Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So should West Coast crowd stop booing full stop? As we now agree it can affect people and elements are booing for bad reasons, should we not take the risk and stop booing all together just in case ?

I don't think we'll finish 2 & Sydney 3 (or 1 & Sydney 4 ) to ensure we play them here again, and the point might be moot if Goodes retires anyway. We boo anyone and everyone but until last Sunday I didn't have an issue with it. I don't think they should stop, nor do I do think it should stop, because it's one of the main ways a crowd likes to put off a set shot at goal, express disapproval of an alleged dirty act or unwarranted opposition free kick etc. If a player becomes mentally affected though and reconsidering his future in the game, and some of the indigenous community and others in Australia are critical and alleging racist undertones - it's time to stop for that player.

The club's statements may have been hyperbole, but they got the point across and clearly got people talking about the matter. Plus, the statement I daresay would have been fueled with emotion, so perhaps they exaggerated their claims a little. I agree with you, not everyone that has ever booed Goodes is a racist, but anyone who has done it since the Carlton game - heck, even the Collingwood game two years ago; has partaken in racist behaviour directly or indirectly. Does that make them a bad person? Not necessarily. It does make them a bad person and a racist if they elect to continue engaging in that behaviour now though.

Your point makes absolutely no sense. You're not engaging the behaviour by not booing him, it's simple as that. If you don't do anything about it, that does make you a bystander, but most people are, so all power to you.

Your comment does not relate to either mine or Suma Magic's quotes at all, but hey, you used a big word.
Your point makes no sense either. You can boo someone without it being racist, just because someone else is booing for a racist reason does not mean you are.

Yeah, you're right. I remembered it as a slide, and thats what Taylor called it in the replay, Brereton also called it a slide. Looking at it again it was more a Mitchell style corky, not at all how I remembered it.

It was more of a Matty Dellavedova knee buckler.

like i said to someone else. the dance is irrelevant. he might as well have done the macarena. but he could have celebrated with the 99% sydney fans at the game that day. instead he marches over the tiny pocket of carlton fans and has a bit of a go at them. now it wasn't much but with the public perception of him the way it was, what could he possibly expect other than hostility?

Say it's hostile, say whatever you want...

Do you think he possibly could have foreseen that he would be booed for the rest of his career?

Do you think Micky O would have thought he would be booed for the rest of his career after this? (Which everyone seemed to love at the time, might I add)

716225-994da910-51a6-11e3-b7b4-89041ea3763d.jpg

The club's statements may have been hyperbole, but they got the point across and clearly got people talking about the matter. Plus, the statement I daresay would have been fueled with emotion, so perhaps they exaggerated their claims a little. I agree with you, not everyone that has ever booed Goodes is a racist, but anyone who has done it since the Carlton game - heck, even the Collingwood game two years ago; has partaken in racist behaviour directly or indirectly. Does that make them a bad person? Not necessarily. It does make them a bad person and a racist if they elect to continue engaging in that behaviour now though.

Glad we can agree.

This is the quote by Goodes that I don't like:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...f-over-war-dance/story-fnpp4dl6-1227377043531

So basically what he's saying is that the war cry was aimed at the 'white' people in the crowd? Just a bizarre attitude to take. If the 'opposition' is the crowd, then surely they're within their right to get stuck into him when he plays?

Also the fact that Sydney were 50 points up at the time, against Carlton, probably the most average team of the past few decades didn't help. If it had happened after Goodes kicked a goal to put Sydney in front in a fierce contest (ala Mickey O and fat Daniel) then sure, go ahead. But all I can picture is Goodes premeditating it before the game, which is just ridiculous.

/rant, if you provoke the crowd, be prepared to cop it back. He should have retired last year, a shell of his former self, and i can't help but feel that he'll retire on the back of this controversy, and avoid Sydney having to push him out for the finals.
So because he won't do it to someone he identifies with, you vilify him?

The average IQ on this board is beginning to resemble that of you average moron.

I don't think we'll finish 2 & Sydney 3 (or 1 & Sydney 4 ) to ensure we play them here again, and the point might be moot if Goodes retires anyway. We boo anyone and everyone but until last Sunday I didn't have an issue with it. I don't think they should stop, nor do I do think it should stop, because it's one of the main ways a crowd likes to put off a set shot at goal, express disapproval of an alleged dirty act or unwarranted opposition free kick etc. If a player becomes mentally affected though and reconsidering his future in the game, and some of the indigenous community and others in Australia are critical and alleging racist undertones - it's time to stop for that player.

Fair call. But wouldn't it be safer to stop before it got to the stage where it had effected him? What about in 2 weeks when you play Hawthorn, Is Gibson fair game to Boo? He has done 2 dirty snipe acts this season? But what if the booing upsets him? Wouldn't it be better to stop before it stars then just in ncase?

Your point makes no sense either. You can boo someone without it being racist, just because someone else is booing for a racist reason does not mean you are.

No, but it means you are engaging in racist behaviour. Again, that doesn't necessarily make you a racist, but if you were to do it after the events of the past week it would, as you would know it's being perceived as racist.

Thank God we have people like Newman who have a backbone in the media and dont just buckle under at the knees by the constant insults of being racist by SJW's.

Are you serious? Or is this sarcasm?

To endorse a proven racist like Sam Newman?...... well reminds me of the old adage if you lie down with dogs you'll wake up with fleas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

umm excuse me i didnt do a bloody thing 200 years ago. Dont include me with the primitive murderers from 200 years ago thanks. I suppose you want me to do prison time for Schapelle Corby taking dope into Indonesia as well?
Not having a go at you, but did you know the last massacre to happen to my people was in the 1930s in Central Australia. My grandmother,s little sister & other family members were murdered by the local police man & a lynch mob on & around Conniston Station.

I personally blame the media and the AFL for things getting to this stage

Totally, media fan the flames by bringing racism into it, and the AFL were caught flat footed, then decided to drive a massive PR train into the burning building

Fair call. But wouldn't it be safer to stop before it got to the stage where it had effected him? What about in 2 weeks when you play Hawthorn, Is Gibson fair game to Boo? He has done 2 dirty snipe acts this season? But what if the booing upsets him? Wouldn't it be better to stop before it stars then just in ncase?

Why would we boo Josh Gibson? Hasn't done anything of note to previous West Coast players. If he snipes Jack Darling then he'll cop it - same for any other player. He might get it for the rest of the game depending on the severity of it. If he is shooting for goal (somehow), he'll get booed - same for any other player - but it won't be for the rest of the game. I don't think we've booed players that haven't had history with our club previously.

And I like to think after this whole debacle, that the West Coast fans by and large would tone it down anyway - certainly at lower levels than what Goodes copped on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back