The West Coast Defensive Web!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just hope it holds up against strong sides, and isn't just effective against weak undisciplined sides (like the press was in 2011/2012).

"It only takes one person out of position for the structure to fall apart." I don't like the sound of that - it seems like a tactic that can be easily dismantled in high pressure games.

But it's working at the moment, so well done to the coaches.

Yes the Weagles Web.
I do like the way it hunts around the opposition then closes on the ball.

In saying that i think if you had the time and expertise at your disposal like Gerard and the boys you could come up with good looking graphics on most teams.

I still liked it though, we don't get much of a mention in the media but because Gerard has a bit of a hard on for us we are getting a few plugs on the couch.

Yes the Weagles Web.
I do like the way it hunts around the opposition then closes on the ball.

In saying that i think if you had the time and expertise at your disposal like Gerard and the boys you could come up with good looking graphics on most teams.

I still liked it though, we don't get much of a mention in the media but because Gerard has a bit of a hard on for us we are getting a few plugs on the couch.

I've always seen it as because he's on one of the 'dunce' commentary teams which they assign to what Fox/CH7 judge as the lesser games. The other one is Tony Shaw/Allistair Lynch etc. as the Eastern States mostly don't want to watch us.
I don't mean to put a slight on Gerard etc. as he's infinitely better to listen to than Luke Darcy, BT, Eddie Maguire etc. So we shouldn't complain.

Last edited:
Ignore the fact this is about the eagles - how about the fact that a footy show has actually undertaken in depth analysis of a game of footy

Footy media has become too much about theatre and personalities and less about actual football and strategy

Ignore the fact this is about the eagles - how about the fact that a footy show has actually undertaken in depth analysis of a game of footy

Footy media has become too much about theatre and personalities and less about actual football and strategy
On the Couch has actually delivered a fair bit of good content this year, interviews are usually good (they've got Simmo on next week for those playing at home), but they actually do go in depth quite a lot. Much much much better than most of the other ones.

Surprising is that AFL Teams, despite being 4 dickheads just reading the teamsheet, has a lot of footage like that Couch footage where they break down certain aspects. In small doses it's actually quite informative. Think it stems from Dermie being clearly very footy smart, but just not being good enough to convey his point. He annoys me as a commentator because he can't call the game at all well, but the points he tries to make are actually usually pretty good.

On the Couch has actually delivered a fair bit of good content this year, interviews are usually good (they've got Simmo on next week for those playing at home), but they actually do go in depth quite a lot. Much much much better than most of the other ones.

Surprising is that AFL Teams, despite being 4 dickheads just reading the teamsheet, has a lot of footage like that Couch footage where they break down certain aspects. In small doses it's actually quite informative. Think it stems from Dermie being clearly very footy smart, but just not being good enough to convey his point. He annoys me as a commentator because he can't call the game at all well, but the points he tries to make are actually usually pretty good.
I actually don't mind Dermott too much. Sure, he's a bit up himself but he seems to at least try to call it from the mindset of what the players might be thinking rather than just blanket judging them on the mistakes they might make.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the spirit of Pagan's Paddock and Clarko's Cluster I'm going with Simmo's Swarm(tm)

Certainly a lot more palatable than anything that references "Weagles". Gerard nearly lost me with that one.

The thing that annoys me about Brereton is he draws a conclusion and then searches for supporting evidence. He's also good at finding a cloud to go with any silver lining anyone may put forward about the Eagles.

Yeah, just a zone, though its impressive it does hold its integrity even after the balls travelled 50 odd metres.

In the spirit of Pagan's Paddock and Clarko's Cluster I'm going with Simmo's Swarm(tm)

Simmo's snare!!

Personally I don't find Weagles offensive. I get more upset with Gerard when he calls us "the West Coast"

Last edited:
Simmo's snare!!

Personally I don't find Weagles offensive. I get more upset with Gerard calls us "the West Coast"

I couldnt agree more. Weagles I've never had any issue with, there's nothing really insulting about it so I just embrace it. "The West Coast" shits me because it just makes people sound illiterate. It would be like saying "The Richmond."

I actually don't mind Dermott too much. Sure, he's a bit up himself but he seems to at least try to call it from the mindset of what the players might be thinking rather than just blanket judging them on the mistakes they might make.
He just talks way too much when he's only meant to give occassional comments. Ends up going on tangents midway through the play when you really should be listening to the actual commentary.

If he had a mute switch he'd be perfectly fine.

I couldnt agree more. Weagles I've never had any issue with, there's nothing really insulting about it so I just embrace it. "The West Coast" shits me because it just makes people sound illiterate. It would be like saying "The Richmond."
Kinda. While we are called West Coast and should be referred to as such, the confusion comes because West Coast is not a place. If you were to say it in any other context you would add 'the' to the beginning.

For example "I'm travelling to the west coast today". Even when I say Gold Coast (the city) in general conversation, I say 'the gold coast'...as in 'how much are flights to the gold coast'?

I obviously don't say it when talking about the footy teams, and neither should the commentators, but it's not quite the same as saying 'the richmond'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back