Luke Hodge - Hall of Fame Legend Status?

Is Luke Hodge worthy of Legend status in the Australian Football Hall of Fame?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's an interesting one.

Luke Hodge is a lock for the HOF. No question. However, is he worthy of Legend status? The ones people throw up from the current era are GAJ, Judd and maybe Goodes. Hodge could be the 4th.

4 time Premiership player
3 time Premiership captain
Captain of a threepeat
2 time Norm Smith Medallist
2 time Best and Fairest
3 time All Australian

Add to the above credits his renowned toughness at the ball (he can be a thug but he's still tough at the ball), his regular standing up at big moments and in big games, his respect industry wide as a captain and player. I think his individual achievements in terms of awards are actually unders given his ability. Is he worthy of Legend status?

My gut feel is no. I don't think his best is up there with GAJ, Judd and Goodes. But it's getting harder and harder to argue against it. He's an absolute gun.

Last edited:

Think you could argue legend status for many players in the past too, most of whom will never get it.

eg Michael Voss

Captain of a threepeat
Brownlow medalist
3 time club champion
5 times AA (twice as captain)

etc and tough as nails too.

If Hodge becomes a legend (of the HOF) then I think questions should be raised. He's been a gun, but I'd take someone like Voss, who I don't think will be a legend, over Hodge.

Michael Tuck might be justified in scratching his head a bit at that point. Hodge's main argument would be more individual accolades I guess.

If anything I think Sam Mitchell should be the one who goes into legend status after he retires.

4x Premiership player
Premiership Captain 2008
5x Hawthorn Best & Fairest Winner
2003 Rising Star Winner
2002 VFL Liston Trophy winner
3x All-Australian
2x Lou Richards Medal winner
204 career Brownlow medal votes (most by a Hawthorn player of all-time)
2x Runner up in the Brownlow

Hodge better than Judd so should be a legend if he is.

IMO though Mitchell is THE Hawks player of this era and should make it over Hodge as a legend.

Also I don't put much weight on AA selections. They are voted on by people with biased opinions and jealousy towards the clubs success. Much like many posters on here.

His best is up there, his skills by foot and hand are not equalled by many.
Yes he has a mean streak and hates losing but players have been put in with the same trademarks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anything I think Sam Mitchell should be the one who goes into legend status after he retires.

4x Premiership player
Premiership Captain 2008
2003 Rising Star Winner
3x All-Australian

If we salute again in 2016 then no serious football person could mount a sound argument against either of em.

Of course you would :rolleyes:
I'd take either of Mitchell or Voss into the legend status before Hodge, not that I think that those two will get it eventually. I personally think that for the highest section of the game, you could make arguments for all of them, but none of them should make it.

Absolutely. His personal accolades are impressive, yet to Captain a side to 3 consecutive premierships means you have what it takes to earn respect from your peers at the highest level. Hodge may be ahead of Judd & Ablett in terms of premiership success, but it's what you do in finals and grand finals that separates you. Ablett and Judd both chased money at clubs that weren't going to be in premiership contention, Hodge captained 3 in a row. The guy ranks alongside Voss as the best captain of the modern era.

4x Premiership player
Premiership Captain 2008
2003 Rising Star Winner
3x All-Australian
Mitchell is a legend of the game, ahead of Ablett IMO.

Not quite for mine. Two tests I'd have for legend status would be: would they be just as highly rated playing for any team, and have they ever been arguably the best player in the league. The latter is a definite no for Hodge and I suspect the former is also.

I do wonder how many current Hawks will become Hall of Famers...

Surely Hodge and Mitchell will. Maybe Roughead, Lewis, Burgoyne, Rioli?

As for legendary status, there should be a 20 year cooldown period before anybody can be elevated to that status. Hodge and Mitchell are the only possibilities in my mind but there are many better candidates still to be chosen first.

Also how many of Geelong's dynasty will be hall of famers? Ablett, Scarlett, Bartel, Enright should. Maybe Chapman, Johnson, Selwood?

Back