Past #39: Eric Wallace - released by the Carolina Panthers

Remove this Banner Ad

Closer to a game than Wood and Dumont.

I doubt it but I gather you're just kidding.

Have seen Wallace on a couple of occasions now and he may have well reserved his worst games for my viewing but his awareness is very limited and he can't find his way around the ground just yet.

He has a steep leaning curve ahead of him if he is indeed to get any AFL games at all.
Having said that though, most felt the same about a particular Canadian..............and he now has a Premiership medal.

Tracking pretty nicely, I really hope he can make it. I think it all hinges on how effective how can be as a forward, he seems to have the rucking and follow up part down.

Yes, those two have been brilliant in the VFL all season yet struggle to make the emg list.

Dumont may have a bit of sameness about him in respect to your midfield but I can't think of a reason why Wood hasn't played.......Black maybe?

Wood looks likely to be your Gunston. I like the kid but don't like the fact you've just signed him for another 2 years...............jealous.

He wont make it....another absurd 'experiment' a la Daw which is doomed to fail.

He wont make it....another absurd 'experiment' a la Daw which is doomed to fail.

Humour me.

How can you be so sure of your opinion? especially seeing as the club, who would arguably have a better idea of where he is at, is showing faith in the guy as opposed to moving him on.

Don't get me wrong, you (and everyone else) are entitled to your opinion, but I simply don't understand how some people can have such strength of conviction, when they clearly aren't in the best position to be making such judgments

Humour me.

How can you be so sure of your opinion? especially seeing as the club, who would arguably have a better idea of where he is at, is showing faith in the guy as opposed to moving him on.

Don't get me wrong, you (and everyone else) are entitled to your opinion, but I simply don't understand how some people can have such strength of conviction, when they clearly aren't in the best position to be making such judgments

It is extremely rare that someone who has not been raised playing Aussie rules from a relatively young age to make it, in fact I cannot recall anyone, the only exceptions being ex Gaelic Footballers because of the similarity of our codes. Jim Stynes was a freak. Daw has done extremely well to even play a senior game but these Americans who think they can just come in master the game in a few years are just kidding themselves, I am not disputing their athletic abilities or otherwise. Aussie rules is a unique game & to understand the flow of the game, bounce of the ball, trajectories of kicking, where to position oneself etc takes years & years of practice/observation.

Hes always going to win the hit outs. just his developing of an understanding of where the midfielders run needs to work, as well as providing a strong contest. anyone who is able to do that in the ruck will be manful in their efforts, he's got a long way to go but if other more talented players instilled the beasts attitude we wouldnt be sitting where we are.

It is extremely rare that someone who has not been raised playing Aussie rules from a relatively young age to make it, in fact I cannot recall anyone, the only exceptions being ex Gaelic Footballers because of the similarity of our codes. Jim Stynes was a freak. Daw has done extremely well to even play a senior game but these Americans who think they can just come in master the game in a few years are just kidding themselves, I am not disputing their athletic abilities or otherwise. Aussie rules is a unique game & to understand the flow of the game, bounce of the ball, trajectories of kicking, where to position oneself etc takes years & years of practice/observation.

upload_2014-8-13_23-44-18.jpeg :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#39 Eric Wallace

WALLACE%20Eric.png

Games: 0
Goals: 0

Summary:
In his second season on the North Melbourne list as an international rookie, Eric Wallace made great strides towards achieving his dream of playing an AFL game. After a year of playing for North Ballarat's reserves side, Wallace earned a promotion to the senior team, playing the year as the Roosters' number one ruckman. At times, Wallace won over 40 hitouts in one game, showing his improvement. He still has a lot to learn regarding body work at ruck contests, but his ability to move around the ground for a man his size is seriously impressive. With a new one year deal, Wallace knows he has few chances left to impress Brad Scott and work his way onto the senior list.

Eric Wallace says he’s eager to repay the faith of his coaches and team-mates after putting pen to paper on a new one-year deal.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-07-28/a-hungry-beast

Eric+Wallace+North+Melbourne+Kangaroos+Training+Xk9IigVeqGal.jpg

629890-d2dd2f44-cdce-11e3-958b-e8eeb38ffc56.jpg

350370-58d611f6-d5bd-11e3-b5be-ec06717bccf7.jpg

631498-9c7a9fa4-cdce-11e3-958b-e8eeb38ffc56.jpg

For once, I actually agree with you. :p

In saying that, I hope that I am proven wrong and will happily eat my words.

Hes always going to win the hit outs. just his developing of an understanding of where the midfielders run needs to work, as well as providing a strong contest. anyone who is able to do that in the ruck will be manful in their efforts, he's got a long way to go but if other more talented players instilled the beasts attitude we wouldnt be sitting where we are.
For a bloke who'd never even heard of the game three years ago, let alone played it, he's done extremely well.

I'll admit I haven't seen a whole lot of him, but I've been impressed with what I have caught.

I reckon his reading of the play is pretty good for such limited experience and along with his skills, there's been visible improvement in the couple of seasons he's had.

One thing he's got in his favour is that even at this stage, the bloke takes a strong mark. That's an extremely valuable asset, and one that makes him worth persisting with as long as he shows improvement again this year.

I don't think it's fair to give a bloke who has no background in the game 3 years to get to AFL standard. Myke Pyke has done well, but at least he comes from a game with some similarities.

To make these sorts of endevours worthwhile for all involved, there has to be a way to ensure these fellows have a chance to get a 4-5 year grounding in the game. Especially in the case of a big fella like The Beast, because we all know big blokes take a good 5 to 6 years in the system to start hitting their straps even with an Aussie Rules upbringing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back