Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not racism.

People are too bloody scared to be racist these days. Hell, you can't even boo someone without being called a racist.

I highly doubt people are booing Goodes because of his skin colour.

How many other footballer's have taken leave from the game? Mitch Clark is the only other one that comes to mind. Goodes either has a mental illness or he is emotionally weak. That's why we boo him. Because he dives, is a dirty player, and when he is off the field it's all whinge whinge bloody whinge. Racism card this, poor me that.

Goodes has a white partner. Is paid well above the average Australian. Is well-respected and loved around his club. Had been named Australian of the year. Obviously Australia accepts him. Racism still exists in Australia and has a long way to go, but Goodes is in a position to mend a lot of issues. He needs to have thicker skin and instead of shying away and complaining, he needs to be a strong role model and set an example. This whole victim mentally isn't helping anyone.

Why is it OK for people:
To absolutely hate Essendon and all of their players, even those that are innocent?
To stick the boots into Colin Sylvia and other poor players?
For the media to chase Jack Riewoldt around after training and to slander his image?
The media bashing of Ablett Jnr, saying he is a weak captain?
BigFooty calling Milne a "tip rat"
Roughead is a "ranger"
Bigfooty hijacking McLachlan's wikipedia?

All this is fine, but booing one idiot (who happens to have dark skin) is the worst thing imaginable?

Football is a sport where we give each other shit. Go to the MCG this weekend and see how much flak the umpires and the opposition cop from the Collingwood cheer squad. It's part of the game and always will be.

Nelson Mandella was a man that brought a nation together and set an example i reckon of how reconciliation etc could be done.

Well if the players told me to stop putting aside money for my own causes to help fund the GO foundation, even though I vehemently dislike Adam Goodes character as a person, I should just be a good little citizen and do what the players say.

For the players have dominion over my choices in life? Makes perfect sense...

If people are swayed by captains telling us what to do when they weren't by the media beat up, they are the unlucky herd who are manipulated that easily.

Ditto

The fact is that some boo him because he is dirty (those people would have been booing him and other dirty players for years), some are booing him because they are sheep, some are booing him because of the way he has conducted for what he stands for on the field, and some are booing him because they are racists. It is as simple as that and it also needs to stop because it's an ugly look and I think the people who continue booing are morons.

Wow a Swans poster who does not support the view of his club, that being;

if you boo Adam Goodes you are a racist.

I agree with you, it needs to stop, lets get back to the footy.

And there you have it. A clear message from the players that the booing of Goodes should stop. Given that the players are those who would be directly affected by Goodes' sniping, whinging, staging etc. and they are saying "stop the boos" then those persons saying they boo him for these reasons should also stop - after all those people are margially and indirectly affected by his sniping, whinging, staging etc.

What we would then be left with is that those people continuing to boo him are doing so for other reasons which I suspect are either his race or more likely his stance on racial issues.

Regards

S. Pete

Well said Stumpy.

It's quite simple really. The amount of people on here, that despite being told that a person is not currently coping with things on the footy field due to the abnormal amount of racial slurs thrown over the fence AND the booing by an abnormal amount of people, which has continued for over a year now, that are still prepared to make his life a misery, is pretty much how I now see this country.

They put their rights to behave antisocially (like PIGS - apologies to pigs) above those of a person that is trying to improve the treatment of his people going forward.

I run a business & live in the Hawthorn area. Disgraceful what I am hearing!

I don't think he nominated himself for Australian of the Year - what should he have done, rejected it?

Also he didn't give that 13 y.o. girl a script and say "hey kiddo - can you shout this at me in the third quarter!".

Seriously - you think he instigated all this? Don't you think he would prefer it wasn't happening?

Regards

S. Pete
If hypothetically Tony Abbott played AFL and was the PM he would be booed as well. Is this racist or just against him bringing his own agenda into sport where before him there was no racism.

Imagine if a white player had of pointed out a 13 y.o black girl from the crowd, and had her ejected, for calling him a convict.

Imagine if it had been a 25 year old woman, or a 35 year old man? Can you tell me at what age/gender profile it would have been approriate for Goodes to behave the way he did?

Regards

S. Pete

it hasn't been 'generally accepted' at all, and is very much in dispute. in fact there is a poll at the top of this page which says anything but 'generally accepted'. 30.8% at my last reading.
Sorry mate, you're arguing that only 30.8% think the booing is racist in the poll. My statement referred to the fact that most reasonable people who have commented on this thread have agreed that some of those booing do so for racial reasons.

Imagine if it had been a 25 year old woman, or a 35 year old man? Can you tell me at what age/gender profile it would have been approriate for Goodes to behave the way he did?

Regards

S. Pete
OK, imagine a white player had a 25 yo black woman ejected then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you claim to have an absolute comparison to the extent of booing then?
I assume the '1 away' was the Eagles game

Easy - I don't claim to be an absolute authority ...just an expansion of the sample size.

Do you agree with the concept of free speech?
Do you agree with the promotion of racist abuse?

We can play stupid games like that all day. It doesn't achieve anything.

The fact is the majority of people booing him are not doing it for racist reasons. A very small minority are booing him because they don't like him as an aboriginal man. However, when the rest of the people boo him, they are giving the racist people the go ahead to be racist at the footy. They are siding with the racists and going "Yeah go on, he's a flog anyway". It's that green light for the ****wits to be racist that means that although your booing may be for innocent reasons, you need to stop it when it comes to Adam Goodes.

Regards

S. Pete

tumblr_m2wkp897rY1rprxkro1_500.gif

Pete KILLIN it ATM

get around him.

There have been a number on here, mods took their stuff down.

Also, are racists always aware they are racist. I have met so many people who do the "I've nothing against Asians, but..." thing it's not funny.

Or a ninja edit in one posters case.

Sorry mate, you're arguing that only 30.8% think the booing is racist in the poll. My statement referred to the fact that most reasonable people who have commented on this thread have agreed that some of those booing do so for racial reasons.

Agreed Bung.

Bung, just to be clear, given the above bolded highlight.

Do you support the lie that anyone who boos Adam Goodes is racist?

It was part of the game back then. It was made not part of the game in 1995 when Michael Long made his stand.

What Brererton did? Are you fricken serious? That was never "part of the game."

As a North Melbourne supporter who was around during the era of the Krakouers the unrelenting vile disgusting shit dished up by Brereton was never part of the way North Melbourne played or Essendon or Geelong or most other clubs.....

Brerreton made a conscious decision to introduce it into the game in 1991. Notwithstanding he probably wasn't the only one, but very few players resorted to that level of vilification. Had he resorted to that stuff today he would have ended up in court.

The only reason he apologised was after Michael Long and Nicky Winmar took their stand and even then they copped abuse for what they did. Just as Adam Goodes is copping today.

This is a good point. The other people booing are annoyed/upset/angered they are accused of being racist when they are booing for other non race related reasons.
Yep, I agree that not everyone booing is racially motivated. Most are just bandwagoners who might dislike Goodes and jumped on the novelty effect. Unfortunately this just adds weight to the actions of the bad eggs.

No...just marched out in front of the crowd and the entire viewing audience to be replayed over and over again and then further humiliated in the next days and the following weeks media.
I think, although not literally, metaphorically that's exactly what happened.

And you agree with what transpired and see nothing wrong with it
How would you have had Goodes handle that situation?

(I am near certain this is the exact same discussion you evaded for most of yesterday)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back