Entertainment & Music GD Recommends (Movies)

Remove this Banner Ad

So how this thread works you post your DVD Collection (family friendly movies of course) and then recommend selected titles from the collection. Which then hopefully provokes discussion about the movies.

I know there is an Entertainment Board, but I post in the "Last Movie you Saw" thread and I'm lucky to get one quote. :$

Here is my DVD collection- please be kind. In a sort of alphabetical order:

4 Weddings and a Funeral, 28 Days Later, 500 Days of Summer, AdventureLand, American Hustle, Back to the Future Trilogy, Bad Teacher, Billy Madison/Happy Gilmore/ Bulletproof, Bring it On, Boys and Girls, The Blair Witch Project, The Blues Brothers, Bridesmaids, The Boat that Rocked, Blue Valentine, Borat, The Boy in the Striped PJs, Boogie Nights/54, The Big Hit, Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset, The Breakfast Club, Brokeback Mountain, The Burbs, Charlies Angels, Crash, The Castle, Chaos Theory, Cluesless, Dirty Dancing, Dodgeball, Drop Dead Fred, Dumb and Dumber, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Election, Ever After, Euro Trip, Ferris Beuller's Day Off/Planes Trains and Automobiles, Fight Club, GO, Great Gatsby, He’s just not that into you, The Human Centipede, Julie and Julia, Kill Bill ½, Knocked up/ 40 Year Old Virgin, Legally Blonde, Life as a House, Little Miss Sunshine, Loser, Last House on the Left, My Cousin Vinny, Muriel’s Wedding, The Notebook, Office Space, Pretty Woman, Precious, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Road Trip, Rush Hour, Save the Last Dance, Sanctum, Schindler’s List, Seven, Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, Silence of the Lambs, Some Kind of Wonderful, Sex and the City, Rabbit Hole, Snowtown, Soul Plane, Stand by Me, Stuck on You, Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion/Sweet Home Alabama, Susan Sarandon Collection incl: Dead Man Walking, Thelma and Louise, Swingers, Ted, Up in the Air, Waiting, Waitress/In her Shoes, The Wedding Singer, Vacation Series (National Lampoons), Wild Things, Wolf Creek, Zero Dark Thirty.

Tl;dr:

Go to chick flick: Bridesmaids and In Her Shoes.

Go to musical: there’s only one. Blues Brothers all the way.

Go to comedy: Bad Teacher. Got slammed in the reviews, but I loved it. Diaz is hot as in it too.

Go to thriller: (would normally say SOTL but won’t- if you haven’t seen it already tho. DO IT) Snowtown and Zero Dark Thirty. I challenge any one not to hold their breath in the final scene they get Bin Laden. As for Snowtown… yeah…

Go to horror: Will probably get ridiculed for this but Blair Witch. The acting in it is 100% natural and I found the way they just break down/ being lost the real scary part of this film. The very final scene is chilling too tho.

Go to weepie: If you ever feel like slitting your wrists and just want a film to push you over the edge these are the ones: Blue Valentine and Rabbit Hole. The latter being an actually good Nicole Kidman film. Both are heart wrenching.

Go to cult: Swingers. Vince Vaughn looking his absolute best in this very clever comedy.

Go to drama: Brokeback Mountain. How Ledger didn't win that Oscar is beyond me. Ripped off.
And Dead Man Walking. Watch that film and it will stay with you for days afterwards, even weeks.

Last edited:
movie-folders-organized-windows.jpg

Am confused why you have 3 and 4 tho, they are rubbish. Haven't seen HA 2 in many years.

Tell me what happens at the end of Shutter Island pls, I fell asleep with 20 mins to go, much to the disgust of my then bf at the time.

Any other movies you care to recommend, pls post away G.
I've crapped on about this film before, but Tim Robbin's Bob Roberts, with Jack Black, Alan Rickman, and Gore Vidal, is my favourite non Godfather film, I'm not much of a film buff though, so my opinion can be fairly easily ignored.

Am confused why you have 3 and 4 tho, they are rubbish. Haven't seen HA 2 in many years.

Tell me what happens at the end of Shutter Island pls, I fell asleep with 20 mins to go, much to the disgust of my then bf at the time.

Any other movies you care to recommend, pls post away G.
Lol not really mine, just a random pic off the net.

Hahahaha this thread in 10 years is going to look like those weird 2001 threads. Collection of movies? Hahaha lels they'll be streaming everything, you won't need to store anything on HDs/DVDs

Hahahaha this thread in 10 years is going to look like those weird 2001 threads. Collection of movies? Hahaha lels they'll be streaming everything, you won't need to store anything on HDs/DVDs

I love a good TV series or movie collection with awesome packaging, I hope those things never go out of fashion. It means people won't be buying every show they like, but the ones that go to effort in packaging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love a good TV series or movie collection with awesome packaging, I hope those things never go out of fashion. It means people won't be buying every show they like, but the ones that go to effort in packaging.

Six Feet Under Box Set. Is an actual grave with headstone and grass :thumbsu::thumbsu:

I'm not going to post my DVD list. Way too long. However:

Go to chick flick: Mean Girls

Go to musical: Grease

Go to comedy: Flying High

Go to thriller: Witness

Go to horror: A Nightmare on Elm St(the original)

Go to weepie: Phildelphia or Boys Don't Cry

Go to cult: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Go to drama: The Green Mile

Comedy: Four Lions / Super Troopers
Serious: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Doco: Citizen Four

Comedy: Four Lions / Super Troopers
Serious: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Doco: Citizen Four

We study TBITSP in Year 9, so I'm getting a bit weary of that movie tbh. (And the movie is better than the book btw) Still really love the the mix of a fictitious storyline against a real life event. Inglorious Basterds is another one like that I love.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back