Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selwood definitely gets booed and gets booed more by Hawks than most other teams. as much as Goodes ? No but it hasn't been made a public issue.

I'm a scientist, I look at it scientifically. So let's do that.

If you are looking for a cause of something you take one variable and change it while keeping all other variables the same and see if that changes your outcome.

Ok so what do we know ?

Goodes gets booed.

Ok so do all players get booed ?

No, so how is he different ?

He's aboriginal.

Ok, so do all aboriginals get booed ?

No, ok how else is he different ?

He speaks on indigenous issues

Ok, do all players who speak on indigenous issues get booed ?

No, ok so how else is he different ?

He is viewed as a dirty player and a stager, do all such players get booed ?

Yes, ok so that's a factor.

Do They get booed as much as Goodes ? No.

Ok so how is he different ? His booing was made a huge issue and made a race issue.

Do other players who did this get booed receive the same treatment?

We don't know. So that's inconclusive.

Ok, let's look at other variables.

We know Goodes is booed more by Certain teams. Do those teams boo other indigenous players more than white players or outspoken players ? No

Ok, do those teams have anything in common ?

Yes they lost recent grand finals to the Swans.

Ok.

So what do we know.

The evidence suggests that Goodes is booed because of his staging and dirty play and is booed more by teams that have a rivalry and has increased due to being made a public and media issue.

The is no conclusive evidence that Goodes race is a factor in his booing nor is his stance on race issues but this can't be discounted.

Since a large number of people responsible for the booing have come forward and given reason for their booing as on field behaviour etc related while not a single person to my knowledge has given race as a reason for booing it's highly unlikely that the booing is in anyway race related.

Much of what you say is interesting. But I will approach things from my background - I am a lawyer and an economist and I know firstly that many people who commit crimes deny ever doing so and secondly in economics revealed preference suggests that what people actually do is a better indicator of their preferences than what they might say.

The last paragraph then is just nonsensical.

WTF? Why? With all due respect to Polly, what exactly has he done to earn the award over the past 30-40 years, let alone January-December, 2013? My understanding is that he's been too crook to do much of anything in recent years.

Talk about tokenism: you would prefer to anoint a guy that is probably spending his time sitting on the couch, than someone that is involved in numerous community projects, because he'd be a 'better statesman'? It's the Australian of the Year Award, which kind of implies, you know, that you've actually done something over the past 12 months. It's not a lifetime achievement award.

Polly Farmer aside, there are plenty of Australians out there doing community service and the like. Goodes receiving the award certainly smelled of political pandering. There were people doing more impressive and important things that get overlooked for a bit of tokenism. Have a click on the various descriptions - wouldn't have been many peoples' first choice if actual achievements were the sole criteria.

So with Adam now taking time away from the game and not playing this weekend due to his emotional well being this is now turning into more of an issue of protecting a players mental health or is booing more important then that
The right to boo Goodes is more important than the welfare of the player apparently.

That's where many here are starting to show their true colours. "Make him suffer".

By the same token, I'm Australian and I feel no connection to the First Fleet either. None of my family arrived here until the 1860's.
Then your family has benefited from a policy of discrimination and prejudice for over 150 years.

Surely it doesn't hurt too much to learn the history of indigenous Australians and understand their plight.

There's 2 possibilities:

1) You're booing him for taking a strong stance against racism which makes you a racist shithead.
2) You're knowingly providing cover for the above racists by booing him for other dumb reasons. Which just makes you a racist-enabling shithead.

3) You don't like him and aren't responsible for what other people are doing.

Mind blowing.

And before you crack on, I don't care for the booing, but I'm not about to lump everyone in the racist basket for doing it.

There's 2 possibilities:

1) You're booing him for taking a strong stance against racism which makes you a racist shithead.
2) You're knowingly providing cover for the above racists by booing him for other dumb reasons. Which just makes you a racist-enabling shithead.

So all booing, regardless of intent, and regardless of the knowledge of intent of others, is racist?

Huh?

He's being 'protected' at the moment because he's being bullied!

No, he's been the Precious for quite some time to a lot of people!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just one example of several dirty sniping plays by Goodes where the AFL just let it go. Fair bump play on.... apparently

We all know about that.

The question remains - what changed between 2006 and 2013 where there wasn't boos even by the demons fans and then there was by the Hawks fans ?

Your fellow hawk fan suggests the Hawks lost in 2012. What the Fock is your excuse ?

The full transcript and context of the "face of racism" comments are a couple of pages back. I suggest you read them, but I suspect you would rather rely on the "face of racism" three worder, as it supports your position much better.

In any case, Goodes was likely still pretty upset the next morning, so I don't have an issue with a bit of slack being cut his way.

What are your views on McGuire's King Kong joke made a good four days later by the way?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rence-transcript/story-fni5fan7-1226650424034

"I turned around and when I saw it was a young girl and I thought she was 14, that was my initial thought, I was just like 'really?'. "

So he knew from the get go it was a young girl there and then .... But not content with that ....the NEXT day

"to be able to make a stand myself and say racism has a face last night and, you know, it was a 13-year-old girl but it's not her fault."

Not her fault but he still labelled her that dreadful title .....
So, to warrant this kind if reaction from Goodes, surely she meant it ....

"No, she was shocked mate, she was really shocked and that's what hurt me so bad, it's when I turned around, I just saw this young face and I was just, it was just sad, like it was so sad and I think the worst thing for me was to actually come off, because I just sat there for a minute and it just hit me, that's why I had to leave the arena, it just broke my heart"

.... Seems she didn't

So
1. he knew she was young when he pointed her out
2. He made a big deal of it on the ground after the match
3. He had all night to think of a way to deal with it
4. He admitted she didn't realise what she'd said was so bad and STILL laid into her with the "face of racism"

MacGuire is a tool
I wasn't surprised he behaved like that
He's a misogynistic purple headed tool

I really think this term "unintentionally racist" or accidental racism is kind of an oxymoron. It just doesn't make sense to call it racism if that's the case.

WTF how could you consider that racist!!!

This girl is clearly the aggressor and Goodes the victim

And if your daughter was racist you would defend it?
How can Goodes consider a football crowd booing as racist?

The girl is clearly a little child and Goodes is 90-100kg muscle bound adult. Maybe send out a complaint to security at qrt time or something to ask why children are saying things that "could" be interpreted as racist.

Yes I would defend my young daughter from pretty much any crime, when she is old enough and knows she can't be make childish mistakes anymore than my opinion will be different.

Polly Farmer aside, there are plenty of Australians out there doing community service and the like. Goodes receiving the award certainly smelled of political pandering. There were people doing more impressive and important things that get overlooked for a bit of tokenism. Have a click on the various descriptions - wouldn't have been many peoples' first choice if actual achievements were the sole criteria.

No doubt. He wouldn't have been my first choice either. But he was given it and it's now become a convenient excuse. No doubt if Tom Calma or Noel Pearson or mick Dodson had got it and said the same sort of things they would have been castigated by the same fringe - how dare they be divisive like that ?

Ive had a enough of this Adam Goodes booing crap. I don't agree with everything he says BUT the idiots who think thats it is acceptable to constantly boo him are wrong. Not everyone who does it are racist but let me tell you, a fair percentage of those who do are. [Lets get over it and and start acting like its 2015] not 1955. Nobody deserves to go to their workplace and be bullied and discriminated against and that is EXACTLY what is going on here. Booing is fine when some player takes a cheap shot but this is a campaign that really has nothing to do with Adam Goodes the footballer and I think anyone who thinks about this a bit more deeply would realise this. I'm quite frankly embarrassed that this is happening in this day and age.

Hey that reads like my advice for Adam Goodes!

Oh. Another "I'm embarrassed to be Australian", "I'm embarrassed by this thread" added to the list. How original. More shaming attempts for the masses.

WTF? Why? With all due respect to Polly, what exactly has he done to earn the award over the past 30-40 years, let alone January-December, 2013? My understanding is that he's been too crook to do much of anything in recent years.

Talk about tokenism: you would prefer to anoint a guy that is probably spending his time sitting on the couch, than someone that is involved in numerous community projects, because he'd be a 'better statesman'? It's the Australian of the Year Award, which kind of implies, you know, that you've actually done something over the past 12 months. It's not a lifetime achievement award.
Oh dear.

I didn't say Polly for AOTY, I distinctly said "someone along the lines" of Polly, - someone with his social standing already having an MBE and the respect of the community. Polly is 80 years old, hardly at an appropriate stage in his life to do the job himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back