Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bollocks.
You're taking a very simplistic, American History Xesq view about this.
You don't have to go burning crosses or tattoo nazi symbols on you to be a racist.
You could be an average Joe.. On an Internet forum.. Saying the 'right' things but liking every single bigoted post not realising we can all see.
That's closeted racism. Truly gutless, I know. But it does happen.

Surely though there would be at least one person not afraid to say it on here. Popular belief seems to be that White Australians only can be racist, and that is 99% of them which we both know is wrong.
Every race can be racist, but I would say the number is sub 1%.

you mean you disagree with them or do you feel better by saying "utterly abhorrent" :)

but its okay if she finds your views to be utterly abhorrent, right?
She writes opinion pieces for the Herald Sun. So yep, readers are entitled to disagree with her. They are also entitled to conclude, quite rightly, that she writes ignorant trash. They are not, imo, entitled to send her threatening tweets etc.

Sept-Oct are the historical traditional months for major Stock Market crashes but with the big ones the commodities and bond markets begin tanking months beforehand. Guess what's been happening? Word. Research what you need to get squared away with - tangibles - things you physically own and in your hands. Things that enable you to live and survive. Feel free to PM if you want to discuss more - I've been monitoring this for almost 20 years since the Longford Gas Explosion disaster.

I've been doing exactly this for the past 6 months.

PM me if you have any insight to share.

I'm no conspiracy theorist but this is no conspiracy, it's real and it's scary.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...lur-by-fan-apology-made-and-accepted.1008006/
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...affe-about-adam-goodes-and-king-kong.1009298/

Interesting reading going back over the first dozen or so pages of these threads. I'd say conservatively the sentiment was about 90% pro-Goodes and about 75% anti-girl (everything from laughing at her looks, body, her stunned reaction to Goodes' pointing her out, to demands for her to be banned for life 'as a minimum' and maybe 2-3 posts worrying about the decision to publish her face) and similar ratios with Goodes and McGuire a few days later.

I't would be interesting to pinpoint exactly when the tide turned, because the popular sentiment certainly wasn't that Goodes was bullying the girl, or picking an easy target, in the heat of the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"The players have also resolved that anyone who continues to boo the dual Brownlow medallist should be branded racist."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...for-goodes-20150729-gin8xy.html#ixzz3hHlBAcoQ

What utter horse s**t. Boo player = must be racist. That is some ****ed up logic right there. I've seen white players get booed too. Does that mean that those who boo them are doing so out of racial motivations? Please.
Do the other aboriginal players get booed? Burgoyne, Johnson, Wells, etc. No, they do not. And why is that? Well, you see, it's because they aren't nuffies.
Goodes is subject to booing because of the way he carries on and makes it about him.

Do you actually comprehend what you have written here ? This is in astonishingly bad taste. You may as well run your white supremacist flag up the pole right now.

This is the most ill informed racially motivated post in his forum.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

Explain how this is racist?

What utter horse s**t. Boo player = must be racist. That is some stuffed up logic right there. I've seen white players get booed too. Does that mean that those who boo them are doing so out of racial motivations? Please.
Do the other aboriginal players get booed? Burgoyne, Johnson, Wells, etc. No, they do not. And why is that? Well, you see, it's because they aren't nuffies.
Goodes is subject to booing because of the way he carries on and makes it about him.

What a fresh take on the issue.

I'll let someone else respond to this rhetoric for the 150th time in this thread.

Conversely what happened in the last year that justifies the increased booing??

dunno. perhaps more people joined in as it became a more accepted way to voice their displeasure at someone they think is a bit of a sook? maybe it will decline in time too. i'm finding the hyperventilating about it a bit queer.

i'm not claiming to understand how a complex system of thousands of interacting personalities evolve ideas and behaviours, or the mechanism by which memes spread. that's why i'm never going to blanket label thousands of people 'racists' all at one time. seems like a kind of simple, pin-headed thing to do.

the thought that if a few racists were somehow magicked out of the crowd the booing would stop is laughable to me. the (granted) presence of (some) racists in the crowd could not be a causation or even a significant catalyst in my mind, rather it's noncausal, simultaneous but separate.

so, the booing was loud last year, and he took it as a badge of honour then. what's changed? he doesn't like the ride now and wants to get off?

Last edited:
"Im not booing him cos hes an aborigine im booing cos hes a diver and complains to the ump." --- Maybe once a twice then get bored of it. To carry it on for two years when many other players dive or whinges to umps is a piss poor excuse.

"Im going to keep booing cos its a free country and i can do what i want" ---- nah youre a child that needs a new hobby.

" I WRITE IN CAPS THAT IM NOT RACIST SO TAKE THAT" ---- Take that reclaim bandana off your head and sit down and shut the fk up.

" Lots of other players get boo'd... poor old Sammy Mitchell copped it for 2 weeks and he didnt cry and have a week off." ---- 2 weeks of booing for some underhanded s**t was prob deserved. Stfu.

" Im only booing cos he picked on the 13 year old girl." ----- Yeah that racist little s**t that thought she could get away with it? Turning it onto Goodes just shows youre a dumb campaigner.

This thread could go a million pages and never find consensus. It is pointless now. I agreed I will not boo Goodes unless his behaviour in a game warrants it, and then only til the final siren goes, like most do with all who commit dirty acts on field. I hope others will do the same, but have no reason why every single person boos, so have no right to ask that.
On the other hand anyone who dares label me a racist if I boo Goodes for hitting someone behind play, staging for free kicks, whatever he did in future to warrant my boos should have a serious look at themselves.
I think that is the best most can do.

At the end of his career though, like every great player, he will get the applause he deserves for a great career.

Enough is enough. This has got to stop. Whether it is or isn't racist booing is irrelevant. It is being perceived as such and therefore indirectly is. I think Goodes is a scumbag of an afl player and protected specie, attention seeker just as much as anyone else. But this is damaging our game. And also it is threatening to be the think Goodes will be remembered for. How will history judge the afl fans of today?

Also I cant stand the Sydney posters all high and mighty and superior with their morally clean hands. Get your head outta your ass.

"The players have also resolved that anyone who continues to boo the dual Brownlow medallist should be branded racist."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...for-goodes-20150729-gin8xy.html#ixzz3hHlBAcoQ

What utter horse s**t. Boo player = must be racist. That is some stuffed up logic right there. I've seen white players get booed too. Does that mean that those who boo them are doing so out of racial motivations? Please.

Just to clarify Grizz, and if I may ask.

you agree or disagree with the afl & the Swans take that if you boo Goodes you are racist?

I agree its time for people to ease of Goodes, but not this way by coercion and threats.

My view is this: I hate it. Deplore it. it makes me sad.

We have a great champion of the game. A guy who has done a huge amount off the field too.

And sure, I have found plenty of reason to dislike him in the past: his swagger, his staging, the perception he's looked after, the sense of entitlement. All of that. And those are all qualities plenty of great players had. Wayne Carey. Particularly, my favourite player Dermie. And there were plenty of these players who were absolutely s**t blokes off the field. Villians. Genuinely horrible individuals.

But I have neever seen, in all my years of watching footy, a player booed with such ongoing intenesity, ferocity and from right across the AFL fanbase than I have with Goodes over the last year or so (whatever it has been).

I struggle to see why. What's he done? Gone and shot lions in Zimbabwee then clubbed baby seals on the way back? But i suspect, it's become conditoned behaviour, almost viral in its application.

Here's a personal anecdote to explain:

I was at a game with my son -who's 11 - this year and the booing started. And he started to boo, like really booing, and I stopped him and asked him why - he said, because everyone else is. He had no idea why he was booing but he adopted, like with mob mentality, those emotional and not rational actions, of the mob. He just followed. I'm not saying everyone who boos is just the same, but I do think it is a significant contributing facor

And that's s**t. So, even without any other issues of race or whatever on top, I just find the notion of the prolonged expression of displeasure towards the guy to be way over the top and hurtful. Even for professional sports people!

In closing, 'cause this is my last post on the matter - apart from 'kill posts' - I boo Buddy. And I do that purely because I felt he burnt us badly with his treachery. He's a villain. And there's quite a few Hawthorn people who do - but secretly we still love the turncoat - but for me if it got anywhere remotely the Goodes thing I'd be questioning whether my motivations were being submerged by something else. You know, like the tide turning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back