Strategy Blair Hartley Project 2015 II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could play Hunts role or maybe Vlas will improve his tank after another season enough to go into the middle. We are on record saying we will be targeting a running half back.
what would we do with hunt would he become depth or just move him tot he wing? full time tagger? heres hoping vlastuin can get in the guts, would be a dream come true to see him dishing the ball out. his defensive efforts in the back half are outstanding and would be so hard to replace, that's my biggest fear. im not sure atley is good enough defensively.

Nope. Griffiths has played 46 games, far from his best footy. Tyrone over 100 now and still has the same bad habits ingrained in his game and we're still arguing if he will be consistent. Their output is relatively similar statistically and for mine Griffiths has better attributes to develop.
agrreed far from his best footy but here's the thing, we are talking about this season not the future or the past. THIS season, ty is playing much better than griff. he was excellent vs sydney, and if he kicked straighter (missed a set shot you'd usually back him to kick) vs gws would have had another solid game. the block of games freo-gws has been very good. and his game vs collingwood was excellent. he injured his knee vs port and then missed the game vs the dons. had he not missed or been injured I'd say he would have had a very very good two months of footy.

agrreed far from his best footy but here's the thing, we are talking about this season not the future or the past. THIS season, ty is playing much better than griff.

See this is where I disagree. There is a minimal difference between their outputs, especially considering they play different roles. Vickery closer to goal, Griffiths further up the field. "Much better" is pure hyperbole.
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3114&tid2=15&pid2=3332&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

IMO we would be stupid to let Vickery or Griffiths go.
They offer different things.
Vickery is better close to goal and pinch hitting in the ruck. His moves in traffic are amazing for a big man.
Griffiths isnt the player to kick 4-5 a game. He is better at CHF bombing it in from 70-80 out to beat the flood.

How can you possibly have such a strong opinion when by your own admission you havent watched him?

I rarely watch any player exclusively.

I watch North every week like all the other teams except on rare occasions so I have seen him.

I hear the ex-footy player commentary talk about him when commenting about the game etc..

So I have an opinion, but I acknowledge I am not an expert on him.

Frankly he is too far off my radar to be worth studying.

I put him in the value average category that clubs like RFC rarely venture and look to the draft and rookie picks to source such value until recently with compromised drafts.

I will admit I did not know much about Schofield of West Coast either as he rarely played that much, nor Spangher at WA now Hawks. But I see Schofield more rounded and suited to us than the likes of an Atley.

Frankly I come from the school defenders defend first and attack second. I am not convinced on the defense side because normally I am looking for guys half full. So I look for goes showing talent and IMO on the rise.
So for example I like the GWS guy like Haynes who was absent but really showing something for me now.

In fact IMO, its a detriment I do not know a lot about Atley because what I am really saying is he has not passed my filters to even be considered worth reviewing.

Honestly I had the line through Ziebell who I had felt was massively overrated. Only this year is Ziebel doing things that suggest to me he would not be a bad pick up

Last edited:
See this is where I disagree. There is a minimal difference between their outputs, especially considering they play different roles. Vickery closer to goal, Griffiths further up the field. "Much better" is pure hyperbole.
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3114&tid2=15&pid2=3332&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S
its not just about stats though, its how each of them affects the game. atm vickery is doing that much more than griff he stepped up massively vs the pies, again vs sydney too. at the end of the day they're forwards they need to kick goals. vickery does that more too. just have to disagree i suppose.

Just on this, he never requested a trade last year, we nearly did trade him but it fell through. I forgot which club it was to but it was at the death of the trade period and we ran out of time, its like Conca, who we nearly traded but again ran out of time as the club he was going to came late.

Spot on for this year though. He has told the club, if he does not play enough games he would like to be traded. IMO that was early in the year, from all reports now, he is loving footy again.
Always seemed like a sook to me. Even in the videos Newy does he's always sooking about something.

what would we do with hunt would he become depth or just move him tot he wing? full time tagger? heres hoping vlastuin can get in the guts, would be a dream come true to see him dishing the ball out. his defensive efforts in the back half are outstanding and would be so hard to replace, that's my biggest fear. im not sure atley is good enough defensively.
Reality is Atley is a Hunt upgrade so maybe Hunt becomes depth, maybe he moves to a wing, good problem to have.

IMO we would be stupid to let Vickery or Griffiths go.
They offer different things.
Vickery is better close to goal and pinch hitting in the ruck. His moves in traffic are amazing for a big man.
Griffiths isnt the player to kick 4-5 a game. He is better at CHF bombing it in from 70-80 out to beat the flood.

Of the two I would say McBean plays more like Vickery. In order to get something good in we have to let something go. If we got an early second round pick for Vickery, which helped us land Treloar or produced a swap for Motlop then we would be crazy not to do it. Same goes if someone wants Griff. Only sell them off if the offer is VERY good.

Would still have three quality talls in Riewoldt, McBean and Griff.

Reality is Atley is a Hunt upgrade so maybe Hunt becomes depth, maybe he moves to a wing, good problem to have.
Atley sucks balls. Can't kick over a squashed beer can. He's fast but not a hell of a lot of football sense and if he isn't fed the ball he can't find it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agrreed far from his best footy but here's the thing, we are talking about this season not the future or the past. THIS season, ty is playing much better than griff. he was excellent vs sydney, and if he kicked straighter (missed a set shot you'd usually back him to kick) vs gws would have had another solid game. the block of games freo-gws has been very good. and his game vs collingwood was excellent. he injured his knee vs port and then missed the game vs the dons. had he not missed or been injured I'd say he would have had a very very good two months of footy.

I am not sure Ty is playing much better than Griff but he is playing better atm.

What is more relevant for Ty, who IMO has not had a break out year yet, is he is starting to breakout out now a little properly because IMO he is actually starting to get his body more right in terms of mass and the power and strength he is adding to his game from a stronger more robust physique

Buntine looked pretty good on weekend
You reckon?

Has been my biggest disappointment this season. After a solid year in 2014 (not great but solid enough to build on) he should really be a B grade forward at a minimum this year, but on average he is C grade at best IMO.
If Griff was kicking straight, he'd be having a good season. he's been ok. Still just 46 games, still learning.

Any love for Atley as a hard running HBF?

Not sure on his worth, would our 2nd get it done?
* no. Hack.

I'd rather target bastinac with our second to allow mids such as lids or cotch to play more outside.
atley for hbf makes sense but i don't think it'll release vlastuin. so who else could he replace in that backline? we still have conca to come back who drifts back a lot to help rebound too.
* no. Hack. Bastinac is not inside, he's outside and bland.

Of the two I would say McBean plays more like Vickery. In order to get something good in we have to let something go. If we got an early second round pick for Vickery, which helped us land Treloar or produced a swap for Motlop then we would be crazy not to do it. Same goes if someone wants Griff. Only sell them off if the offer is VERY good.

Would still have three quality talls in Riewoldt, McBean and Griff.

IMO atm, I am not prepared to give Ty up for a second rounder and certainly not as part of a trade for Motlop.

Ty's potential outweighs a straight swap for Motlop plus he age and his structural impact on the team. It is harder to get guys like Ty so I could not swap him for Motlop unless his form really slipped.

I would not swap Griffiths for Motlop either but I might swap him for a first rounder and a little less than Ty depending on the cost/benefits regarding the trade opportunities. I still think Griff has upside and could get a lot better. Trading Griffiths out for a first rounder is debatable to as it is supposedly a little weaker draft so it would only be in the context of a trade for another player(s) IMO. I think Griff has a lot of untapped potential though

Honestly I am curious to see what Elton and McBean would have in currency. Depending on what they are worth I could easily trade them for something else.

I have no trouble trading out Elton and McBean whatsoever. The trouble is one probably does not get much for them atm, so not worth it I guess

Last edited:
I wouldnt mind trading Vickery IF we got a really good deal. Why cant we go for Dixon?
I would much rather take the kid Peter Wright, I would actually be very excited with that prospect and think it could work for both clubs id Charlie Dixon did leave - They would need a mature KPF that can also ruck and have enough ruckman already on their list so Wright is surplus to needs anyway

Yeah I don't where the myth that Bastinac is an inside kid has come from. He's outside as they come. More outside than Ellis. And can't kick.

I'd rather we chased Mullet than Atley if we're looking for a rebounder from Norf. Cheaper and a better kick. Seems out of favour. Had an awesome year in 2013, get him back to that form and we're laughing.

Yeah Bastinac is very outside and a he's turned into a massive squib. Weird as his dad was a brickhouse who played in the ovens murray league and was apparently a hard campaigner.

Might pick him up later as a delisted player or on the very cheap. Worse case scenario he might be handy depth player maybe.

Not a total write-off but I agree, not on most peoples radars obviously

Yeah I don't where the myth that Bastinac is an inside kid has come from. He's outside as they come. More outside than Ellis. And can't kick.

I'd rather we chased Mullet than Atley if we're looking for a rebounder from Norf. Cheaper and a better kick. Seems out of favour. Had an awesome year in 2013, get him back to that form and we're laughing.

IMO we are juggling between plodders/averagers etc.. which is pointless.

I can't see the point rolling the dice on such low balls unless gifts like Hunt as delisted depth options.

Guys like Mullet and Atley are the reason North are North and maturing without challenging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back