Über

Remove this Banner Ad

To become a Uber X driver do you have to have at least medium sized car? Because I know overseas you can drive really small cars with Uber x but here it seems they specify you need to have a medium sized car.

got up to 3.4 last night. I'm having to resort back to using filthy cabs again, i guess money still talks

Yeh demand is starting to outweigh supply, however I got no surge pricing on Saturday night after Smith Street Band @ the corner (swan street) to The Imperial (corner bourke/spring) for like $7.50 when cabs were literally impossible to come across. Took 3 minutes to come, called me and had water and mints in the car.

The surge is fair enough IMO. I havent had a price surge make it substantially more than a cab yet and the experience is still vastly superior. 1.5-2.0 is about what a cab will cost you late at night.
3.4 surge is not fair enough IMO (fair enough that it is their business model and thats what they want to do - but I won't use it at that high).

Cab home for me is around $60.

3.4 surge takes it to $200~

3.4 surge is not fair enough IMO (fair enough that it is their business model and thats what they want to do - but I won't use it at that high).

Cab home for me is around $60.

3.4 surge takes it to $200~

Jesus... Where do you live.

Its an on demand service. My trip home from the city in a cab is $25-$30 (after flagfall etc) it would be equivalent to 2.0 surge on Uber (give or take a few bucks). I would happily use it over a cab up to 3.0. Would be dependent on my desire levels to get home after that.

UberSafety.jpg

So given this, what exactly makes taxis "less safe"or "unsafe" in comparison to Uber as some claim, then?

Hasn't the argument always been that Uber is unsafe compared to taxis and not the other way round?

The driver rating system is a great idea, I don't know what taxi drivers are like in Adelaide but taxi drivers in Melbourne drive as though regular road rules don't apply to them.

Trip tracking, rating system etc. It's all in the graphic.

I'd say hard-wired car tracking would be much safer than phone tracking if (heaven forbid) a driver decided to attack a passenger, or visa versa. If the attacker were to smash your phone and turn off his, nobody would know where you are or what's happening/happened to you. At least with hard-wired car tracking and tamper-proof cameras, you're providing some way of finding out what may be going on or had gone on.

A rating system doesn't do that much really, and if you were really unhappy with something that went on in a taxi, I'd assume you'd care enough to either report it to the taxi company or the police (if relevant).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apple is taking over the world. Uber is not.
So??? If uber replaces even half the taxi industry and pays no taxes that's many millions of tax dollars lost, and you know the first things that will be cut are welfare or social work funds, hospital funds and public schools. Besides We aren't talking about bobs shop down the road, uber is already a massive international corporation.

Used Uber for the first time on Friday night. The guy popped out of no where in 2-3 minutes. Clean car, nice driver, arrived quickly. What usually costs me $80-$100 back to my area from the city cost me $36. I'm not complaining, going to use the service every time from now on.
No longer do I have to put up with those scattered morning train rides where I'm a zombie!!!!

Uber is a brilliant system, it has capitlised on a huge void within the taxi services. I'm more interested to see what the taxi industry will do now, if they do nothing they will be out of work within 2 years.

Uber is a brilliant system, it has capitlised on a huge void within the taxi services. I'm more interested to see what the taxi industry will do now, if they do nothing they will be out of work within 2 years.
Keep striking and sooking to the government who will eventually ban uber in Australia and we will all be forced to pay for shithouse service again. This country is so ****ed

It works well in many countries around the world.
Depends on your definition of 'well'. A lot of the problems with Uber centre around market and public transport impacts in the long-term, which no country has experienced yet.

If you suggested making the taxi industry completely unregulated, many Uber supporters would throw up their hands in horror - despite Uber essentially amounting to the same thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back