Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the feeling if you did watch it, it would be for the first time.

Only on BF could a convo go ...

What an evil speech!!!

What this one about community, being proud and working together?

I refuse to watch it or comment.

Mythbusted!
Oh but I did watch it, albeit over a year ago.

and I stand by the notion he said something like "we were here first", which is a divisive statement.

why don't people boo Bachar Houli if its racism based. Muslims have a much more negative connotations then aboriginals, and he is just as outspoken in the community. Do you know why? Because it's no about him, it's about unity, and knowledge. Not being victimised.

I would advocate anyone playing the victim card to change their mindset. It's just not helpful.
There's a difference between calling out racism and playing the poor me poor me card. You know that right? What he's done for indigenous communities has helped. Like to see how you've helped your community.

But a victim of whom?

Are white people responsible for Aboriginal school attendance rates and diets?

If Goodes devoted more public attention to his work in Aboriginal communities he would have more respect from me.

Check out the work being done by Andrew McLeod. He is a true agent of change for young Aboriginal kids. Not just another angry man howling at the wind.

Yes cause we invaded them, made them believe in jesus and attend a concept called school

Why not? Sports is merely a vessel for change. It's happening in Europe with Soccers' Kick Racism Out campaign that's been going for years and it's had a lot of success. AFL has tried to curb family violence, drug use, crime, alcoholism with mixed results.

Don't forget their efforts to curb gambli.......sorry go on.

How do you know how much time he devotes to his work in indigenous communities?

I have no idea, but if you read my post you would see that I was suggesting he devote more public attention to these works of his, not devote more time.

Oh but I did watch it, albeit over a year ago.

and I stand by the notion he said something like "we were here first", which is a divisive statement.

Ummmm the Welcome to Country ....mate you gotta get out more often.

You do realize it's possible to be a flog and good at what you do? Plenty of American athletes prove this, most of them with harder upbringings. Anyone who doubts Goodes as a player deserves to be called a flog, you can be a good player and still be disliked. Selwood, Carey and Akermanis were/are players I didn't care for because of the way they acted, would loved to have had them in my team though. Not everyone will like everyone, we have different tastes in music, in food and in people.
All good points but "flog" in the context of this topic is never defined and is little more than dog whistle abuse in a convenient ready-to-use package.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So that's what you "imagine" and it means he did something that actually had nothing to do with being a spokesman for IA issues in IA round? Ps the "brawl" was apparently one dude who drank too much and was giving it to Swans supporters.

Apparently? So that's what you "imagine" about a Carlton supporter being intoxicated and provoking trouble? As opposed to clear evidence of a player running 50 metres towards opposition fans in a war dance and pretending to throw spears at them?

You still didn't answer the question. Do you think a player pretending to wave a spear at opposition spectators is ok?

ever heard of the expression "get over it".

Why should past injustices be constantly raised. I have German and Japanese friends at work and I dont feel the need to constantly remind them of World War 2 and what a couple of dickheads from their homeland instigated. I dont even feel the need to raise it once per year - why would I? And of course I dont want to be feel made responsible for the stolen generation and other racist acts of the 20th century, because shock horror - I DIDNT DO THOSE ACTS!!

Acknowledge it happened? Yeah, ok, every time me and my friends are discussing the s**t things in human history ill be the first to raise the stolen generation, right after the genocide of WW2, and slavery in the US. Ill booo the s**t out of Adam Goodes because he is a massive sanctimonious tosser who is dirty on the field and is a protected species of the AFL at the tribunal.

Nice post on your alias account too btw.
Why don't you get over it and stop feeling as though you are responsible whenever the issue is raised.
It is possible to acknowledge it without getting all up in arms and feeling someone is pointing the finger at you.
Grow up.

just theatre. he does't really want to spear the crowd, obviously? the opposition supporters were placeholders for an adversary - where else can he direct a war cry to if he doesn't have an enemy?

still a diver who plays for frees though ;)

why don't people boo Bachar Houli if its racism based. Muslims have a much more negative connotations then aboriginals, and he is just as outspoken in the community. Do you know why? Because it's no about him, it's about unity, and knowledge. Not being victimised.
Pretty sure Muslims are not a race.

We will have to agree to disagree on that then.

It's Bigfooty ....you fight, name call and mock until one gives up ...that's the way it was and that's the way it will always be.

It wasn't so much his AotY speech that angered people, but a column he wrote for Fairfax, complaining that not enough people had seen or reviewed the film Utopia by left-wing propagandist John Pilger.
Goodes wrote: "It also takes courage to face up to our past. That process starts with understanding our very dark past, a brutal history of dispossession, theft and slaughter. Imagine watching a film that tells the truth about the terrible injustices committed over 225 years against your people, a film that reveals how Europeans, and the governments that have run our country, have raped, killed and stolen from your people for their own benefit. Now imagine how it feels when the people who benefited most from those rapes, those killings and that theft — the people in whose name the oppression was done — turn away in disgust when someone seeks to expose it.”
Most people don't take well to being hectored - accused of benefiting from rapes, killings and theft - by a millionaire sportsman.

1. Tonight's act was a cultural celebration of a proud Indigenous man on the Friday night of Indigenous Round. It's sad that, because of who it is, people have to read more into it than that. (You don't see NZ doing the haka towards their own fans too often.)

2. It's a shame that so many people won't try and walk in another mans shoes. Goodes represents a massively disadvantaged people. He has the profile to speak about those issues - tonight, he used that profile to promote pride in his culture. The suggestion that this is racist is beyond ridiculous - how did people begin to equate pride in his own people with a hatred of white people? It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

3. Perhaps the second stupidest thing I've ever heard was all over social media, and I'm sure it's in this thread - "see! By doing an Indigenous Cultural dance, I can call him a flog and it's not racist!" Erm... How do these people not see the idiocy of that statement?

4. I've also seen suggestions of a white person round. How ridiculous. When white people suffer the level of disadvantage and the historical lack of recognition for their contribution (which is what Indigenous round is really about) maybe there will be a justification. But if you are a white man supporting an white person round (just as if you are a white man who advocates for "mens rights") - I'm sorry, but you're a heckin idiot. You've hit the jackpot in life as a white man, and barring instances of bullying or religious persecution, you can't even begin to understand ingrained societal disadvantage. And this relates to the second point as well - because you can't understand disadvantage and you've never had to fight disadvantage, this is how you become confused and think that pride in one's self = hatred of another. (I'll use the feminism example again - "men's rights" is stupid because we already have ALL the rights. And feminism isn't about "lowering" men to reduce inequality, it's about "boosting" women. Similarly, Goodes doesn't advocate the removal of any rights at all - he promotes boosting Indigenous opportunity)

5. If you thought it was confronting, maybe that's a good thing. It seems that white Australia is perfectly happy to try and close the gap - as long as it happens in the background and it doesn't confront them. We're quite happy to take advantage of the skills of Indigenous players - as long as they don't use their voice. That's bullshit. Maybe Goodes should be confronting to show that a) he does have a voice and b) people should be thinking more about the Indigenous disadvantage that he advocates to rectify. After all, we're all talking and thinking about it.

6. At the end of the day, Adam Goodes is one of the best players of this generation. As a former Australian of the year for his work on Indigenous issues, and as a proud Indigenous man, he deserves to do whatever he wants to celebrate a goal during Indigenous round, and he deserves a lot more than small minded pinheads on the internet questioning his motive.

This was not a selfish act. In using his profile to try and make Indigenous children proud of their culture and their heritage, he's been about as selfless as a man can be.

This whole "debate" tonight proves a ******* cesspool society has become given Australia's racist underbelly and the advent of social media that makes everyone think their voice is worth being heard.

Yes cause we invaded them, made them believe in jesus and attend a concept called school

In what alternate universe was Australia going to sit un-settled by Western or Asian nations?

And which nation would have done a more "sensitive" job of colonising a nation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back