Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you come to this conclusion? Robbo told you so? This still doesnt mean that everyone booing is a racist.

Do you honestly think the person ejected for shouting 'go back to the zoo' at Adam Goodes wasn't a boo-er?

That guy should have his membership torn up.

When Goodes did his war dance he said he did it to show he was a warrior.
Not much of a warrior. If he falls apart when people are throwing Boos at him, god knows what would happen if he was in a real war zone. A warrior you are not Adam.
A cry baby you are.

But you are showing you have no idea about this. It's ok to say you see no real evidence of on field actions. I'll reply with I see no real evidence of racism. Prove me wrong?

Against Hawthorn on a number of occasions he has sniped people. The Hawk fans have not liked him for years, I think it was a snipe on Gibbo and there has been another on him and one on Shiels from recent memory. What irates many Hawk supporters is he never gets called for it or penalised because he is Goodes. I'd suggest that protection is motivated by the fact he's in a non-football state and indigenous.

Goodes, the Swans and the AFL have brought this on himself/themself. There is no doubt a racist element. I am sure 99% of dislikers are not part of that.

I think he is a sniper, has been overly protected as a player, gifted awards he did not deserve and constantly media whores himself to get in the news. His taking on a 13 year old was un-Australian in the eyes of many, irrespective of the terrible thing she said.

His war dance bullshit did more to harm relations then address them. I have indigenous mates that think he is a "fake flog" for doing what he did and said if he did that against their team they'd want to go at him.

But we are all racist...

(shakes head, how ignorant the moral high ground is)
And don't forget the cheap shot on Stratt's in the GF

What should he do, do you think? About his on-field and off-field behaviour. Serious question.

I'll field all serious questions.

I would think he can do himself a huge favour to concede that some people think he has a past reputation for on field stuff, and there was a "protected species" stigma around him which he got boo'd for back in the 2000's well before he spoke on race.

He just ignores that it happened, and that part of his booing now could come from that long standing factor.

Off field... nothing much can be done at this point. And for his political future he would never want to concede anything on that front.

Do you honestly think the person ejected for shouting 'go back to the zoo' at Adam Goodes wasn't a boo-er?

That guy should have his membership torn up.

No - I am saying that doesn't make everyone that booed a racist.

Do you honestly think 100% of eagle fans are racist?

C'mon dude...

If you're gonna get stuck into someone with pretty impressive academic and public service credentials, it would help if you used actual grammar and/or correct idiomatic expressions...
I'm sorry English isn't my first language.

My point still stands Waleed is full of it.

No - I am saying that doesn't make everyone that booed a racist.

Do you honestly think 100% of eagle fans are racist?

Nope. And not supporter group is racist. At least, I don't think so.

But there is a racial element - most supporters I'd hope are genuinely not racist and some of them would've booed Goodes. However, there is undeniably a racist component to it.

Hello he did a war dance in front of Carlton supporters CARLTON SUPPORTERS! Sydney were already way in front at the time. His "celebration" was more of arrogance than celebrating a coming together of races.

Jetta's celebration was one of defiance and the complete opposite of Goodes - when Sydney had their pants around their ankles and spanked super hard.

Goodes can join a political party and campaign all he wants for a fair go.

Play on the football field and keep it about football.

Nicky Winmar's statement was thought provoking and was influentual.

Goodes statement is nothing but self serving.

It was during INDIGENOUS ROUND. All it was was a celebration. If you are offended or feel threatened by it then that is quite pathetic and weak to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I very much think the exposure of that incident is why he got the very next AOTY given out.

Hahahaha what?

Let's see.

Someone had to nominate him for the NSW award first. He got that, ,primarily for his work with Indigenous youth in Redfern and his advocacy for Indigenous people through footy.

Then he had to win the national vote. Not easy as there were 7 other worthy Australians vying for it. The National Australia Day Council does that.

But there is a racial element - most supporters I'd hope are genuinely not racist and some of them would've booed Goodes. However, there is undeniably a racist component to it.

I agree - think people arguing different things on here. Abusive guy should lose membership. But I still think we should be able to boo whoever we want!

So as not to discriminate.

fc552b33-e82e-4790-8dc3-43a6b550337f_zpsikgbjkmu.jpg

I don't mind a mix of sport and politics. For a well known sportsperson to raise issues that should be heard and considered and debated - I would say that is a good use of publicity generated from sporting success, and while not everyone has to do it, I think it is a good thing.

The issue of homophobia has been raised by a number of sportspeople and I think it is a good thing. Likewise, I have no issue whatsoever with Goodes employing his sporting achievements to raise a much bigger issue that is to this day a national challenge and an important message to ask people to stop and think about their behaviour and stop and think about how these things might affect any number of indigenous Australians.

ABC news just reported the thing about Goodes taking leave. Makes me ashamed. I don't agree with the people who say they don't like Goodes because he makes it all about him. I think he has done something a step beyond being all about him - which he could achieve by taking a big check to play footy. His stance makes it about much more than him, it's about everyone. I call that pretty brave. And now he is suffering as a consequence. I can't be the only person who feels ashamed when this happens.

You know what FP, the are several components to this issue, there are 100 pages of comments
which address many of these.

I appreciate you think there is a racial element, but FFS why dont you spend 2 minutes
of your life on the other elements.

Simple question FP, these 1000's of fans who boo Goodes, do you actually think that they are all racist?

Just say, now if you cant, how about you consider the non racial aspects of this issue.

I'm amazed that I made it 100 pages through this thread and noone has brought up another serious - certainly far more widespread - problem with racism in the AFL. That is the number of white players who are applauded - obviously - for no other reason than their whiteness.

Its disgusting. This supremacist bullshit has to end now.

It was during INDIGENOUS ROUND. All it was was a celebration. If you are offended or feel threatened by it then that is quite pathetic and weak to be honest.
So lets get this straight. If I do something like Boo Adam Goodes, even if its not due to his race, if he is offended by it I should think about it from his point of view and change. If he does something that offends me however, I should see it from his point of view and not be offended.
Seems legit.

I'll field all serious questions.

I would think he can do himself a huge favour to concede that some people think he has a past reputation for on field stuff, and there was a "protected species" stigma around him which he got boo'd for back in the 2000's well before he spoke on race.

He just ignores that it happened, and that part of his booing now could come from that long standing factor.

Off field... nothing much can be done at this point. And for his political future he would never want to concede anything on that front.

So he should make a statement to that effect? It would set an interesting precedent. The fact that his on-field behaviour was so long ago (at least two years?) does tend to suggest that it is not the main factor in the recent booing. Would you agree with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back