The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emre Can seems to be happy with the potential appointment of Klopp in an interview with a German newspaper.

“Jurgen Klopp is certainly a great coach, I think he has demonstrated in Dortmund that he can work at any team in the world.”

Played his whole senior career at Mainz. Striker from '89 to '94, defender from '95 to '01. 337 appearances. 52 goals. He's a Protestant Christian and not shy about it. He did his Sports Science diploma thesis on walking. Source: Wiki, because I haven't asked any German-speaking mates to translate.

What's klopps style / philosophy and how long do we give it before we see a change in the way we play..

2nd question what type of players do we see us chasing under klopp..

That's probably the most exciting bit for me as our transfer work in the last 5 years has been mostly very underwhelming with a few good ones in there

What's klopps style / philosophy and how long do we give it before we see a change in the way we play..

That's probably the most exciting bit for me as our transfer work in the last 5 years has been mostly very underwhelming with a few good ones in there

Think 13/14 and that's pretty similar to how that is, except Klopp's pressing system is far more systematic and relentless, with probably less of a possession game. I dunno how long it'd take, loads of factors are involved, could take a short while, could take a season. He probably needs a pre-season to build the fitness levels up, which he puts huge emphasis on.

We will not see limp wristed midfielders, Klopp loves a destroyer like Bender in midfield and a deep playmaker like a Sahin or Gundogan. Similar to the sorta midfield Rafa used to want with Masch/Momo and Xabi and so forth. It's a big physical midfield with loads of legs and passing. Upfront Sturridge would be his Lewandowski (they're pretty similar players anyhow), you'd expect a no.10 in most games and a 2nd striker in others. He'd like a bit of pace out wide so I expect Markovic to come back next season and get a go. 4-2-3-1 will be his preferred go (which I think suits this squad), but there will be games where he goes two upfront and others where he'd go like 4-3-1-2

But I expect him to fix the midfield very first and foremost

I dunno, that's hard to say, but he'll know loads about Firmino and he would be his kind of player in that 10 role. I think he would mold Can into a more specific role in midfield as well. Moreno and Clyne would suit him very well, too, he likes his full backs going forward and doing loads of work both ways

Would be interesting to see what he does with both Coutinho and Firmino in the side. He got loads outta Gotze and Kagawa in the same side even though both liked no.10 the most. I think Coutinho could be played wide left under him

Don't be surprised if Benteke gets played upfront and he goes direct to him, his Dortmund side could go a bit hoofy if it demands it, and he has successes with it

But first and foremost, we'll be boss in the counterattack, he loves a quick counter

I can even see him give Lovren a chance, but every player under him should have a clean slate

Brendan Rodgers has issued the following statement via the League Managers Association after parting company with Liverpool FC.

He said: "I am, of course, incredibly disappointed to be leaving Liverpool Football Club. It has been both an honour and a privilege to manage one of the game’s great clubs for the last three years.

“I have worked every day to represent the club to the best of my ability, to develop both individual players and a team that the club’s magnificent fans can be proud of. There have been some very memorable moments during my time at Liverpool and I would like to thank all of the players for their hard work and commitment. The current squad is one in transition, but they have some real talent and are showing a strong sense of togetherness. I expect to see them continue to grow and develop over the coming weeks and I wish them and my successor well for the rest of the season.

“Liverpool has a magnificent football heritage and I have nothing but respect and admiration for the history, tradition and values that make the city and the club so exceptional. As well as my players, I would like to thank everyone connected with the club; Fenway Sports Group, the Liverpool directors, in particular Ian Ayre, my coaching staff, the staff throughout the club, the volunteers, the Academy staff and its young players and of course the amazing Liverpool fans for their unwavering support, passion and dedication which has made my time at the club so special.

“Finally, I would like to give a special mention to John W. Henry, Tom Werner and Mike Gordon. They gave me this great opportunity and even though we will no longer be working together I am sure our relationship and friendship will continue into the future.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happens a lot in the ammos. Best players with toe up front, as they age they go down back. Our BnF this year has won it as a striker and CB!

This manager business is ruthless.

may i ask who you play for? if you want PM me

im excited too! ill happily admit there is more spring to my step atm, and also daily losing of bowel control!!!

Have said loads about Klopp's good things, but in terms of shortcomings with his style. He wants the whole team to cover loads of miles (he puts a lot of the kms covered stat, always want his side to consistently cover more miles than the other team), attack as a team and everyone defending. But when blokes can't track back fast enough, you can see some pretty dodgy defensive shapes at times.

Even though even during his last season when they flopped, his side conceded the 2nd least amount of shots in the league, and his league winning side conceded 18 the whole season, which was the Bundesliga record. So his defensive setup works when it clicks. He likes a semi-high line, two mids in front and everyone pressing from the front.

Teams parking the bus posed a problem to him in his last season coz they couldn't counter like they want. Although Dortmund really finished like a dog's breakfast that season. Losing his best players probably didn't help the quality of play going forward either, but he did replace Lewandowski with Immobile

And the way he pushes his players, expect injuries

He is still 48 so his style will keep evolving, and he adapts well so I expect he would find solutions to those problems

With Klopp looking almost certain to take the Anfield hot seat, I thought it would be worth looking at the team he built at BVB and how they set up to get an idea for what he might try to implement at Liverpool.

------------Weidenfeller--------------
Pizcek-Subotic-Hummels-Schmelzer
---------Gundogan-Bender-----------
--Grosskreutz---Gotze----Reus------
------------Lewandowski-------------

His sides have typically played with an emphasis on pressing aggressively and high up the field, moving the ball swiftly into attack as soon as possession is recovered. As Cooldude said, it's very similar to the way we played in the 2nd half of the 2012/13 season and in 2013/14, though the set up is slightly different in terms of formation; Klopp preferring a 4-2-3-1 to Rodgers 4-3-3/diamond formation.

The attacking 3 (Gotze, Reus, Grosskreutz) took up more central positions, interchanging behind the striker (Lewandowski) while the fullbacks (Piszczek & Schmelzer) provided the width. Bender/Kehl played a more disciplined, defensive role in midfield while Gundogan/Sahin were given license to break the lines and link up play from midfield to attack.

Fortunately most of the current LFC team will be familiar with the high energy, aggressive, pressing, counter punching style of football that Klopp prefers. If he does end up taking the reins I think he'll be reasonably content with the options at his disposal, their ability to adopt his methods and execute that playing style. The key for this style is knowing the 'triggers' for when to press and when to drop, and most of our current group will have done a lot of work on that. I don't think we'll need to make wholesale changes to the squad to effectively play Klopp's style (although I'm sure he'll be given the license to make a few changes in January if he feels it is necessary).

As others have noted, he's a high profile name, and I'll be interested to see what impact that has on the sorts of players we will be able to attract in the transfer window. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw 1 or 2 German's coming in either which obviously can't be a bad thing. Hummels and/or Gundogan would be handy!

I'd say first and foremost, he'll fix up the Can out-of-position debacle and put him in midfield. :p

Well, I hope.

He turned Hummels from a midfielder to a centre back so anything is possible

But Can just screams a midfielder to me, I think there's most chance Jurg turns him box to box, he seems his kind of player in that position. Would be more interested in what he does with Henderson, I think he should make him play a deeper role

Oh yeah, he gets quite angry at the heat of the moment (the German in him) so expect a few linesman to absolutely get it

@ViktorFagerLFC: TONY BARRETT: #LFC are prepared to offer Klopp final say on signings.

CQldt2sUkAAyOh9.jpg

Last edited:
Emre Can seems to be happy with the potential appointment of Klopp in an interview with a German newspaper.

“Jurgen Klopp is certainly a great coach, I think he has demonstrated in Dortmund that he can work at any team in the world.”
Rodgers sacking was an inside job led by Can

Borussia Dortmund 2012 Highlights:

Easy to see what people are talking about in terms of his style.
1) Press, press, press
2) Recover the ball
3) Break forward swiftly and in numbers to create overloads in the final third
4) 1 touch passing, no-one holds onto the ball longer than is absolutely necessary before releasing to a team mate
5) Find a team mate in a shooting position
6) Goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back