Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is no longer about Goodes per-se....It's about the AFL'S indulgence of him & politics in our football arena....And now, in order to fix their own mess, they want to deny the fans their freedom of speech....Palpably absurd.

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to no one.

You seem to be missing a fundamental point....Sport is not a work-place for fans....Bullying laws do not extend to freedom of speech & the ability to protest what people see as injustices.

If the AFL so desires to grant special privileges to a player, then it is grossly negligent in thinking that special attention won't be returned in its stead.

Your supposed work-place laws hold no place in the terraces....The AFL needs to cease playing political football with our game.
You seem to be missing a fundamental point....Sport is not a work-place for fans....Bullying laws do not extend to freedom of speech & the ability to protest what people see as injustices.

If the AFL so desires to grant special privileges to a player, then it is grossly negligent in thinking that special attention won't be returned in its stead.

Your supposed work-place laws hold no place in the terraces....The AFL needs to cease playing political football with our game.
Look I am busy. What freedom of speech laws are you referring to? If in your workplace a visitor, which is what you are if you have a ticket, or a person with a contract, if you are a member (that's what supporters are in football games are legally) cannot bully an employee. The employer has a legal obligation to prevent the bullying. Goodes is an employee and the football ground is his workplace. The way the legal obligation on the employer would be done in a football ground would be to remove the bully or those who bully. That's why some people are talking about removing opposition supporters if the bullying continues. There is no special privilege here. How is the prevention of bullying and vilification an injustice? Those questions are rhetorical.

it hasn't been 'generally accepted' at all, and is very much in dispute. in fact there is a poll at the top of this page which says anything but 'generally accepted'. 30.8% at my last reading.

They do not care about the poll, the poll is an inconvenient truth.

They are not interested in the truth.

Realistically who can eject 5,000+ people, as I'm sure there will still be 5,000 people willing to stand up for their rights. But its still a telling gun to the publics head. Wonder how this will go.

Clear as day. Green light to thought police the citizenry in effect.

Mmmm!
Willing to stand up for their rights?

What?......................Who?

You've been brought up funny?

He knows and every aboriginal understands that if they put their head up too high they will get abused.

I and hundreds of others on here are just curious about why.

It seems so mean spirited to abuse a man who is trying to help a very downtrodden community.

I think if anyone puts their head up too high in our society they get hatred from sections of the public. It's not a racial thing.. except when you make it that.

You get further by winning people over, not by dividing. Anyway. With all respect. I feel our conversing is rather done at this point. If you wanna quote me in future all good. But I'll be not responsive.

Enjoy the thread.

the very word 'condemning' is just lip service for people who want to make themslebes feel good by inventing bad guys to blame the worlds problems on.

i bet people who condemn booing will be the same people complaing when new sensorship laws get passed etc etc.

they're social justice warriors when it suits them.
I am a social justice warrior for spelling. Do you want a hand?

However, as your statement of:
'i bet people who condemn booing will be the same people complaing when new sensorship laws get passed etc etc.' makes no sense, you will have to ask a social warrior for comprehension for help there.

Wow, you make make a statement as fact then when asked a simple question like where did the numbers come from you turn it around and play the victim card. Lets both move on.
And no idea where i'm " playing the victim "

Isn't that what all these people trying to justify their racist booing are doing ?

This is now all about freedom of speech being restricted. This is the new issue at play. Crowd.... Boo louder. DO NOT STAND FOR THIS.
We are a free nation!!!!!!!!

This is the first step to becoming a Communist nation. STOP IT NOW!!!

"The players encourage fans to report such behavior, as happened at Domain Stadium during the Swans clash against West Coast in round 17."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-31/captains-unite-enough-is-enough

There it is....

Booing of Adam will be now punishable by ejection at fan discretion under "vilification".

Draconian measures from on high, delivered/sanctioned by the captains.

Realistically who can eject 5,000+ people, as I'm sure there will still be 5,000 people willing to stand up for their rights. But its still a telling gun to the publics head. Wonder how this will go.

Clear as day. Green light to thought police the citizenry in effect.
Can see it already.
Booists to bring brixton handbags cranked to full volume with a tape of booing....so it isnt actually them doing the booing.
Anti-Booist Thought Police Nazi's throwing eggs and competing for Bestest Social Engineer in Stand award.

Already sold out.

Anarchy in the AFL !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. I do not consider myself exceptional at all. I am not above average. But when I was 13 I knew that calling a black man an ape was not ok. Making her out to be some innocent lamb is ridiculous. Adam Goodes as 100% right in the tone he took to a) point her out and not stand up for it, and b) accept her apology and put the focus on education rather than hatred.

The fact that some people make that episode out to be like some stain on his character just goes to prove how much more there is to be done with race relations in this country.

Which brings me to Dermott Berereton. He openly admitted racially abusing Chris Lewis and Nicky Winmar in 1991. Lewis said it was some of the most vile stuff he ever copped. It took Brereton 7 years to apologise and then he made the apology all about him by trying to justify it. He said he didn't know better, it was a different time, blah blah blah.....

This was Australia 1991 not Mississippi 1961!

In 1991 I certainly knew not to racially vilify an aboriginal man. I didn't do it in 1971 let alone 1991. Yet Brererton has the gall to suggest it was part of the game back then (1991). And now he lectures Goodes on how he should behave? I would have thought Brereton forfeited that right when he admitted to his previous racist past.

I feel sorry for the 13 year old girl because she clearly wasn't educated at the time she made her comment but I certainly don't blame the man who copped the racial slur for raising it when he did. After all - it's probably the thousandth time he's had to cop it.

Pretty sure all of this has gone beyond just booing at the footy. Whilst it did start out as that, it's gone well beyond that with the endless commentary in the media and all over social media. The amount of hatred, abuse and racism directed towards Adam Goodes is unprecedented in the history of the game. I could not possibly imagine the toll that would take.

I think I'm pretty tough but there's no way I could handle the overwhelming hatred 24/7 every single day. It's become quite shameful that people continue to justify their hatred towards a bloke they really don't know all too well.

He is like anyone in life - he has a choice, he can keep playing or he can stop playing. Most people live their lives in obscurity and comparative poverty. One distressing period at the end of Adam's career doesn't negate the fact that he has achieved more than a lot of people. If he did retire today, perspective tells us that he has still led a blessed life and finds himself in a blessed position.
It would be unwise to take too seriously everything you read on social media. Hopefully he is emotionally resilient enough to ignore it all because it will all soon be forgotten, overtaken by a new crisis.

And no idea where i'm " playing the victim "

Isn't that what all these people trying to justify their racist booing are doing ?

Their booing isnt racist.

See the poll above, most BOO because they dont like him for reason A B C D ...

Another who just ignores the evidence right in front of their eyes, another
who supports the lie, that if you boo Goodes you are racist.

One minute silence before Anzac Day matches??? How *****ing DARE the AFL tell me what to do. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

CLNNiZ2UMAAst5o.jpg:large

And there you have it. A clear message from the players that the booing of Goodes should stop. Given that the players are those who would be directly affected by Goodes' sniping, whinging, staging etc. and they are saying "stop the boos" then those persons saying they boo him for these reasons should also stop - after all those people are margially and indirectly affected by his sniping, whinging, staging etc.

What we would then be left with is that those people continuing to boo him are doing so for other reasons which I suspect are either his race or more likely his stance on racial issues.

Regards

S. Pete

Look I am busy. What freedom of speech laws are you referring to? If in your workplace a visitor, which is what you are if you have a ticket, or a person with a contract, if you are a member (that's what supporters are in football games are legally) cannot bully an employee. The employer has a legal obligation to prevent the bullying. Goodes is an employee and the football ground is his workplace. The way the legal obligation on the employer would be done in a football ground would be to remove the bully or those who bully. That's why some people are talking about removing opposition supporters if the bullying continues. There is no special privilege here. How is the prevention of bullying and vilification an injustice? Those questions are rhetorical.

Tell you what....Why don't we just remove the fans entirely....Problem solved!...Then Adam is free to act & say what he likes without impunity.

Or better yet, vet them as they come in through the gates to ensure they are all sympathetic to the cause that is 'Adam Goodes inc'!

No player is bigger than the game....Not EVEN Adam Goodes.

There is actually no right to freedom of speech in Australia, its an american thing, just saying.

Carry on.

This is now all about freedom of speech being restricted. This is the new issue at play. Crowd.... Boo louder. DO NOT STAND FOR THIS.
We are a free nation!!!!!!!!

This is the first step to becoming a Communist nation. STOP IT NOW!!!
Communist?

Someone said fascist earlier. so confusing.

This thread has gone beyond parody now.

Probably the second.

Next question? (I assume there is one, it sort of sounds like a stepping stone proposition)
Not really a stepping stone, just making the point that it's quite reasonable to not modify your behaviour based on claims of racism when it clearly isn't racist.

Their booing isnt racist.

See the poll above, most BOO because they dont like him for reason A B C D ...

Another who just ignores the evidence right in front of their eyes, another
who supports the lie, that if you boo Goodes you are racist.
Try to justify it all you want......

" Whatever helps ya sleep at night " and all that jazz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back