Retired #45: Anthony Munkara - Leaving the club, returning to Tiwi - 7/9

Remove this Banner Ad

who cares.....enough with drafting "project" players! Only bring in players that firstly have the ability to play at a high level and secondly want to do the work required to be proffessional. These are the 2 non-negotiables

who cares.....enough with drafting "project" players! Only bring in players that firstly have the ability to play at a high level and secondly want to do the work required to be proffessional. These are the 2 non-negotiables

The Category B list is meant for project players. One’s that come from other sports with good athleticism and work ethic but no football skills, or with great football skills and talent but no real professional background or exposure.

Complaining about Cat B rookies being project players is silly, since that’s exactly what the Cat B list is intended to be.

agreed, they should explore the pathway that gives him another 12 months

Player might not have wanted to?

I'd like to hope this doesn't frighten anyone off these types of players.

Player might not have wanted to?

I'd like to hope this doesn't frighten anyone off these types of players.
I just cant help shake the feeling that the club ****ed it up, and if he was at any other club he may have, I dont know, developed and learnt a bit?

I just cant help shake the feeling that the club ****ed it up, and if he was at any other club he may have, I dont know, developed and learnt a bit?

Oh yeah that feeling is definitely understandable, I had it too.

I'm just hoping like hell it wasn't that.

I would be disappointed if Munkara was anything other than cat B. I feel less bothered just by that alone.

This thread illustrates how misunderstood the Cat B list is.

Poor take.

Fans are right to be questioning why we’ve given up on him so early. There may well be a good reason, which is fine - but you could argue across the whole season Munkara improved more than McBride did across four years.

A bit arrogant to just say people misunderstand the Cat B list.

I think there might be something more to this. He’s nowhere near AFL standard right now, but if he continued on the trajectory he was on you’d think he’d be close to ready to go by year 3 or 4.

Poor take.

Fans are right to be questioning why we’ve given up on him so early. There may well be a good reason, which is fine - but you could argue across the whole season Munkara improved more than McBride did across four years.

I think there might be something more to this. He’s nowhere near AFL standard right now, but if he continued on the trajectory he was on you’d think he’d be close to ready to go by year 3 or 4.

Major difference between Munkara and McBride however was that McBride was not afraid of his own shadow.

I did not watch all VFL games but I watched about half. Munkara did some sublime things at times but too often he just refused to go anywhere near a contest.

Poor take.

You have to want to go near the ball. His form carried on from what he dished up for most of last season . He is soft and does not like body contact and a non competitor. Seriously his trajectory was very small and he showed no signs of all at wanting to put in the effort over four quarters. The only area he got better in was a 5 minute cameo in between long periods of not even running to be in position and continually allowing his opponent to run the other way without any effort to chase. There was not trajectory . You have to actually want it. He did not. We grabbed him to see if we could get him to make something out of the obvious X factor but he did not improve on anything he was doing last season which is why no one went near him in the draft. There is nothing more to it. He is a non competitor.
He did not improve more than McBride.

Honestly, it's not fair to McBride to drag him into this comparison. McBride has seemed nothing less than fully committed to being on the list and toughed it out for 4 years including through Covid. Munkara gave it a crack but obviously there has been a concession that he did not want to make that commitment any further. That's okay, because it is a difficult lifestyle that's not for everyone, but that's why he had one year and McBride had four.

You have to want to go near the ball. His form carried on from what he dished up for most of last season . He is soft and does not like body contact and a non competitor. Seriously his trajectory was very small and he showed no signs of all at wanting to put in the effort over four quarters. The only area he got better in was a 5 minute cameo in between long periods of not even running to be in position and continually allowing his opponent to run the other way without any effort to chase. There was not trajectory . You have to actually want it. He did not. We grabbed him to see if we could get him to make something out of the obvious X factor but he did not improve on anything he was doing last season which is why no one went near him in the draft. There is nothing more to it. He is a non competitor.

I still think there’s more to it. He’s literally still 18.

You have some points, and I agree he wasn’t great this year - but I absolutely disagree with your last statement - he improved far more than McBride. Munkara was barely VFL level start of the year. He finished the year a VFL standard forward. McBride showed flashes year 1/2 and looked a step below the level this year (4). He regressed every year.

Major difference between Munkara and McBride however was that McBride was not afraid of his own shadow.

I did not watch all VFL games but I watched about half. Munkara did some sublime things at times but too often he just refused to go anywhere near a contest.

McBride is 4 years older though.

And while he’s not afraid of his own shadow, he is afraid of the shadow of the Sherrin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then we wasted all of our time, incompetence from the start. Did anyone really expect him to come in and become some aggressive Dustin Martin superstar in 12 months?

Anyone with half a brain knew he needed 24-36 months minimum to show any signs of an AFL footballer.

I still think there’s more to it. He’s literally still 18.

You have some points, and I agree he wasn’t great this year - but I absolutely disagree with your last statement - he improved far more than McBride. Munkara was barely VFL level start of the year. He finished the year a VFL standard forward. McBride showed flashes year 1/2 and looked a step below the level this year (4). He regressed every year.
McBride had a better year than Munkara. You really need to get to some VFL games and have a close look. Munkara basically squibbed multiple contests every week. He was not VFL standard. Not even close. Getting on the outside and kicking a couple of goals in a few games does not make you VFL standard.
McBride basically stayed on the same trajectory. He was an okay VFL defender that did not take the next step. He did not squib it like Munkara did multiple times every game.
I absolutely disagree with everything you have said. McBride could carve himself out a decent VFL career as an okay defender which he had to do under massive pressure most weeks. Munkara just did not want body contact and was not interested in going near the ball. Saw it last year. Saw it again this year. He would be the softest player I have seen on an AFL list.

Then we wasted all of our time, incompetence from the start. Did anyone really expect him to come in and become some aggressive Dustin Martin superstar in 12 months?

Anyone with half a brain knew he needed 24-36 months minimum to show any signs of an AFL footballer.
Well that is why you rookie blokes. You have a look and move them on. Anyone with half a brain knows that. That is wht rookies over all clubs have a very low percentage of making it.

you are putting all the blame on Munkara and nothing on the club. we failed to get anything out of him

McBride had a better year than Munkara. You really need to get to some VFL games and have a close look. Munkara basically squibbed multiple contests every week. He was not VFL standard. Not even close. Getting on the outside and kicking a couple of goals in a few games does not make you VFL standard.
McBride basically stayed on the same trajectory. He was an okay VFL defender that did not take the next step. He did not squib it like Munkara did multiple times every game.
I absolutely disagree with everything you have said. McBride could carve himself out a decent VFL career as an okay defender which he had to do under massive pressure most weeks. Munkara just did not want body contact and was not interested in going near the ball. Saw it last year. Saw it again this year. He would be the softest player I have seen on an AFL list.

You can disagree with everything I’ve said, that’s fine. You also don’t need to drop the ‘you need to get to some games’ line. We can disagree without that. I could say that you agreeing with every decision the club makes is clearly wrong, as we haven’t won a final in nearly 20 years.

McBride was dead set ordinary this year - I recall him having maybe two games where he impacted. The rest, he wouldn’t have been missed if he wasn’t out there.

Wouldn't make sense to give such a talented but raw project only 10 months in a club environment and then give up on him. I assumed his call to go tiwi and keep playing with tippa but if he was keen to stay in Melbourne and this actually is the clubs decision to delist him its really bad imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back