Unofficial Preview Early Thoughts - Round 14 vs Port Adelaide - SCG Thurday Night Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I backed Goodes when a lot were calling for his retirement or that he was cooked. Some players have quiet periods or starts and deserve a decent chance. Shaw the same I backed him as well and he played some ok games. However, I've finally conceded on him and don't believe he can turn it around or that is leadership is enough to be secured of selection. I think it may be time when we have a full list to choose from to give him a stint in the reserves if he continues with this form. May be the catalyst to him working exceptionally hard to be reselected. My main gripe is the free kicks he gives away that just seem unnecessary the high tackles, the undersized spoils that end up in a collapsed heap the frees when the opponent was just never going to mark it anyway. There are others who make errors also but Shaw is an experienced leader and therefore by this time should know better or be able to bring the discipline required for games with trigger happy umpiring. He has another opportunity against Port to turn it around but for me I'm unfortunately at the last chance opinion now for one of our players and I hate being like that to a Swan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pykie is available and should be fit. Someone on another forum said no way Pykie and Derrickx. Last year they had a couple of games together and were pretty good. benny looks ot be ok too. so that will make selection a bit of a headache because we need a forward target who can take the overhead mark on the lead. That brings Towers into the equation. jones to be retained.

In; Pykie (if he passes fitness test), Towers & Benny

Out; Buddy, Tip & Shaw (too much downside last week, fell apart under pressure & gave up too much ball. His opponents kick too many scores)

We simply can't have players giving up so much of the ball this week. Teddy needs to get out of his form slump out I will start doubting his longevity. He has been pretty ordinary in most games this year. Our mids and forwards need to chase their man and man up. They didn't in the last half last week. There was at least 10 metres given to Richmond opponents last week as they cleared the ball from defence. That is truly slack.

We need to be right on our game and the coaches need to be able to change the game up when they do. We need to be able to answer opposition strategies with ones of our own that counter and counter punch theirs. We didn't last week. In fact the only changes were positional and really bad. Rampe to Jack. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that is a match made in hell. I hope if Teddy is s**t this week he puts Laids on Schultz not Rampe.

Not confident, I don't care how badly they are going. We have a few problems of our own developing at the moment. I think the worst and most worrying feature is Teddy's form.another game like last week and you'd have to get really nervous as to who are going be our key backs by the end of the year. Even if he comes good, can he get his great form back by years end? Because without an in form Teddy Richards we could be in trouble.

Grundy, Richards, Laidler. Shaw, Smith and Rampe are all basically full time defenders with limited scope in other roles.

Given that Laidler has been b22 all year I would have given Rampe more time in the mids or even forward.

I think this skews the team.

The changes will be very interesting. Probably as conservative as possible as always, and there have been good match committee selections this year but there are some serious concerns, imo, and while Longmire will back his tried and true I will be disappointed if they put in the same 'effort' as last week, we hear more 'unbloods like' and nothing changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back