past #39: Eric Wallace - released by the Carolina Panthers

Remove this Banner Ad

So our Sprite is different?
I think ours is what we call lemonade, a fizzy clear "lemon" flavoured drink.

This is from wikipedia

In North America, certain European and African countries, and most Asian countries lemonade is usually made from lemon juice, water, and sugar or honey and is often home-made as well as at juice shops as 'Fresh Lime'.

In the United Kingdom, Australia, Ireland and some other English-speaking countries, lemonade is a commercially-produced, lemon-flavored, carbonated, sweetened soft drink (similar to lemon-lime sodas in North America without the lime).

lemon-lime soda = sprite

Bit like chips. Asked for chips at a Macca's in the States once and they stared blankly at me.

I think ours is what we call lemonade, a fizzy clear "lemon" flavoured drink.

This is from wikipedia

In North America, certain European and African countries, and most Asian countries lemonade is usually made from lemon juice, water, and sugar or honey and is often home-made as well as at juice shops as 'Fresh Lime'.

In the United Kingdom, Australia, Ireland and some other English-speaking countries, lemonade is a commercially-produced, lemon-flavored, carbonated, sweetened soft drink (similar to lemon-lime sodas in North America without the lime).

lemon-lime soda = sprite
Okay, so it's not the lime issue, it's the difference between a soft drink and...

il_570xN.160061484.jpg

Okay, so it's not the lime issue, it's the difference between a soft drink and...

il_570xN.160061484.jpg

Well..yes but further complicated by Sprite being known here as what we call lemonade (lemon v lemon/lime soda in US)

Roos supporters: Thanks so much for reading the story I wrote for sbnation.com. I appreciate the feedback and I thank North for treating me so well when I made my visit to Arden Street during Grand Final Week. You guys had a fantastic season — and you took out my Dockers on our home ground. Because you guys have so many talls waiting in the wings behind Todd Goldstein, like Ben Brown and Majak Daw and just got Jarrad Waite and drafted Sam Durdin, it'll be tough for The Beast to break in. Still, I wouldn't ever count him out. Cheers — and see you guys in Rd 8! :)
That was ur Article! Great Read... Argh i probably own u an apology for making fun of yanks,we have different ways and thers nuthing wrong with that anyway hope the Dockers do well....

Roos supporters: Thanks so much for reading the story I wrote for sbnation.com. I appreciate the feedback and I thank North for treating me so well when I made my visit to Arden Street during Grand Final Week. You guys had a fantastic season — and you took out my Dockers on our home ground. Because you guys have so many talls waiting in the wings behind Todd Goldstein, like Ben Brown and Majak Daw and just got Jarrad Waite and drafted Sam Durdin, it'll be tough for The Beast to break in. Still, I wouldn't ever count him out. Cheers — and see you guys in Rd 8! :)

Was a fantastic read, so well written, congratulations..

How is this guy tracking?

Likely to make it at all?

Wouldn't think so, I can't see us dropping Ben Brown, Goldie and is behind Daw.

Doesn't of course mean we can't appreciate his efforts and admire his courage in trying something so foreign.

To be frank I'm still a bit baffled as to why we decided to try and turn Eric into a ruckman. His strength, jump and athleticism are great and all, but in this day and age he's about 5cm + arm length short of being able to be a first ruck at AFL level. The majority of ruck contests occur around the ground where the ability to get good position and use your height is what counts, as there's no opportunity to jump - his strength helps with position but guys his height ultimately lose out to the guys with the big arse wingspan (who are also bloody strong). At his height, as a minimum he has to be able to play another position and pinch hit in the ruck. TBH I see guys like Preuss - 208cm and reasonablymobile - as being the future of ruckmen, not blokes who are 197cm and genuinely athletic.

I would have liked to see him developed as a full back. He's fast off the mark, as tall as or taller than nearly any other forward and way strong enough to wrestle with the big bastards like Hawkins or Cloke. Plus his basketball background gives him a strong grounding on zoning off and helping out (Goddard and Lewis on 360 the other night were talking about how their basketball background helped in this regard). His biggest issue was always going to be his tank and whether he could keep up, but this is an issue no matter which position he plays in. Insofar as his ball skills are concerned, well he could have been groomed a la Zac Dawson to always give off by hand to a runner and only kick mongrel punts to clear if absolutely necessary until he got his skills under control. Plus we have had an issue with the full back position over the last couple of years, so much so that we recruited in Tippett and also re-trained Tarrant to fill this position. We haven't brought a genuine full back through the ranks since Mick Martyn in the late 80s (and yes, I know he came to the club as a junior champion full forward but we never looked at playing him there IIRC).

Also bear in mind that he was always a project - he costs us nothing and takes up no spot on the list, so there is no downside. Why not groom him for a position we need filled, rather than the position he might be best suited for but ultimately is always going to struggle in at AFL level? If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work, out, we tried, he tried, we shake hands and move on.

Having said all that, I have nothing but complete admiration for Eric, he's given it 110% (that's impossible, by definition the most any person can give is 100%) and left nothing to chance. Massive respect, dude. I just feel that his best chance of pulling on the royal blue and white is at full back, not in the ruck, and playing in the firsts is what it is all about. And I do apologise to him if he happens to read this for the fact this post feels a bit like an obituary, but I do have a bit of a feeling this is his last season at the club :(

Like to give him a game next time we play Whorethorn. Get him to "tag" Luke Hero Hodge.

Nah send him to Lewis.

7 citings agaisnt us.

in the 90's we'd have laid him out.

In the 70's we'd have killed him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have liked to see him developed as a full back. He's fast off the mark, as tall as or taller than nearly any other forward and way strong enough to wrestle with the big bastards like Hawkins or Cloke.

Agree. Not sure if it's in this thread but I said similar when we got him.

His compatriot Jason Holmes at St Kilda is much typical ruck fare - long limbed and 200cm+. I can see him having a shot at making it as an AFL ruckman.

Even if Eric was raised with the game, I'd see it as unlikely he'd have ended up as a ruckman let alone coming across late and from another sport.

Some people dismissed the idea of him as a defender based on disposal but I think there are still AFL defenders with at best passable foot skills (Rance anyone) who get by on their defensive traits. Hell, we just drafted Nielsen who looks to have a scrappier kick to Eric to my eyes and this is a AFL raised kid.

Would still like him to be trialled in other positions such as key defender like you say or an Aaron Hamill style hard hitting forward.

I would have liked to see him developed as a full back. He's fast off the mark, as tall as or taller than nearly any other forward and way strong enough to wrestle with the big bastards like Hawkins or Cloke. Plus his basketball background gives him a strong grounding on zoning off and helping out (Goddard and Lewis on 360 the other night were talking about how their basketball background helped in this regard). His biggest issue was always going to be his tank and whether he could keep up, but this is an issue no matter which position he plays in. Insofar as his ball skills are concerned, well he could have been groomed a la Zac Dawson to always give off by hand to a runner and only kick mongrel punts to clear if absolutely necessary until he got his skills under control.
Having said all that, I have nothing but complete admiration for Eric, he's given it 110% (that's impossible, by definition the most any person can give is 100%) and left nothing to chance. Massive respect, dude. I just feel that his best chance of pulling on the royal blue and white is at full back, not in the ruck, and playing in the firsts is what it is all about. And I do apologise to him if he happens to read this for the fact this post feels a bit like an obituary, but I do have a bit of a feeling this is his last season at the club :(

First, astrovic and all Roos fans, respect to you and tomorrow night may the best club win! Next, having been to Arden St. last year met and written about Eric, astrovic, you're spot on about what Eric's best position in AFL would probably be. Granted, as an American and admitted student of the game after following it for 16 years, you probably know better than I. But with the Roos' existing talls on the list (Goldie, Brownie, Majak) and going even taller this year in the draft and through trades, (Preuss, Waite), Eric has heaps of guys to leapfrog to the point that an AFL recall seems far-fetched, especially after having a knee injury that forced him to start — and stay — in the VFL D-League. Given that all the talls I referenced are forwards or rucks, it would seem logical to try Eric in the backline, especially, as you mentioned, astrovic, Eric's tank is still developing.

I can tell you that as a person, Eric is the real deal. He is incredibly dedicated and his character is impeccable. As thrilled as I'd be for my countryman to get a game and succeed, maybe an opportunity at another position with another club next year might be the best thing for him. Having closely watched Zac Dawson the last three years with my Freo boys, astrovic, your point is well-taken about the chances of Eric's success if he were to be developed in a similar role. If things don't work out at North for Eric, I certainly hope another club would offer him a lifeline.

First, astrovic and all Roos fans, respect to you and tomorrow night may the best club win! Next, having been to Arden St. last year met and written about Eric, astrovic, you're spot on about what Eric's best position in AFL would probably be. Granted, as an American and admitted student of the game after following it for 16 years, you probably know better than I. But with the Roos' existing talls on the list (Goldie, Brownie, Majak) and going even taller this year in the draft and through trades, (Preuss, Waite), Eric has heaps of guys to leapfrog to the point that an AFL recall seems far-fetched, especially after having a knee injury that forced him to start — and stay — in the VFL D-League. Given that all the talls I referenced are forwards or rucks, it would seem logical to try Eric in the backline, especially, as you mentioned, astrovic, Eric's tank is still developing.

I can tell you that as a person, Eric is the real deal. He is incredibly dedicated and his character is impeccable. As thrilled as I'd be for my countryman to get a game and succeed, maybe an opportunity at another position with another club next year might be the best thing for him. Having closely watched Zac Dawson the last three years with my Freo boys, astrovic, your point is well-taken about the chances of Eric's success if he were to be developed in a similar role. If things don't work out at North for Eric, I certainly hope another club would offer him a lifeline.

You gotta remember, this guy is blazing a trail. You might not have the best talent the NCAA can produce here in the states because guys might fear trying it....but guys like Eric will open the eyes of coaches here that might direct guys that are even MORE talented than Eric towards the development track.

Look at what's happened already. Shane McNamara signs with collingwood, plays in their development side and gets a game in the NAB. That leads to Jason Holmes, Patrick Mitchell, Eric Wallace and Mason Cox all being on AFL lists at the moment with St. Kilda, Sydney, North and Collingwood. Who knows when the next batch of American talent above even these guys makes their mark. Hell the Northern Blues are debuting an American who played at USAFL level in New York this weekend in the VFL. Stick with Eric, teach him the game and you might be able to get something out of him.

Having met Eric just the once, I get the same impression you do Gil.

In two years his development has made enormous strides each year. This year we'll see whether his development continues enough to still be worth persisting with or whether he levels off too much. It will be a real challenge to work through injuries and learning a new position. Ruck should be the easiest position to teach enough game sense, since it's mainly getting to the next stoppage and doing the things you need to help win the stoppage. But you're right, with North's list profile he's up against it.

It makes me a bit sad when people are so dismissive of his prospects, though deep down I suspect they're probably right. Whether it's a testament to North's development and his dedication or an indicator of the difference in intensity between training and games (probably a little from column A, a little from column B), skills-wise he absolutely does not look out of place in an AFL training session. Which is pretty good for a bloke who hadn't touched a sherrin 2 and a bit years ago.

Having met Eric just the once, I get the same impression you do Gil.

In two years his development has made enormous strides each year. This year we'll see whether his development continues enough to still be worth persisting with or whether he levels off too much. It will be a real challenge to work through injuries and learning a new position. Ruck should be the easiest position to teach enough game sense, since it's mainly getting to the next stoppage and doing the things you need to help win the stoppage. But you're right, with North's list profile he's up against it.

It makes me a bit sad when people are so dismissive of his prospects, though deep down I suspect they're probably right. Whether it's a testament to North's development and his dedication or an indicator of the difference in intensity between training and games (probably a little from column A, a little from column B), skills-wise he absolutely does not look out of place in an AFL training session. Which is pretty good for a bloke who hadn't touched a sherrin 2 and a bit years ago.
Guess you didn't like the post above in that case.

Didn't make me angry or anything. FTS is a fine poster and people have every right to hold that view. I suspect if more people had met him and seen close up how he goes about it they'd be less dismissive.
Fair enough. Nothing against FTS myself. He's probably right come to think of it. Goldy with his twelve dicks is in his prime.

Agree and I certainly wouldn't want the above to be considered dismissive.

I'm looking at it without the international rookie aspect - if any athletically gifted 23yo 197cm bloke without an AFL background rolled into Arden Street I'd be looking more at key position or 2nd/3rd tall flanker roles than ruck.

Nevertheless Gavin Brown has talked up Eric's ability to contest the ruck and follow up with intensity before. God forbid we have the circumstances that lead to us utilising our 3rd+ ruck options but it'd be a great fairytale if Eric did get the chance to play for North.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back