Review #1: Chris Newman Observatory - Will Retire End of Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate I was joking on that , but I really agree with you on him
he really has come of age out of all the fringe players on our list I was really surprised with his strong inside work on the weekend and his quick clever accurate releases to an outside target
At one stage I had to check the record to see if Grigg was really number 6
His defensive work is also heavy duty
I'm becoming sold that he's a genuine top ten to fifteen on our list, but I still wouldn't give him more than a two year deal Let him stay hungry and desperate for survival as it benefits us and him

agreed, we are so quick to write off players before they develop. this year players like Grigg and Edwards have proven to be genuine match winners for us. not too long ago people were wondering whether Rance would have a future at our club. it is only by persisting with those second tier players and giving them the opportunity to develop that you can end up turning them into a gun.

Even if you can live by his stats (which I can't)...

There were just too many examples where he just didn't do the small things...
There was one point where he was standing next to a giants player (maybe Griffen but not 100%) they were behind a Giants taking a mark or free kick, Newy too easily let his opponent run past the player with the ball to create the carry and overlap that helped them get past our defensive set-up. What was worse he didn't even try to chase, infact he actually ran on the opposite side the bloke who had the ball originally (maybe in the hope he wouldn't get recognised as the bloke who didn't chase).

Its these GLARING issues that have me more concerned than a kid trying to develop and improve in these areas. If Newy isn't doing them (when at his age he knows exactly what the expectation is, isn't this the leadership everyone goes on about??), let a kid come in and try / learn, and yes they will make mistakes, but if they develop and learn from them thats better than an old player simply just not doing it!

That was a fair dinkum shocker. I didnt notice at the game but on the replay...horrific.

How well were GWS setting up behind the footy? We seemed to kick it to them (their spare) an awful lot.... I was at a bucks day so couldn't make the game (watching it on your phone is even worse than on a tv screen!). I've watched the replay a couple of times but it's hard to see the setup...

I know why they do it but it still kills me. On a wet and slippery day most of the balls coming inside 50 are "dirty" so the extra man just marks it on his chest. Our forwards get shepherded away. Every team does it but it still is so infuriating when we get a centre break.
Start of Q3 was the classic example.

I know why they do it but it still kills me. On a wet and slippery day most of the balls coming inside 50 are "dirty" so the extra man just marks it on his chest. Our forwards get shepherded away. Every team does it but it still is so infuriating when we get a centre break.
Start of Q3 was the classic example.

Just annoying to see players kick blindly when they actually 'know' what the setup is behind the ball prior to a stoppage etc.... frustrating. However, we managed to lift in the last and get over the line. Newy's run down of Shaw helped as did a the efforts by virtually everyone. Batch's two critical contest wins were huge....

This is
How well were GWS setting up behind the footy? We seemed to kick it to them (their spare) an awful lot.... I was at a bucks day so couldn't make the game (watching it on your phone is even worse than on a tv screen!). I've watched the replay a couple of times but it's hard to see the setup...
This is bc we had too many passengers not wanting to work hard enough .the game opened up in the last after DH went through them like castor oil
Suddenly they had to account for us. It's called work rate

This is

This is bc we had too many passengers not wanting to work hard enough .the game opened up in the last after DH went through them like castor oil
Suddenly they had to account for us. It's called work rate

This is what I say week in, week out. People talk about DH's gameplan (sometimes) but if players won't work, it doesn't matter what the plan is.... The coaches job is to try and make that effort as consistently high as possible.... still our biggest problem imo

I think MOST people arent having a go a Chris personally TBH, I for one think he should never be picked in the 1s again...
Does that automatically mean I dont like, disrespect him, realise hes not picking himself.... Of course not...

Most of the argument on here is one of people not believing he should be in the ones.... Then the people that do, AUTOMATICALLY make the assumption that anyone who doesn't want him there has all this NEWY HATE.... There is no hate for the man himself, but people dont have to sit back and be happy to accept the FACT that his is picked on a different set of rules to others. I think we all realise that Newy doesn't make those rules, so the hate is not there for him as an Individual, but mere the decision thats made to play him.

I don't think he could've answered those questions any differently at the presser to be honest so I have no issue there.

I don't agree with the notion though that it should be his decision to make, the club have to make the call at the end of the year... This isn't suburban footy anymore, its one of the biggest industries in this country
Could not have said it better myself. Thanks.

I think MOST people arent having a go a Chris personally TBH, I for one think he should never be picked in the 1s again...
Does that automatically mean I dont like, disrespect him, realise hes not picking himself.... Of course not...

Most of the argument on here is one of people not believing he should be in the ones.... Then the people that do, AUTOMATICALLY make the assumption that anyone who doesn't want him there has all this NEWY HATE.... There is no hate for the man himself, but people dont have to sit back and be happy to accept the FACT that his is picked on a different set of rules to others. I think we all realise that Newy doesn't make those rules, so the hate is not there for him as an Individual, but mere the decision thats made to play him.

I don't think he could've answered those questions any differently at the presser to be honest so I have no issue there.

I don't agree with the notion though that it should be his decision to make, the club have to make the call at the end of the year... This isn't suburban footy anymore, its one of the biggest industries in this country
Valid points, but remember as a club if you are not loyal to a player that gave his all to the club during all those miserable years then other players may worry how they will be treated, its much like Port allowing Cornes to finish his career when he wanted, sense would say they shouldn't have played him in the last couple of weeks to allow him to get his 300 but it was the right thing to do, and if you want to attract free agents you have to have some loyalty.

Valid points, but remember as a club if you are not loyal to a player that gave his all to the club during all those miserable years then other players may worry how they will be treated, its much like Port allowing Cornes to finish his career when he wanted, sense would say they shouldn't have played him in the last couple of weeks to allow him to get his 300 but it was the right thing to do, and if you want to attract free agents you have to have some loyalty.
You talk about Newman and the miserable years. I have to ask what the hell have we achieved lately to not call it miserable.
Yes the club has improved and performances are slightly better but at the end of the day we haven't even won a final under Hardwick or in Newmans time at the club.
e have finished 9th numerous times, what is the difference between 8th and 9th if we cant win a final ?. We have been insipid when it comes to September and have not remotely looked like winning.

What a joke comparing Cornes to Newman. Cornes even this yr was performing a role as a run with player to a pretty decent level. My god if he was with us he would easily be the best run with player we have. Port have made a mistake allowing him to retire imo. I think if they could they would talk him into going around again..

For gods sake what is Newmans role??? What does he do well? Can other younger players give just as much? of course they can. Unlike Cornes Chris provides so little. If he cant see the writing on the wall for himself then it really is up to the club to give him a gentle nudge.

You talk about Newman and the miserable years. I have to ask what the hell have we achieved lately to not call it miserable.
Yes the club has improved and performances are slightly better but at the end of the day we haven't even won a final under Hardwick or in Newmans time at the club.
e have finished 9th numerous times, what is the difference between 8th and 9th if we cant win a final ?. We have been insipid when it comes to September and have not remotely looked like winning.

What a joke comparing Cornes to Newman. Cornes even this yr was performing a role as a run with player to a pretty decent level. My god if he was with us he would easily be the best run with player we have. Port have made a mistake allowing him to retire imo. I think if they could they would talk him into going around again..

For gods sake what is Newmans role??? What does he do well? Can other younger players give just as much? of course they can. Unlike Cornes Chris provides so little. If he cant see the writing on the wall for himself then it really is up to the club to give him a gentle nudge.

When was the last time we came 9th? Hardly numerous of late...:rolleyes:

Have not remotely looked like winning? We were flogging Carlton and got run over.... we were certainly a chance. Port blew us away but we were in the other one up to our eyeballs.

I wouldn't compare Cornes to Newman either, I agree Cornes had output far better than Newy's this season. It is up to the club to give him a nudge though. Do they have the balls?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if the club has any balls they will book a meeting with chris and admin monday morning 9 am. ....lets have a talk mate.....

Honestly needs to be initiated by the club.... clearly Newy won't and that's his prerogative. Pencil in a retirement game later in the year, maybe Gold Coast, or St Kilda this week (I'd prefer not, they are pretty quick) and make it happen.

Ive watched the game twice now and i still havent spotted Newman in the game

Maybe if i watch it in slow motion this time he will be easier to see?

He really is now blocking a kid from getting a run and developing to the afl level.

Id be happy with a kid getting 6 touches or less in a game

His last three weeks have been slow and putrid. The last two weeks, fair dinkum. It's a joke. The irony is, McDonough could get as many touches as Newman if given consistent game time, but, i doubt Newman could rack up as many as Lennon or Matty in the VFL.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

Reckon he is hoping to play finals again and won't do it until then

Absolutely no doubt. Luckily there are still plenty of games left. If he finds form, great, but surely playing another 7-8 games like the last 2??

At least the Doggies always made Gia the sub (and he had impact when he came on - as we know well!!)

Absolutely no doubt. Luckily there are still plenty of games left. If he finds form, great, but surely playing another 7-8 games like the last 2??

At least the Doggies always made Gia the sub (and he had impact when he came on - as we know well!!)

Reckon if he was sub ( in the 4th) over the next few weeks, he would be quite effective...always need an experienced player to close out the game...would suit him and his body

Ive watched the game twice now and i still havent spotted Newman in the game

Maybe if i watch it in slow motion this time he will be easier to see?

He really is now blocking a kid from getting a run and developing to the afl level.

Id be happy with a kid getting 6 touches or less in a game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back