Delisted #38: Rhett Montgomerie - Not offered a contract for 2024 - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering it is a position were flush in, does the club also go in with long term planning of developing him in a professional environment playing the odd game as depth and turn him into a trade for 2nd round pick?

Personally, I think that is good use of the most limited resource a footy club has, draft picks.

Also, why spending money on fitness and development staff can reap huge rewards. If we upgrade late picks and rookies into someone with a trade value equal to 1st or 2nd round pick either they slot into the best 22 or we get something back at a greater value than we spent to get them.
Only 22. If hes any good club will want to keep him for as long as possible

And is he going to be able to rebound?

For me back 7 should be Zerk, Ridley, Laverde, Cox, Redman, Mcgrath and Hind

If he can rebound then along with Massimo puts pressure on Hind who is getting on in age anyway. Cox some see as better having the year as a key tall in the VFL and from memory Ridley/Redman barely missed a game last year

Ideally 2024-26 our back 7 is Zerk, Reid, Ridley, Redman, Cox, Mcgrath, Massimo but Mongomerie is first one off the cab as injury cover for about 3-4 of those guys

Considering it is a position were flush in, does the club also go in with long term planning of developing him in a professional environment playing the odd game as depth and turn him into a trade for 2nd round pick?

Personally, I think that is good use of the most limited resource a footy club has, draft picks.

Also, why spending money on fitness and development staff can reap huge rewards. If we upgrade late picks and rookies into someone with a trade value equal to 1st or 2nd round pick either they slot into the best 22 or we get something back at a greater value than we spent to get them.
You’re imagining having a list with 30+ genuine best 22 players. Wouldn’t that be luxurious. We have had about 18 most years and have used odds and sods to pick a team each week.

If we get to a position where we can happily trade Montgomerie for a 2nd and not lose sleep we’re probably going deep in finals.

You’re imagining having a list with 30+ genuine best 22 players. Wouldn’t that be luxurious. We have had about 18 most years and have used odds and sods to pick a team each week.

If we get to a position where we can happily trade Montgomerie for a 2nd and not lose sleep we’re probably going deep in finals.

The odds and sods is playing players out of position because we have a lot of one position and not enough of another. The point is trading excess from one position to improve weaknesses where we don't have enough. Also, if we're not playing finals next year and pushing deeper the following year something is wrong with the rebuild. Having to replace Stringer, 2MP and Merret before we have a core of players who have played and won a final will set us back years.

Would be exciting change for us to be taking big marks around the ground instead of just the opposition

I picture him as Jeremy Howe. I’m sure he isn’t as complete a player though. It took Jeremy Howe a while to become as well rounded as he is now.

VFL player review

Rhett Montgomerie​

22 disposals, 16 kicks, 11 marks

"Montgomerie beat his man one on one and defended really strong in the air. When he had the chance he helped our attack with good running patterns and ball use."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12 marks in the VFL on a less than dry day, no one else took more than 6 on the ground.

I’m not sure where you fit him into the backline in the seniors but he’s certainly started at a higher level than I thought he would.

12 marks in the VFL on a less than dry day, no one else took more than 6 on the ground.

I’m not sure where you fit him into the backline in the seniors but he’s certainly started at a higher level than I thought he would.
The 3rd or 4th tall defender / interceptor. If ridley or laverde go down he’ll get his chance.

Less than dry ? It was a sunny day with a little breeze and the surface was a touch soft under footy by not wet.

Less than dry ? It was a sunny day with a little breeze and the surface was a touch soft under footy by not wet.

Drizzled where I was yesterday not too far away, my mistake

Those Jeremy Howe comparisons weren't wrong, just effortlessly floats over the top of players and packs with a great set of hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back