Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a tough topic. Personally I don't mind the crowd getting involved by booing a villain, but the Goodes booing is certainly different.

There are many differing opinions on this board, but for mine the original context of the booing was certainly based on Goodes being outspoken. The fact the primary topic he speaks out about is indigenous affairs makes the booing appear racially motivated. The fact that the booing isn't done to every indigenous player is irrelevant.

From there, the pack mentality sets in and others join the booing. Then we get told we shouldn't boo, so we boo louder, and the snow ball rolls on.

One thing is clear: suggesting Goodes is booed for being a "dirty player" is absolute crap. Do you boo Luke Hodge? There are plenty of dirty players in every club, and none of them are booed the way Goodes is booed.

I think for the average supporter the booing has gone far enough. Whether you agree or not, perception is everything, and in this case it's perceived by many as being racist. If you continue to boo, you're doing so with the full knowledge of this public perception.

Most of the "villains" have not engaged the crowd with behaviour that can be construed as negative

Charlie Cameron got cheered all game - pretty sure he did not feel remotely vilified - along with the numerous other indigenous players getting around each week

You reap what you sow in this world - and if Goodes has hurt feelings over this I guess he now has some idea how the 13 years old girl felt
Ask Charlie and Eddie how they feel about Goodes being booed.

Don't remember Carey and Buckley being booed like Adam Goodes does.The "excuses" for Goodes being booed a piss poor and not one person has been able to give a decent justification.

What happens if Adam Goodes commits suicide because of this booing? Charlotte Dawson committed suicide sue to faceless trolls. Why do people think its appropriate to bully a champion of the game and who has stood up for fellow indigenous persons? Looking at him in the media from when this first started to now it is obvious it is starting to get to him.

If it were to upset him that much he should probably retire on the spot.

Interesting.

There's another Swan, who was part of a group of thugs who bashed a man so savagely that he was left with permanent brain damage. Does he get booed every time he gets the ball?

Still waiting for one link to prove your theory.

Just one link.

So you seriously think Adam Goodes controls the media in this country? You are an idiot, and a paranoid idiot to boot.

Just from reading this thread, you seem very self-absorbed, condescending, patronising and narrow-minded; not something which encourages, or is conducive to sensible debate on a topic like this.

You keep calling for proof and 'links', as if you're in a courtroom or writing submissions. Whilst I agree that people should be held to proof for attributing something someone said or did, calling for proof of something which is their subjective interpretation because it doesn't accord with your own, fails to address the argument.

In the example above someone has stated their view that what has been occurring in the media has been sanctioned by Goodes. Instead of engaging in a discussion as to the merits of this view, based on what you've observed, you immediately call for 'links' to show that Adam Goodes controls the media and call the poster an idiot and paranoid.

The truth probably lies somewhere in between; no, Adam Goodes does not control the media, but that wasn't what the post was saying. The poster made a statement that he thought Goodes was complicit in the media coverage and the manner in which the message has been framed. I don't think that's paranoid, it's probably based on what the poster has observed, which is Adam Goodes participating in media interviews on the issue which substantiate his own position.

Now, I'm sure that Google won't provide me with a link to the 'fact' that I think you're a condescending know-it-all, but it's my subjective interpretation based on your actions in this thread.

Interesting.

There's another Swan, who was part of a group of thugs who bashed a man so savagely that he was left with permanent brain damage. Does he get booed every time he gets the ball?
Did I call that player a flog? You asked for a definition of the term, obviously you don't like it.

Still waiting for one link to prove your theory.

Just one link.

So you seriously think Adam Goodes controls the media in this country? You are an idiot, and a paranoid idiot to boot.
so the Sydney Swans CEO is going to make a comment about one the club players without checking with him?
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...wans-boss-andrew-pridham-20150727-gilc0n.html

One of his closest friends at the club reacted the way he did if he didn't believe it was racist?

Or if it isn't about race than he is a soft precious prick and he and his Sydney team mates need to toughen up and accept being disliked is part of sport, something many players where as a badge of honour.

"WCE fan told Goodes to go back to the zoo"

So 35 pages in are we still claiming there's no racial element to this?

1 man said something, what about the other 10,000?

The AFL machine is in overdrive today, you must think this comrade,

All the players and coaches are out there, Goodes is just a fantastic person.

You will believe or you are a racist.

Forward Soviet.

Goodes is a frustrating player, but you don't see others who are similar such as Joel Selwood get booed every time they touch the ball. True, no other Aboriginal player gets booed to the same extent either, but then no other Aboriginal player has used their profile to highlight issues facing indigenous people and campaign for those.

It is hard to take seriously claims that the relentless booing isn't racist.

I know first hand that some will swear they aren't homophobic, they just don't like homosexuals flaunting it. Often that just means holding hands or kissing in public, as no heterosexual couple would dare to do. People have no issue with women, they love women! But then bemoan and tear down women in positions of power.

So it is with Aboriginals.

If it's because he's such a dickhead as a person, then why doesn't every footballer who has sexual or physical assault allegations aimed their way face the same barrage of boos? Or is kinda being a PC latte sipper worse than being a violent thug?

I've seen here, as inevitably one does, the last argument that those who are wrong throw up, that they have a right to free speech and so they will boo when they want. Free speech is a right, but it doesn't entail a freedom to escape consequence. And when you're in an AFL stadium, on their grounds, then they can ask you to leave. If I went to a club and acted like a boorish tosser and then have security throw me out, I couldn't rely on free speech as an argument as to why I should be let back in.

Something should be done about it, a line needs to be drawn, and I'm glad it looks like steps will be taken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 man said something, what about the other 10,000?

The AFL machine is in overdrive today, you must think this comrade,

All the players and coaches are out there, Goodes is just a fantastic person.

You will believe or you are a racist.

Forward Soviet.
So we are still claiming there's no racial element. Oh good.

It just seems like an childish, antagonistic and boorish type of behaviour (for fans to continually boo Goodes)

Now I'm not a fan or defender of Goodes but it really is getting beyond a joke now, I'm just relieved Collingwood are playing the Swans up there, rather than at the G.

Its not a good look for the game, but I really don't think they can really monitor or police the situation (of fans booing at games)

It just strikes me as an unsavoury lynch mob pack mentality now.
Why?

How is this our fault!

You know what they say, when it's always you copping shit, maybe take a look at your own behaviour!

I for one, was not at the West coast swans game, how many Collingwood fans were?

"WCE fan told Goodes to go back to the zoo"

So 35 pages in are we still claiming there's no racial element to this?
Excuse me but I'm pretty sure that precious few believe that there is no racial element to it. The fact is that the PC morons will have you believe that it is entirely racially motivated. A statement for which they have absolutely no evidence whatsoever. I think it's a fair bet that there is an element who harbour deep seated racial hatred and who use this situation as a cover for their disgusting behaviour. If there were a way to call those people out without affronting the entire football world then it would gain universal praise. Unfortunately, until now I have not seen one proposal or suggestion that would achieve those ends and I therefore have to question the value of tackling the situation in the way that the AFL has. As unfair as it may seem, I suspect that the resolution to the situation lies more with how it is handled by those most affected. Sad but true IMO.

What's funny in this is that Jobe Watson was booed for one game following the doping allegations and it was "Oh poor Jobe" and now the whole ASADA/WADA is getting him down and he might not play football again and everyone is again "Oh poor Jobe".

Adam Goodes is a Grand Final winner, Brownlow medallist, All Australian, Club B&F winner and Australian of the Year. Someone who all footy fans should be proud to have representing our sport to those outside.

Yet everyone says he is a flog and deserves it all because he called out a 13 year old girl who used a racist term and because he won Australian of the Year which he didn't deserve apparently.

. The poster made a statement that he thought Goodes was complicit in the media coverage and the manner in which the message has been framed. I don't think that's paranoid, it's probably based on what the poster has observed, which is Adam Goodes participating in media interviews on the issue which substantiate his own position..

The poster made a statement that Goodes was the one who made this about race, which he has reaffirmed a few times in this thread. There is nothing Goodes has said in any discussion on the topic that supports that. Saying it's true because he hasn't gone out of his way to dismiss any racial undertones is stupid and doesn't support the original statement.

Good on you for educating yourself. Check out indigenous life expectancy in Australia as well.

Check out? I've done an entire course on indigenous history as part of a post grad. I am quite up to date with indigenous affairs and I'm very understanding of the history and statistics.

How does booing a player make me racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back