2015 MUSIC

Remove this Banner Ad

The only one of those post-punk revival bands in the mid to late 00s that didn't overstay their welcome was The National.
True. I don't mind a revival sound, but adding something worthy is important. The Editors and White Lies sort of stuff was so Joy Division lite that you would giggle at first thinking it was a send up.....until you realised they were being serious.

I tend to think people expect too much from Yiannis and Foals. People act like and treat them/him like there's some real transcendent genius there, and then get disappointed when their releases fall short of that, but I think they/he are merely "good", and nothing more.
That is true but like a lot of people, I got into his music through The Edmund Fitzgerald and pre Antidotes Foals......It was really good. Like I read Gibbsy say somewhere, it has been a steady decline. It's true.

That is true but like a lot of people, I got into his music through The Edmund Fitzgerald and pre Antidotes Foals......It was really good. Like I read Gibbsy say somewhere, it has been a steady decline. It's true.

I don't know, I think I've just heard too many indie rock kids wax lyrical about the "genius" of Foals and Yiannis for too many years now, dating right back to the "Mathletics" days, and have just never quite seen it myself. It's like, yeah, they've made some nice tunes and have some fun, danceable stuff, but I don't think there's anything especially deep or mindblowing going on musically, nor is/was there really any great potential for there to be. Same goes for (slightly older) artists like The Rapture and LCD Soundsystem. I've only ever just seen them as fun "keep the party going" additions to an indie DJ's set deep on a Friday or Saturday night. Maybe I just don't quite "get" them, but I've never seen them as doing anything particularly special or revolutionary.

It's like, yeah, they've made some nice tunes and have some fun, danceable stuff, but I don't think there's anything especially deep or mindblowing going on musically, nor is/was there really any great potential for there to be.
Well, yeah...you are correct. There are far better underground artists that represent the genres with superior output. But it is a Australian Rules Football forum. It's like when your Grandma asks what music you like and answering with some obscure Dresdon minimalist techno producer.
At least Foals are common subject matter.

Well, yeah...you are correct. There are far better underground artists that represent the genres with superior output. But it is a Australian Rules Football forum. It's like when your Grandma asks what music you like and answering with some obscure Dresdon minimalist techno producer.

I can't remember what reviewer said it but in a yarn on their latest record, Foals were described as "the thinking man's Coldplay" (which is a wank descriptor) but it speaks to Yannis' goal that he wants to be the frontman of a huge arena rock band

I can't remember what reviewer said it but in a yarn on their latest record, Foals were described as "the thinking man's Coldplay" (which is a wank descriptor) but it speaks to Yannis' goal that he wants to be the frontman of a huge arena rock band
Interesting concept. There is still a part of me that thinks he is really genuine though.

I'm not saying people need to be into real obscure stuff. I couldn't give a flying f**k how "indie" or "underground" something is. If it sounds the business, it passes muster with me. I just think people read more into Foals' music than is there, that's all.

I'm not saying people need to be into real obscure stuff. I couldn't give a flying f**k how "indie" or "underground" something is. If it sounds the business, it passes muster with me. I just think people read more into Foals' music than is there, that's all.
Fair enough.

Martin from Real Estate. Pretty much what you'd expect.

I always thought The Edmund Fitzgerald were pretty pretentious. They were students though so unsurprising.

The thing about Foals is they were 19 and making songs like Mathletics, which were really good songs. It's not like the Wombats at 27 or those Australian bands like Ball Park Music who make teenage sounding stuff as their ambition or ceiling. Foals basically hated the idea of those dancier songs and were pressured to chuck them onto Antidotes. Even then, they had to make them something different and chuck those kind of superfluous horns on them. But they wrote stuff like Olympic Airways, Tron, Red Socks Pugie, Big Big Love, and it showed they were always keen to move up and on. Some of the b-sides from that era are really cool as well.

The frustrating thing is they had a few really good ideas back then that they should've taken the band in. That's why TLF is their best album and probably always will be – it was a perfect example of taking your sound in a new way. Black Gold, Total Life Forever, Miami and even the slower songs like 2 Trees have that funk and rhythm that was so cool on Antidotes.

And that's why the only good songs on these last two albums (My Number, Mountain at my Gates, Lonely Hunter, Albatross, Night Swimmers) take that same mentality. The rest seems a really weird choice. Rock music isn't very cool. They're only rock headliner by default really.

Don't understand the Foals hate. I thought Holy Fire was a great album. Nowhere near as good as TLF but that's a high benchmark. The new album is still really solid for me too.
I don't think there is any hate. Just making comparisons through the body of work.

I'm sure some people can't stand some stuff but love Holy Fire. The band has changed styles at a healthy pace but not everyone is going to like each direction. They don't want to write Antidotes esque albums everytime.

Do people remember Operater Please! Probably the worst band I have ever heard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there is any hate. Just making comparisons through the body of work.

I'm sure some people can't stand some stuff but love Holy Fire. The band has changed styles at a healthy pace but not everyone is going to like each direction. They don't want to write Antidotes esque albums everytime.

Yeah and you can't expect them to want to write the same songs each time.

They were so horrendous. Such a gimmicky band.

Interesting to read different people's thoughts on Foals. Antidotes had some huge tracks (Olympic Airways, Electric Bloom) but was a bit hit and miss at times. I really enjoyed their change of sound on TLF and it's my favourite of their albums purely due to it's consistency. Holy Fire in a similar vein to Antidotes had some great tracks but really trailed off towards the end.

2015. Music. This thread should do.

Anyone else find this weather in Melbourne perfect for music. Whether it be live or not I think some days in the first few weeks of spring add a lovely natural euphoria.

I just listened to the ping pong song. Far out. Even as a saccharine loving 15-year old I never dug that band. They always seemed like a boring Black Kids or a less sweet Go! Team. AKA totally terrible. I can't believe how amateur that guitar playing sounds as well, how did it ever get past demo stage? Bloody bizarre. Sometimes ramshackle riffs are charming, they make you think about the lyrics or whatever the song is supposed to be expressing, but that's just plain s**t guitar playing.

Always thought the violinist was cute, the singer an annoying and loudmouth bitch, the drummer about 13, and the story about the keyboardist giving it up to do pr0n... you can't write about that!

Still though, they probably played ten shows in London and got a few months worth of free piss and half-drunk-played gigs out of that shocking excuse for a band. We'd probably all take a little expedition down Triple J Lameway to ever have that.

2015. Music. This thread should do.

Anyone else find this weather in Melbourne perfect for music. Whether it be live or not I think some days in the first few weeks of spring add a lovely natural euphoria.
September's maybe my favourite month. Finals, shorts, girls showing off their brand new asos dresses. It's a sight to behold. Also, if you're Australian and have never given this little gem a sing in your head in early Spring, then I don't think you're an Australian.

(Some band called Circa Waves have apparently stolen this title too. Thieves)

Always thought the violinist was cute, the singer an annoying and loudmouth bitch, the drummer about 13,
Haha, perfect. If you added that the bass player was pompous and clearly wished he was playing in The Horrors I think that's the first thing most people thought when looking at the band.

Re Lucksmiths. Such a nice song.

New Deerhunter album has leaked. They've just put up this video for Breaker.

Very poppy, but not bad at all. Just not exactly what I think of when I think "Deerhunter".
Their sound has been getting 'cleaner' with each album. I know lots of people prefer their early EP's/albums but Monomania was actually my favourite release of theirs.

Their sound has been getting 'cleaner' with each album. I know lots of people prefer their early EP's/albums but Monomania was actually my favourite release of theirs.
If by 'cleaner' you mean 'dull' then I agree.

Not that dull is a bad thing. But I can hear that anyday. Their early stuff was much more interesting in my opinion.

If by 'cleaner' you mean 'dull' then I agree.

Not that dull is a bad thing. But I can hear that anyday. Their early stuff was much more interesting in my opinion.
I don't hear much that is similar to Monomania. Admittedly don't have time to explore a heap of new music. Try to catch up later.

Lots of bands seem to carry that around though - people want them to re-make their first couple of releases over and over again. What Regurgitator were singing about I guess

I don't hear much that is similar to Monomania. Admittedly don't have time to explore a heap of new music. Try to catch up later.

Lots of bands seem to carry that around though - people want them to re-make their first couple of releases over and over again. What Regurgitator were singing about I guess
Well said.

I know style change needs to happen and is more than likely. And I don't think they have turned into something like The Shins. I just prefer the earlier material. Not because it is early, but because of the style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back