Delisted #38: Rhett Montgomerie - Not offered a contract for 2024 - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Had an opportunity to play him when he was in red hot form and Ridley first went down.

Scott didn't trust him so didn't bother. Good to see where starting this train early
Could've played in Heppell's place at any point during the season and been more effective.

But alas, we move on. Just another 'what might have been' if given an opportunity.

What was the point
Serious question . What is the difference between picking a 22 year old player who is ready to go body wise and punting on him taking the next step compared to picking an 18 year old who has been passed over multiple times in the draft and has not got the body ready to go ? It is the rookie list. You take a punt. 18 or 22 . What does it matter. 70% of rookie picks fail. That is why they are rookies.:)

Greetings from the North board - I come in peace, believe it or not.

Just curious about why y'all think Rhett got cut so quickly?

I have a connection itk to him - and I've been told his delisting absolutely blindsided the senior players. Supported the Bombers as a kid, and didn't get a chance at senior level at all.

I have a connection itk to him - and I've been told his delisting absolutely blindsided the senior players. Supported the Bombers as a kid, and didn't get a chance at senior level at all.
He was pretty good in the VFL. Can only think it is because we have too many that will be playing defense. Heppell staying for another year did not help . Also have a few academy kids who may be rookie prospects. A bit unlucky. Thought he played well enough to be given a chance.

Would of thought you would keep Rhett as depth if nothing else. I know someone has to get delisted, but seemed capable.

Serious question . What is the difference between picking a 22 year old player who is ready to go body wise and punting on him taking the next step compared to picking an 18 year old who has been passed over multiple times in the draft and has not got the body ready to go ? It is the rookie list. You take a punt. 18 or 22 . What does it matter. 70% of rookie picks fail. That is why they are rookies.:)
Isn't the idea of a rookie list is a long shot, subjective type?

Thats what I believe other clubs do, not us.

The higher upside types, the ones with an elite trait, the one who you can hopefully develop other tools around. These usually come in the form of kids, we seem to do this with mature agers.

we are changing direction and we are getting rid of anyone that supported the bombers as a kid, went to a private school or doesn’t have tattoos

Isn't the idea of a rookie list is a long shot, subjective type?

Thats what I believe other clubs do, not us.

The higher upside types, the ones with an elite trait, the one who you can hopefully develop other tools around. These usually come in the form of kids, we seem to do this with mature agers.
What does it matter ? 22 or 18 . They are still subjective types. Other clubs do a lot worse with rookies than us. There are a few that have found top end players but by the percentages we are not worse than most. Sydney and Geelong have some real gems. Adelaide a few that ended up at other clubs. A couple of the Geelong gems have been 21 plus. In recent times we have had Walla / Draper / McKenna and Martin was pretty much a rookie selection. If you really dig into it we are not the nest but are far from the worst.
Historically we have had Hocking / Lovett Murray / Lovett / Peverill / Bellchambers (PSD) / Howlett / Crameri / Jnekins / (Hibberd (PSD) / Bagualey / Ambrose . No stars be a solid haul for rookies.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you come in as a very late selection, mature age and don’t play a single game all season… you really shouldn’t be ‘blindsided’ by not getting extended. It’s a competitive environment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back