Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Racism is everywhere and it filters down

You have fifty thousand people in a stadium and it's an opportunity to educate people on mass

I see that as great opportunity not something which is uncomfortable .....

I see racism every bloody day mate .....it's national shame

Actually, fifty thousand people are there to watch the footy. I don't think you'll get the same turnout for a pay-to-enter lecture on racism.

This whole booing crap is obviously getting too far out of hand now IMO. Enough that players need time out of the game because if it... It's impacted Adam & also Jobe. How many more tall poppys are we going to cut down?

A player from a club that isn't yours?? I know, boo the s**t out of them so much they need time off. Great idea.

So you choose to boo? Good on you. I know that it's your right to do so. It might make you feel tough or funny or satisfied your rights haven't been infringed... the only problem is that it makes you look like a cowardly, bigoted, weak, pathetic, ignorant, immature sheep. Show some courage, have some balls & don't become another sheep. Be a better person. Be brave. Act like you'd want fans to treat your clubs champions. With the respect they deserve.
That's our prerogative and on our conscience. It's a personal choice and my personal choice is to continue booing. How it makes a person look is subjective. Some people think Jetta looked like a prat, others applauded him. That's also subjective.

Express your opinion by all means, but don't try an assume an authoritarian stance when throwing around adjectives like bigot, weak, pathetic and the like. Whether these terms apply to the behaviour of booing is subjective. The only behaviour those terms definitely apply to in the context of this argument is racial abuse. I think you calling everyone the above terms for booing is pathetic, but that is also my opinion and subjective.

If I want to boo I will boo and I couldn't care in the slightest if it upsets you, Goodes, Rioli or the Queen of England.

I'm doing nothing wrong.

Yes. I'm in this camp. His dealing with that situation was questionable. And part of why I understand those booing. I don't condone booing, I don't go to games to be able to boo (wouldn't anyway) but I do condone challenging Adam Goodes over his on-field and off-field behaviour and if that manifests as booing for people in this sensitive climate, I support their expression.

He chooses to be out there. He must deal with that choice. And hes doing a poor job.

Look at Hird for how to face constant scrutiny. Most people think hes scum, shouldn't be there, is responsible for the drug saga, is guilty -- and he gets on with it without victimising himself.
what should he do, do you think? About his on-field and off-field behaviour. Serious question.

Am I the only one who wasn't entirely comfortable with the manner in which he dealt with the whole situation around the 13-year old girl? This is different to having an issue with the fact he got upset about it at all, as he was well within his rights to do, if he felt he was racially abused. It just seems like this was the real flash point in all this.

I'd like to have another look at the thread at the time. Something tells me it would be a lot more sympathetic towards Goodes than so many people apparently were in retrospect.

Also was ejected by my mates who are co-managers at Tramp for racking up lines of coke in the bathroom but of course this doesn't get air time because he is a golden child of the comp who can do no wrong.

Pretty serious acusations there that you're putting out into the public for all to read without any evidence. Could you provide one small bit of evidence to back this story up? If not, perhaps a good idea to take it down IMO. Up to you of course.

This is all getting beyond a joke now. If I want to boo I'll boo who I dam well want too! If I feel Adam Goodes deserves it he'll cop it! And that goes for any other player.

This is yet another example of AFL mismanagement and not been able to hand the situation, well done lads you've just fuelled the fire even more.

Piss poor!!

How about if my great great grandfather burned down your great great grandfathers house and I apologised? Would you not move on?
Not really the same analogy.

If progressive generations of my family burned your family's house down every 2-3 years for no good reason. Then, after 200 years of doing this, I apologise, but refuse to help build you a new house and offer no guarantee I won't burn it down in the future. Would you accept it and move on?

The poor treatment of our aboriginal people isn't a one off act. We've done it for generations so it will have a lasting impact and will take further generations to get over.

If Goodes last game isn't at the SCG, will the opposition crowd Boo as he's chaired of by his team mates?
(In b4 no he'll be cheered because the flog finally retired)

People have a confused notion that exploration makes you big. Screw the capital requirements, or the labour requirements, they wouldn't have enough people in any form to inhabit so many places at once. They chose their targets wisely. The British just settled anything dry and never figured out why it blew up in their face one colony after another.

The Brits had other goals than 'just' money...Like how the Spanish wanted to convert everyone to Catholicism, the Brits wanted to civilise the locals (and make some coin out of it as well if possible).

You say it blew up in their faces...I'm not so sure (relatively speaking at least), but I think it's true to say that the ex-British colonies tended to fare noticeably better once their 'overlords' left than most other places.

No - please tell me why I cant Boo Adam Goodes?

Because I'll hurt his feelings.

Time for him to fade,off into the sunset if he cant take the boos.

Happened before him and will happen after him.

Wayne Carey, Plugger, Headland, Ballas, Jobe, Thomas, Dermott, etc etc all cop the same treatment.

It seems Adam is above everyone else. I dont think he is....so Ill BOO him.

So you are just going to remain isolated in your own little world and not give two rats about any issue larger than yourself? It's called racial sensitivity. Perth could possibly stop being known as the bogan capital of Australia if people could control their egotistical behaviors and care for the greater good once in a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still struggling to reconcile people looking at a debate with Miranda Devine, Barry Hall and Eddie McGuire on one side and every respected player, coach, official and media figure on the other - including their own club's - and thinking; "yeah, I want to die defending that hill with the guy who called him king kong, that's the right choice"

The mind boggles.

Maybe they defend what they believe in, not what the cool people believe in.

Good video. Disagree with the first bit about the finger / cultural display; but he is spot on from there on in about the dynamic of tolerance in Australia.

In short, we collectively can't handle a bit of criticism.

And in this affair, it appears to be working both ways

At the beginning I believed the Goodes abuse was justified due to on-field acts only e.g. staging for frees, bumping into players etc. Look even Selwood for head high free kicks and Mitchell for faux injection get booed.

Now it has become racial due to its longevity and prolonged nature. So racist folk are using the cloak of ordinary folk to boo this man incessantly.

Adam needs to realise he is no angel and perhaps being provocative on the footy field is not best way to get his message of greater Aboriginal rights across.

People need to communicate another method of displeasure to him as booing is masking an ugly element of society.

Both Adam and footy public can learn lessons from this debacle.
I don't think 99% of people are still booing because of racism. People are still doing it because Goodes is a sook and has complained about it, and the fans in general don't like him. His dance certainly didn't help either as the fans only way to get back at him for that dance is to boo him.

I'm not sure how telling everyone getting booed upsets him is supposed to help. Is he aware people boo to get under his skin and hopefully put him off his game? And he comes out and confirms that it's working? lol

Taking offense is a personal choice. If I feel the offendee is being overly precious, yes I will continue to deliberately offend that person. Especially in a forum like a professional sporting event.

Mate I fully respect your right to boo someone. It's legal and it's up to you. As long as you realise the consequences of your actions and that you can respect others who find those actions offensive (including Goodes' mum who by the way is that upset she has publicly asked you to stop). No one can tell you to stop, just ask. Hope you can have a think about it. All the best.

That's our prerogative and on our conscience. It's a personal choice and my personal choice is to continue booing. How it makes a person look is subjective. Some people think Jetta looked like a prat, others applauded him. That's also subjective.

Express your opinion by all means, but don't try an assume an authoritarian stance when throwing around adjectives like bigot, weak, pathetic and the like. Whether these terms apply to the behaviour of booing is subjective. The only behaviour those terms definitely apply to in the context of this argument is racial abuse. I think you calling everyone the above terms for booing is pathetic, but that is also my opinion and subjective.

If I want to boo I will boo and I couldn't care in the slightest if it upsets you, Goodes, Rioli or the Queen of England.

I'm doing nothing wrong.

that's your right just don't be surprised or upset if you are labelled for doing it

So you are just going to remain isolated in your own little world and not give two rats about any issue larger than yourself? It's called racial sensitivity. Perth could possibly stop being known as the bogan capital of Australia if people could control their egotistical behaviors and care for the greater good once in a while.

I'm glad you are confident in your assertion of all things to throw stones buddy. Keep playing the man. You are a winner.

You obviously speak on behalf of the greater WA community.

Get over yourself bro.

I really want to know, how do so many people just KNOW why everyone else is booing?
Has even one person admitted they do it for racial reasons?
If not then what evidence or survey results do you have access to?
Are you using gut feel?
If you don't know for sure, then what if you're wrong?

Maybe the people booing aren't the ones who see the world in skin colour, just a thought.

But if you claim to KNOW it's racially motivated, please share your hard evidence.

Adam Goodes should be careful when HE decides an ambiguous action like booing is suddenly a racist slur.
What's next, applauding the opposition?

The Brits had other goals than 'just' money...Like how the Spanish wanted to convert everyone to Catholicism, the Brits wanted to civilise the locals (and make some coin out of it as well if possible).

You say it blew up in their faces...I'm not so sure (relatively speaking at least), but I think it's true to say that the ex-British colonies tended to fare noticeably better once their 'overlords' left than most other places.
We could go all night without necessarily disagreeing with one another. It's a fascinating subject.

My comment about colonies blowing up in their faces is more or less aimed at their choice in settling Australia, seemingly oblivious that another continent they settled was fighting them off at the same time. And twice as far away this time round to boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back