Traded #42: Massimoe D'Ambrosioe - Thank you for your service

Remove this Banner Ad

Defended the same way he always has and we left him alone on the outside a lot which is why I tipped he would have a lot of the footy.
Double edged sword.

Can't have blokes in the backline that can't defend. It's why we moved Martin back.
Based on today Martin played half back and ran forward a lot but had no defense . Mass played wing and hung around the back half playing a loose distributor / intercept type role. Maybe they need Martin to do the same. No doubt Mass can play and can burn sides by foot but I am not sure how sustainable that will be for the Hawks either. Will be good for super coach.

You can get quarterly stats on the AFL app
I need a bigger phone to read the stats or better eyes :p
From HS / Champion data.
Tstatas 5/7
D'Ambrosio 11/7

Hawks did a good job giving him a role to maximize his one wood. Think I mentioned to a Hawks fan here that if you are not worried about defending then he will run around and get 30 odd touches and they got the role right by sacrificing his wing to allow him to loiter around half back and win the footy which he is good at. I suppose it come down to how much you value defense v precise ball use and if you have the stock to cover the down turn in defensive output.

We aren't good enough to give away AFL standard players for nothing. 20 year old kid has deficiencies defending, but has good (potentially elite) qualities with ball in hand, could've done more to try and keep him. Anyway, it's done now, good luck at the Hawkes Mass.
It is a double edged sword . Mass can play if he does not have to defend but I am not sure he is right for the Hawks either. Yes he adds great offensive value but for sides like us and them you need to have enough team first players and leaders on the field to allow them to just play one way. For example I think he would fit a side like St.Kilda better as they have enough defensive structure that his creativity far out weighs every thing else.
In a lot of ways he is the guy we need once we sort out our team defense and have stronger leadership.
Nothing has changed with him. His reaction time to transition to defense was the same. The Hawks just came up with a plan that allowed him to play loose at half back and sacrificed the wing and half forward spot at times. It was like watching him at under 18 level again.
We are not good enough to play too many blokes who can not defend either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd be better if he was still with us.

Massimo back, Martin and Duursma wings.

Edit: And even if we wouldn't play all 3 in our ultimate best 22, we're currently playing Nick Hind. Mass would've been playing in front of him.

Last edited:

Edit: And even if we wouldn't play all 3 in our ultimate best 22, we're currently playing Nick Hind. Mass would've been playing in front of him.

Yep agreed, was more just posting about champion data ratings being absolute bullshit

Letting a 20 year old who has shown a bit at AFL level go essentially because you’re dicking him around on a contract is a cardinal sin for a club that is no good and still firmly in the ‘accumulate as much talent as possible as quickly as possible and work it out from there’ phase of a rebuild.

All power to him, but it wouldn’t have been hard at all to keep him around.

Letting a 20 year old who has shown a bit at AFL level go essentially because you’re dicking him around on a contract is a cardinal sin for a club that is no good and still firmly in the ‘accumulate as much talent as possible as quickly as possible and work it out from there’ phase of a rebuild.

All power to him, but it wouldn’t have been hard at all to keep him around.
Pretty much.

And before anyone rushes in with "but we offered him a deal."

Sure, but as Zach says it wouldn't have been hard to increase the offer enough for him to stay.

Pretty much.

And before anyone rushes in with "but we offered him a deal."

Sure, but as Zach says it wouldn't have been hard to increase the offer enough for him to stay.

Was it 1 year v 2 in the end?

A pittance.

Wasn’t the issue that he had a problem executing what the coaches were telling him?
Yes they wanted him to be more accountable defensively and he doesn't seem to be able to do it.

Which I think is fine in isolation except we have now moved a player who is entirely unaccountable defensively into the backline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back