Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet not once, but twice has been adjudged to be the FAIREST and best player in the competition.

Yes, he has committed offences that have seen him suspended, but none as piss weak as say Lake's choking incident, Hall's hit on Staker, deliberate attempts to "cork" opposition players etc. So in other words, nothing that justifies the rampant booing that is currently going on.

Even worse, the general idiocy of asking someone why they are doing it and most will only be able to offer a "you can't tell me who I can or can't boo" as a valid excuse.

Disgraceful IMHO and judge the man over his entire career not a couple of late incidents.

Sheeple.

You left out 2012

How about all of the dangerous high contact incidents that the AFL/MRP conveniently didn't sight him for ? He is an umpires pet, and protected species.

2012 was a blip on the radar the bad guys had to get one victory to make the fairytale ending (2014's smashing) even more deliciously special.

The bizarre part of this whole scenario is that while I'm sure Gil has the best of intentions, the more he makes of the situation I'd guess the worse it gets. You simply cannot justify a call that it's racially based even if there's some evidence that in some quarters there's an element of that. If that blanket assessment were true then it would follow logically that every non-Caucasian player would be getting booed persistently in the same way. I personally don't like it much but FFS stop making it worse by pandering to the so called politically correct who haven't a leg to stand on in making patently false blanket statements.

If you say there's no racial element to the booing, you're an idiot.

If you say Goodes gets booed solely because of stuff he's done on the field, you're an idiot.

In the history of Australian Football, Goodes on field discretions are so relatively minor I can't even believe people try and use that as an excuse for the most prolonged, consistent invective hurled against a player I've ever seen.

I watched every single game Barry Hall played for the Swans. Now he was a thug. He punched a guy in the head and knocked him out cold! When he played away he'd get a smattering of boos on his first possession and then basically nothing for the rest of the game.

That's the same with most of the villians running around these days.

Now I'm not going to say everyone who boos Goodes is a racist. Stupid? Of course. But not racist. A lot of the people are bandwagon hopping morons who think it's a cool thing to do to stick it up the AFL, media, <insert group of choice here>.

But if you don't think there's a fairly significant portion of the crowd booing because Goodes doesn't know his place, you're an idiot.

If you don't think this is creating an environment that is encouraging racism in the crowd and making Indigenous players feel vilified, you're an idiot. There are people being ejected for racist comments on a fairly regular basis wherever Goodes plays. For that reason alone if you're one of the idiots that thinks it's cool to boo for whatever reason? That should make you stop and reconsider what you're doing.

Basically what I'm saying is there's a lot of idiots in this country.

Were you just as outraged when Wayne Carey used to get booed?

See here's the thing now. When this shit started, it really wasn't about race. How do I know this? Because now it most certainly is about race, because those that have believed from the outset that it was a race issue have made absolutely sure of that.

The whole nature of what is happening is getting ugly, and I can assure all of you, a wedge is being driven deep into the heart of race relations now, that will never be removed.
Spot on

Goodes war dance was a negative reaction to a negative action
I have no issue with " celebrations" but that did not look like a celebration to me

Jettas war dance he admits was to have a go at the fans that were booing .... No mention of a celebration
Again a negative reaction to a negative action

Using the "celebration of a goal" as the reason for "war dancing " I believe is disingenuous

I don't like Adam Goodes and my reasons are many - none if which have a single thing to do with his race

Were you just as outraged when Wayne Carey used to get booed?
1. Carey didn't get booed the same way so your point is irrelevant.
2. Carey slept with his best mate's wife and tore a club apart. The fact that you would compare the situations says it all.

What?

Yeah, so a bit of a nothing way to try and contradict the statement. It

:rolleyes:

You said those Freo players don't get booed. I said when they play Geelong they do. You said we weren't talking about Geelong, and I said that until the media etc started getting their knickers in a knot after the Hawthorn game, Adam Goodes was not getting booed at every away game.

Who is contradicting themselves here?

It's actually funny some of the players that are being compared to Goodes, in terms of booing. He's probably copped more in his last four games than most of the others did/have in their entire careers.
And why? Have you asked the question why? You dont think it has anything to do with him stiring up opposition supporters with his spear throwing act? The one that he was happy to say was directed at white opposition supporters (after lying and saying it wasnt)
He said it was a challange to white opposition supporters. And its funny that the same people who had no problem with his agitation of supporters are the same ones who have a problem with those supporters accepting Adams challange.
You see normal people see through the BS. Normal people see the double standard. Normal people take exception to that. Only dogooder nuffies who like to think they are more enlightened than others take this hypocritical issue up as a social outrage.

Last edited:
And why? Have you asked the question why? You dont think it has anything to do with him stiring up opposition supporters with his spear throwing act? The one that he was happy to say was directed at white opposition supporters (after lying and saying it wasnt)
He said it was a challange to white opposition supporters. And its funny that the same people who had no problem with his agitation of supporters and the ones who have a problem with those supporters accepting Adams challange.
You see normal people see through the BS. Normal people see the double standard. Normal people take exception to that. Only dogooder nuffies who like to think they are more enlightened than others take this hypocritical issue up as a social outrage.

Thanks for making the point so succinctly :D

The game is up racists, everyone is onto you and you're getting called out for what you are. Everyone who has an identity is against you (except some old racist ex-players and some old racist administrators) and all thats left are faceless men in the crowd and anonymous keyboard warriors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Carey slept with his best mate's wife and tore a club apart. The fact that you would compare the situations says it all.

Carey used to get booed by nearly every club, so did Buckley as someone else said. And this happened before the Kelli Stevens "incident" by the way.

And what do you mean by "says it all"?

Had Carey cried about it, had Carey then gone and deliberatly stirred up the supporters on the sidelines, had he gone to the AFL to get them to tell everyone to stop he absolutley would have been booed more.

A flog is basically a wan.ker, someone full of himself and his own self importance that he can't see his failings.

Interesting.

There's another Swan, who was part of a group of thugs who bashed a man so savagely that he was left with permanent brain damage. Does he get booed every time he gets the ball?
So you seriously think that all this going on would be done in his name without his approval? You are an idiot.
Still waiting for one link to prove your theory.

Just one link.

So you seriously think Adam Goodes controls the media in this country? You are an idiot, and a paranoid idiot to boot.

"It has nothing to do with race"

1. Is telling an aboriginal man to "go back to the zoo" racist?
2. Do you believe the man who said that also booed Goodes on Sunday?
3. Do you believe he was the ONLY person who booed Goodes for racial reasons?

:rolleyes:

You said those Freo players don't get booed.
No I didn't. I said they weren't booed every time they touched the ball in response to a quote saying they were booed by fans of every team.

I said that until the media etc started getting their knickers in a knot after the Hawthorn game, Adam Goodes was not getting booed at every away game.
You've never said anything like that in response to me.
Who is contradicting themselves here?
Dunno, but you're just making up statements.

The one that he was happy to say was directed at white opposition supporters (after lying and saying it wasnt)
He said it was a challange to white opposition supporters.
He never said that.

Carey was booed because he was good -
the comments he copped after the Stevens incident were beyond the pale
Did he sook up over it ?

:thumbsu:
If you say there's no racial element to the booing, you're an idiot.

If you say Goodes gets booed solely because of stuff he's done on the field, you're an idiot.

In the history of Australian Football, Goodes on field discretions are so relatively minor I can't even believe people try and use that as an excuse for the most prolonged, consistent invective hurled against a player I've ever seen.

I watched every single game Barry Hall played for the Swans. Now he was a thug. He punched a guy in the head and knocked him out cold! When he played away he'd get a smattering of boos on his first possession and then basically nothing for the rest of the game.

That's the same with most of the villians running around these days.

Now I'm not going to say everyone who boos Goodes is a racist. Stupid? Of course. But not racist. A lot of the people are bandwagon hopping morons who think it's a cool thing to do to stick it up the AFL, media, <insert group of choice here>.

But if you don't think there's a fairly significant portion of the crowd booing because Goodes doesn't know his place, you're an idiot.

If you don't think this is creating an environment that is encouraging racism in the crowd and making Indigenous players feel vilified, you're an idiot. There are people being ejected for racist comments on a fairly regular basis wherever Goodes plays. For that reason alone if you're one of the idiots that thinks it's cool to boo for whatever reason? That should make you stop and reconsider what you're doing.

Basically what I'm saying is there's a lot of idiots in this country.

100% correct.

I understand why he is Booed! There are multiple reasons (and no, race isn't one of them). People at the game would have noticed the timing of the boos coincided with Sydney getting dubious frees and a missed free against Goodes. His handling of the incident last year (and negative rather than positive reaction to it ) and people being asked /not to boo, are other factors. . Personally I booed Goodes to the same extent that I booed Reid (not throughout the game , and only at key moments to try and put them off their game!) but it was the umpires who copped the booing the most.

On the other hand , I have Booed players like Judd/Ebert(traitors) , Jobe/Buddy (protected by the media for off-field issues whilst our own Cousins was crucified ) and I will continue to boo players like Boomer (suspended for hitting our players!).

Last edited:
That is the problem with booing. You are assumed to be the same as the racists. Especially in Perth.

Only to simpletons. So let me get this right you let the actions of a few form your opinion of the majority? Gee what other groups do that....

If there are people being racist let's focus on them instead of trying to cast a wide net and putting people offside and blurring the message.

He said it was a challange to white opposition supporters. And its funny that the same people who had no problem with his agitation of supporters are the same ones who have a problem with those supporters accepting Adams challange.
You accept that it is about race at least. So we can move on from the BS about it being about his onfield behaviour.

followed by media joining in and Goodes went along for the ride. Goodes would have done well to say it wasn't racially motivated.
Now he has chosen to go with the race angle.
He has never said it was racially motivated. How many times do I have to say this?

As far as I can see, his ONLY comment on the question of why they boo is that he doesn't know.

Can we stop attributing actions and words to Adam Goodes that are plainly untrue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back