Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say he was quiet about it.
You outlined a number of factors that give no other reasonable deduction. He did it behind closed doors (he didn't actually, but I don't think you actually know much about what happened), didn't do anything on field, and was discreet.

You outlined a number of factors that give no other reasonable deduction. He did it behind closed doors (he didn't actually, but I don't think you actually know much about what happened), didn't do anything on field, and was discreet.

Yep you draw that conclusion. Why don't you just call me a racist and get it over with? :D

Thomas doesn't get booed witth every touch from the opening bounce, though.

Because Thomas took his initial boos on the chin and had a laugh about it. Goodes on the other hand had a big hissy fit which prompted his boos to grow.

Also, I've genuinely seen games where Thomas does in fact get booed with every touch.

Your suggestion that indigenous Australians and Adam Goodes should be somehow thankful for the founding of Australia is just preposterous. It was a landgrab, it stripped an entire culture(s) of their sovreignty, it stripped people of their culture, it's history is surrounded with all sorts of terrible behaviour and to suggest they as a people should be thankful is just ridiculous.

I have no love for Goodes and I don't really think of his opinion too highly but this notion that White Australia somehow saved these poor black souls is just such a backwards concept and if it still persists to this day then I bloody hope that as many people involved (including Goodes) can get the message out and tell their side of history.

For good or ill, if you look at the history of the hundred years or so after the first fleet, even if the Brits didn't do it, realistically, some Europeans were going to colonise/conquer Australia. If the Brits hadn't done it, then this country probably would have ended up like Africa and divided up between a bunch of colonial powers.

It's tough to say if it would have been better or worse for the indigenous people, but compared to most, the Brits were *relatively* nice, so more likely than not, things would have been worse for them.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that they should be grateful to the Brits who dispossessed them but the fact of the matter is, the Aboriginals of Australia were going to cop it badly regardless, and it could have been worse.

There's no doubt a lot of the boos are related to his diving/staging on the field, but if it was just that then it doesn't explain why he gets boo'd so much more than other players that are much worse culprits (Thomas, Selwood etc.). The reason he cops it the worst is because he's outspoken and speaks his mind on some controversial issues in public. It's the same as any whistleblower, or anyone standing up for their rights. The mob mentality loves to attack anyone that speaks outside the fold and it's a massive issue in our society.

Boo him when he dives, boo every player when they dive if that riles you up, but booing him because everyone else is because he's Adam Goodes just makes you a complete flog.

Goodes is really a victim of the media. He would not have been booed as badly if Roos did not spruik the "muscle memory" BS, that just made Goodes a protected specie in public sentiments. Similarly Goodes himself never made complaints about the booing being racist until the media took hold of it and flogs like Robbo started to call fans racist. A lot of the acrimony towards Goodes can be attributed to the fans' displeasure towards Sydney's perceived unfair playing advantages and flogs like Robbo. Unfortunately the booing of Goodes became the outlet. Imagine if Goodes played for the Bulldogs, I don't there would've been nearly the level of reaction we are seeing.

I've listened to the speech twice now and am still trying to find where he insinuated anything you claim

Me too, I've watched the speech and he didnt say anything controversial when accepting the award. Pretty clear people are posting here without even knowing any facts.

Funny that someone can be offended by something that didnt happen...
I have to admit that you're both correct, Goodes' quotes did not come up in the speech. It was afterwards that he said he viewed Australia Day with sorrow and with anger, and that he thought of it as Invasion Day.

I think his political stance makes him a poor choice for AOTY, and I think that his activism/posturing is a big factor in the booing. He's among the most priviliged in society, and his self-portrayal as a victim is ridiculous.

Thanks for pulling me up on the speech though, his comments come from afterwards.

Looking forward to the booing the west coast lads will get the next time we play the swans in sydney. Might be worth the trip over just to soak up the atmosphere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep you draw that conclusion.
Well it's a pretty simple one to draw. Of all the things you could have written about the Long incident, you wrote three things that were essentially the same thing, he wasn't too loud about it.

I think the point of the booing was to try and put him off his game, because people seem to think it might affect him. I don't think it was overtly racist from the crowd, but more of a provocation.

Or perhaps they were just bored. By the time he kicked Sydney's first goal for the game the result was beyond doubt. Perhaps they decided to make some noise and see what happened.
Could well be the case.

I would just prefer we didn't do it so it can't be blamed on racism. Plus, I think it has ran it's course. We can't boo him forever, we've forgiven far worse. Why does Goodes treated seemingly worse than others? Is it racist? Well, it definitely is for some. That's enough for me to step back from it.

At what age do you think it can be appropriate to pull someone up on racism?
All ages.

It's an issue of proportionate justice.

Think back to your childhood - imagine your most embarassing mistake. Now imagine it being pointed to by a celbrity in front of 50,000 people, on the super screen, on nation wide television, and held up as a pariah for what is wrong with the world. Would it feel fair to you? Or is it only fair if it's somebody else's child?

She did need to be disciplined, but not in a public shaming.

Adam's mum will be on sunrise tomorrow to appeal for people to leave her son alone.

Talk about pouring petrol on the fire.
Hahaha.

This happened at my school when a kid was being bullied. Totally helped the situation and he defintely didn't end up topping himself a few years later.

At what age do you think it can be appropriate to pull someone up on racism?

Privately with someone you're familiar with? Any age where they can understand the concepts involved (so probably ~4+).

Publicly in front of a large crowd to a stranger? An Adult.

What makes him, or anyone else think they can claim blanket statements like "all booing of him is racial" are true, therefore censor and suppress blocks of people from expression? Which those in this thread are suggesting outright, and those in the media are. It's a shame tactic being waged....

There are racists who boo. Anyone who boos is supporting the racists. If you are booing Goodes you should be ashamed of yourself.

Any opposition supporter who boos Goodes anywhere near me will be getting reported to security.

We all know Goodes wanted that Nicky Winmar moment he just used a 13 year old girl to get it

I can imagine him now standing in front of the mirror practicing
It was his " gotcha moment" for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back