Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So finally. We've teased out your beliefs. It's ok for a indigenous player to pretend to wave a spear at opposition spectators but just in indigenous round on his traditional land. Why is it ok for a player to do that in these circumstances?

How about other players in different circumstances such as pretending to machine gun the crowd, throw hand grenades or behead people?

Is the SCG part of Adam Goodes' traditional land?
Didn't know I had beliefs let alone them being prone to be teased out. I feel so vulnerable!

Ok fella. Back up a second. Let's look at what Goodes did. It was a traditional dance. How many traditional head severing, bomb throwing dances do you know?

Secondly, yes. The SCG is on Eora country.

"Racism has a face. It's a 13-year-old girl."

Goodes is not a naive man. He plays the public for fools, but not as expertly as he thinks.

I'm curious about this - do people like you deliberately misconstrue what Goodes was saying? Or are you genuinely too stupid to have understood it?

Explain to me how its divisive? In what way does doing something to represent his culture in any way affect your own societal or cultural standing? In what way is expressing pride in his culture at all a statement on any other culture?
Do you think Goodes would have done that celebration if he wasn't in the news all week for getting booed?

He made a bee line straight for the Carlton section of the crowd, did an imposing and provocative celebration including a mock spear throw towards them, and did it with such intensity. I said before, I would have no problem with him or any other player doing a celebration after a goal that was representative of their culture... but why would he purposefully direct it at the group of opposition supporters in the crowd?

He did it as an FU to those racist (at least in his and other ignorant people's minds anyway) booers from last week, plain and simple... pity the Carlton supporters did nothing to warrant such a passionate outburst to be directed at them.

1. Tonight's act was a cultural celebration of a proud Indigenous man on the Friday night of Indigenous Round. It's sad that, because of who it is, people have to read more into it than that. (You don't see NZ doing the haka towards their own fans too often.)

2. It's a shame that so many people won't try and walk in another mans shoes. Goodes represents a massively disadvantaged people. He has the profile to speak about those issues - tonight, he used that profile to promote pride in his culture. The suggestion that this is racist is beyond ridiculous - how did people begin to equate pride in his own people with a hatred of white people? It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

3. Perhaps the second stupidest thing I've ever heard was all over social media, and I'm sure it's in this thread - "see! By doing an Indigenous Cultural dance, I can call him a flog and it's not racist!" Erm... How do these people not see the idiocy of that statement?

4. I've also seen suggestions of a white person round. How ridiculous. When white people suffer the level of disadvantage and the historical lack of recognition for their contribution (which is what Indigenous round is really about) maybe there will be a justification. But if you are a white man supporting an white person round (just as if you are a white man who advocates for "mens rights") - I'm sorry, but you're a ****in idiot. You've hit the jackpot in life as a white man, and barring instances of bullying or religious persecution, you can't even begin to understand ingrained societal disadvantage. And this relates to the second point as well - because you can't understand disadvantage and you've never had to fight disadvantage, this is how you become confused and think that pride in one's self = hatred of another. (I'll use the feminism example again - "men's rights" is stupid because we already have ALL the rights. And feminism isn't about "lowering" men to reduce inequality, it's about "boosting" women. Similarly, Goodes doesn't advocate the removal of any rights at all - he promotes boosting Indigenous opportunity)

5. If you thought it was confronting, maybe that's a good thing. It seems that white Australia is perfectly happy to try and close the gap - as long as it happens in the background and it doesn't confront them. We're quite happy to take advantage of the skills of Indigenous players - as long as they don't use their voice. That's bullshit. Maybe Goodes should be confronting to show that a) he does have a voice and b) people should be thinking more about the Indigenous disadvantage that he advocates to rectify. After all, we're all talking and thinking about it.

6. At the end of the day, Adam Goodes is one of the best players of this generation. As a former Australian of the year for his work on Indigenous issues, and as a proud Indigenous man, he deserves to do whatever he wants to celebrate a goal during Indigenous round, and he deserves a lot more than small minded pinheads on the internet questioning his motive.

This was not a selfish act. In using his profile to try and make Indigenous children proud of their culture and their heritage, he's been about as selfless as a man can be.

This whole "debate" tonight proves a ******* cesspool society has become given Australia's racist underbelly and the advent of social media that makes everyone think their voice is worth being heard.

Cool story, bro

To me, it looked more like Goodes was giving it to the Carlton hecklers and "throwing his spear" at them in a show of defiance.
Not really a "cultural celebration" of indigenous culture, but a proud man reacting to being booed.

I thought it was great, by the way. But there is no need for people to spin this as something it wasn't.

1432901618335.jpg

I'm not going to lie. I am really sick of Indigenous Round and want it scraped from the fixture.

It used to be a fun round that was celebrated with Indigenous entertainment before the big Richmond vs Essendon game from 2006-2011.

Now it seems to have become a giant PC round where every team has to wear a jumper and honour Aboriginal contributions to the game.

I know I'm going to get hate for saying this, but the fact that a footballer is Aboriginal shouldn't even be acknowledged. They're people just like anyone else. They should be acknowledged for being great footballers not for having a different skin colour.

I agree. Indigenous round should be scrapped. When campaigners like Goodes are using it for their own self interest it is counterproductive to any intended benefit.

I agree. Indigenous round should be scrapped. When campaigners like Goodes are using it for their own self interest it is counterproductive to any intended benefit.

I like it....it stays.

Do you think Goodes would have done that celebration if he wasn't in the news all week for getting booed?

He made a bee line straight for the Carlton section of the crowd, did an imposing and provocative celebration including a mock spear throw towards them, and did it with such intensity that it went way beyond being a passionate tribute to his heritage. I said before, I would have no problem with him or any other player doing a celebration after a goal that was representative of their culture... but why would he purposefully direct it at the hroup of opposition supporters in the crowd?

He did it as an FU to those racist (at least in his and other ignorant people's minds) booers from last week, plain and simple... pity the Carlton supporters did nothing to warrant such a passionate outburst to be directed at them

What a gross assumption to make. You have no idea why he did it, outside of what he's said in the media.

And why wouldn't he purposefully direct it at the opposition supporters? What a strange question.

Let me ask you - why the friggen hell would he do it to his own supporters?

As I said in an earlier post, I've never seen a Haka done at a teams own supporters.

I would say that the suggestion he do a war dance at his own fans is really stupid - but maybe it's just symptomatic of people's refusal to try and understand Australia's Indigenous culture.

incorrect. They should be acknowledged how they want to be acknowledged just as you are allowed.
I don't agree. Acknowledgment is earned (or at least it is in my opinion).

You can't earn being Indigenous. You're either born with it or your not.

You can earn the reputation of being a great footballer by working hard and achieving results on the field.

"Earnings" rather than "beings" is what I think should be acknowledged in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely fantastic show of his heritage by Goodes. Are AFL followers that sheltered nowadays that can't cope with a player showing his feelings and is the media that bereft of real stories?

It's happened. harden up and move on.
Yeah it was a s**t night. People are sick of watching a pathetic team on every Friday night, lose in a pathetic manner. Not much else to talk about really :(

If Goodes had done the dance not in Carlton supporters faces, it could have been a really good moment.
But that's the whole point of the dance!!
Aboriginal people traditionally shake their spears at each other when they have a beef.
Goodes did it right at the Carlton fans who had been booing him during the game
This wasn't some traditional jig which is performed around the campfire after eating some tucker

Don't pay any attention to the bullshit the AFL and their puppet media are trying to sell to you.

They are liars.

Just a thought but maybe he could've arranged to do this prematch with his Indigenous teammates, so viewers had a bit more context? A bit like the Haka in NZ? That could've been immensely celebrated and informative, with more cultural context about what we're seeing.

Better than seeing a very polarising sportsman imitating the act of throwing a spear at the opposition cheer squad. Especially when you're up by 50 odd points. Fairly poor sportsmanship IMHO.

Made worse by the fact I've no doubt he did this on purpose knowing it would stir up trouble and he could again pull the racism card. I'm certainly tired of being labelled a racist because I dislike a person. I assure everyone there's a lot of white folks in the world I dislike far more.

Cool story, bro

To me, it looked more like Goodes was giving it to the Carlton hecklers and "throwing his spear" at them in a show of defiance.
Not really a "cultural celebration" of indigenous culture, but a proud man reacting to being booed.

I thought it was great, by the way. But there is no need for people to spin this as something it wasn't.

1432901618335.jpg

Why is it so hard to understand that, for 8 seconds, his focus might not have been on what white people think of him, but rather on what Indigenous people think of him - and more importantly, what Indigenous people think of themselves?

As he said after the game, he didn't invent the dance (so presumably, didn't invent the spear throw). It was a tribute to a group of Under 16s kids who did.

Wow just imagine the up roar if we had a Caucasian round and someone like Stevie J did a white man war dance.

Of course, we need a caucasian round to address and acknowledge the historical and ingrained caucasian disadvantage.

*in stupid comment.

I'm curious about this - do people like you deliberately misconstrue what Goodes was saying? Or are you genuinely too stupid to have understood it?

It's mock affrontery, much like "Morning Australia this is what I have woken up to".

Pantomime. It's almost clever.

But that's the whole point of the dance

Aboriginal people traditionally shake their spears at each other when they have a beef.

He did it right at the Carlton fans who had been booing him during the game

Don't pay any attention to this bullshit that the AFL and their puppet media are trying to sell to you.

Goodes said they weren't booing him.

He should of just found a worthy Carlton opponent and....actually now it is starting to make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back