Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah - In the future - No club will allow itself to choose from eight coaches - What if we lured Clarkson ? he's not accredited.
Read the article. All people who have already coached AFL sides will be given the accreditation. And it was written earlier in the year. The future is now.

McCartney knows how to pick and develop a young player - He knows fk all about coaching however. Assistant only please.

What? Only reason he's gone is that poor little Ryan Griffen pissed in his pants when to take on more responsibility. Minson sooked and look at him now, struggling to get a game.

What? Only reason he's gone is that poor little Ryan Griffen pissed in his pants when to take on more responsibility. Minson sooked and look at him now, struggling to get a game.

I beg to differ. He was sacked because no one wanted him there and his coaching techniques alienated more than just two on the playing list.
Is a sad day when your coach turns the playing list against him.

McCartney as player development.
Egan backline coach.
Bassett as forward line coach.
Mark Harvey as midfield coach.
Sanderson/Worsfold/S. Lloyd/Dew/Caracella as head coach.

Matthew Lloyd to assist our forwards with goal kicking.

Somebody for the love of god, please get Martin Gleeson in the gymnasium?

Sanderson would be my choice of ex-coaches.
I felt he was incredibly unlucky at Adelaide, he's enthusiastic, positive, energetic, has a modern game plan. He'd be a very hungry coach too, considering what happened to him.

McCartney as player development.
Egan backline coach.
Bassett as forward line coach.
Mark Harvey as midfield coach.
Sanderson/Worsfold/S. Lloyd/Dew/Caracella as head coach.

Matthew Lloyd to assist our forwards with goal kicking.

Somebody for the love of god, please get Martin Gleeson in the gymnasium?
Bassett is apparently gone (good riddance) and I'm not a fan of Harvs right now. Also getting rid of Neeld when he's been our only coach earning his paycheque this year is stupid. I'd go:

Egan defence
??? forward
??? midfield
Neeld player development
Corrigan reserves
Sanderson/Dew head

I don't care who the midfield or forward line coaches are, but I'd prefer the midfield coach to come from the Ross Lyon line and the forward coach from the Clarkson line.
I felt he was incredibly unlucky at Adelaide, he's enthusiastic, positive, energetic, has a modern game plan. He'd be a very hungry coach too, considering what happened to him.
My biggest thing with him is that he ran a very efficient forward line at Adelaide.

Knowing how much pressure will be on the new coach from all angles of the media, I think there are some merits in someone like Worsfold. I think there are few that would cope with the scrutiny as well as he would.

Would all depend on whether he still has the desire, but he is a competitive beast when he is up and running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knowing how much pressure will be on the new coach from all angles of the media, I think there are some merits in someone like Worsfold. I think there are few that would cope with the scrutiny as well as he would.

Would all depend on whether he still has the desire, but he is a competitive beast when he is up and running.

I would be all for an attacks on the media like the one of Brad Hardie. It was funny stuff, something along the lines of "Brad, you've never been involved in a premiership [insert personal remark about selfishness I think it was]. I've been involved in three so heck off because I know what I'm doing."

1. Has the required experience for a club in our position.
2. Is reportedly one of the best blokes in the industry - his offer to stand in for Adelaide in their time of need also demonstrates this. Ideally this would mean creating strong working relationships with the players.
3. Was a hard-nosed player and competitive mongrel, which is the signature characteristic of most successful coaches.
4. Has been involved in Premiership success as both player and coach.
5. Has shown that he can re-build a side
6. Is a non-essendon person, which is what the club needs
7. Has been strongly endorsed by significant people
8. Played an attractive brand of football as coach

Big question mark is whether he still as the desire. If not, all of the above is irrelevant anyway.

So who is left at Hawthorn that our coaching subcommittee can rubber stamp following its extensive selection process?

RATTTTTSSSSSSSSSS

5. Has shown that he can re-build a side

It's the rebuild following the post 2006/drug scandal collapse that is the most impressive aspect of his coaching. He left West Coast in a position of real strength.

I also recall interviews in 2007 or 2008 in which he was talking about the difficulty experienced trying to coach a team in the face of scandal where most of the time was spent in non-football related meetings.

It feels like he has already been through what we will be going through in 2016 (particularly if in the extremely unlikely event CAS overturns the tribunal's ruling).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back