Season 2015..

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive blows for both Wang teams with Hartwig(rovers) and Allan(magpies) both signing at doutta stars.

The player drain from both sides is a huge worry. Too many factors working against both clubs. They traditionally have such strong teams in the thirds, but the best of the kids go to Melbourne to play, others leave for work or uni, and for those who stay it seems that half of them take the money on offer from the district leagues. Then when they recruit players from elsewhere it's hit and miss, and even when they find a good one they rarely stay more than a year or two. Just need to work harder to keep that local talent I suppose. But that is probably more difficult than ever given how stale the O&M has become. Less people going to games, less interest in general, less sponsorship I'd imagine. Hard to know what the answer is.

The player drain from both sides is a huge worry. Too many factors working against both clubs. They traditionally have such strong teams in the thirds, but the best of the kids go to Melbourne to play, others leave for work or uni, and for those who stay it seems that half of them take the money on offer from the district leagues. Then when they recruit players from elsewhere it's hit and miss, and even when they find a good one they rarely stay more than a year or two. Just need to work harder to keep that local talent I suppose. But that is probably more difficult than ever given how stale the O&M has become. Less people going to games, less interest in general, less sponsorship I'd imagine. Hard to know what the answer is.
It is interesting re the u18's. Wang thirds have won a few recent titles , as did wodonga before them. Traditionally wang and rovers have been in the top 3 for many years. Would appear to mean jack s$&t!. It would appear 3rds top teams dominated by smalls , of whom very few go on to be dominate senior players. Wang 3rds have lacked big key players. Often seen lavi or raiders 3rds with 2 or 3 big key players who will develope into long term seniors.
Even myrtleford produce that 2 or 3 key position players. Certainly few from wang , rovers, dogs. ( for all their good 3rds teams). Note how teams appear to have to buy in full Fowards? Surely given the size of NE vic we can produce our own primadonna, look at me , F.Fs? Yarra do manage to produce good key fowards and defenders at a regular rate.
Wang need to keep their 2 or 3 non drafted bushes. But vfl entices! Even thought not a path way to anywhere.lots of promises and hard work to appease coaches trying to move up the drain.
Waite. Clarke. Etc need to stay local.
Young Richards worth watching though!
Couple of young talls at lavi and raiders 2015 3rds worth both clubs keeping in the fold too.
And don't waste money on imports!
Be interesting to see how many of albury's bushies are there in a year or so. I hope a few.

Last edited:
Apologies to Corowa! It would seem that it was no coincidence that Corowa produced a 3rds team early 2000's and later a senior team that was more than competative . Based on small group of key position players. .?
Centre is a key position.
It would seem that 2 or 3 key young players make the base of quite a few years competitive teams

It is interesting re the u18's. Wang thirds have won a few recent titles , as did wodonga before them. Traditionally wang and rovers have been in the top 3 for many years. Would appear to mean jack s$&t!. It would appear 3rds top teams dominated by smalls , of whom very few go on to be dominate senior players. Wang 3rds have lacked big key players. Often seen lavi or raiders 3rds with 2 or 3 big key players who will develope into long term seniors.
Even myrtleford produce that 2 or 3 key position players. Certainly few from wang , rovers, dogs. ( for all their good 3rds teams). Note how teams appear to have to buy in full Fowards? Surely given the size of NE vic we can produce our own primadonna, look at me , F.Fs? Yarra do manage to produce good key fowards and defenders at a regular rate.
Wang need to keep their 2 or 3 non drafted bushes. But vfl entices! Even thought not a path way to anywhere.lots of promises and hard work to appease coaches trying to move up the drain.
Couple of young talls at lavi and raiders 2015 3rds worth both clubs keeping in the fold too.
Be interesting to see how many of albury's bushies are there in a year or so. I hope a few.
Good point - name a local full forward from an O and M club - Dryden from Raiders kicked 100 and he was from Yackandandah.

Good point - name a local full forward from an O and M club - Dryden from Raiders kicked 100 and he was from Yackandandah.
Full Forwards= rare as hens teeth. as you say, Dryden probably the last gun FF, before that your looking at Turner from Wodonga, Bakes at Albury and of course Houlihan at Corowa, wasNorman at Rovers a Wang kid to start with?
But i guess any club that is going to produce a gun local full forward, is going to go to a higher level (afl), or put himself on the open market

Horse Longmire
I was looking for a f.f or even chf that came via omfnl 3rds and went on to be a gun f.f at senior level , for the same club?
Fev. Rose. Wong.gestier. Archer. Hall. Rosco t. Etc all guns for hire.
Has any 3rds player kicked 100 in last years? Given how weak some teams are?
Who was the last local to kick 100? The punters like a 100 gl f.f.
Maybe footy has changed too much?

Note: nothing out of the raiders camp pre Christmas? Either going along swimmingly or?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was looking for a f.f or even chf that came via omfnl 3rds and went on to be a gun f.f at senior level , for the same club?

Note: nothing out of the raiders camp pre Christmas? Either going along swimmingly or?
I'm hearing a few ins but also a few outs from Raiders. Recruits should be announced in the New Year. Also hearing Nth Albury pretty close with a few as well

I'm hearing a few ins but also a few outs from Raiders. Recruits should be announced in the New Year. Also hearing Nth Albury pretty close with a few as well
It would seem north had better be "close to a few".
Also, have Corowa trained pre Christmas?
The way it is going it will be very much the haves v the have nots, with plenty of 20 gl touch ups.
Wang magpies seem the only team of the bottom lot on the way up? If myrtleford put all the ex locals on the park? But c.h a big out.
It would also seem lavi's window is close to slamming shut? Looking at their list and how they played 2015, they will have to win this year. Watching them play their plan is predicable and their mids appear to be all run foward , no run back 50? Will slaughter bottom 5 teams. V Albury and Yarra?
No pressure !

Last edited:

i'm sure that there has been a few, but the only one that i can remember was way back when i was a kid in the 80s and that was one of the Elkington boys from Wodonga, Jeff i think, sure he kicked a ton in the thirds and went on to be a pretty reasonable senior player, someone on here involved with the dogs may be able to confirm

i'm sure that there has been a few, but the only one that i can remember was way back when i was a kid in the 80s and that was one of the Elkington boys from Wodonga, Jeff i think, sure he kicked a ton in the thirds and went on to be a pretty reasonable senior player, someone on here involved with the dogs may be able to confirm

I think he played in and out of the seniors at Wodonga after thirds. Played mainly reserves.

It's a good point here about the 2 Wang sides and the Dogs thirds. Those teams should mean that the seniors benefit in time but it doesn't happen. If I was a young kid missing out at the Dogs I would be pissed off about them getting Twitt back and Hollands back once the season started last year. Can't complain about losing kids in this case.

It's a good point here about the 2 Wang sides and the Dogs thirds. Those teams should mean that the seniors benefit in time but it doesn't happen. If I was a young kid missing out at the Dogs I would be pissed off about them getting Twitt back and Hollands back once the season started last year. Can't complain about losing kids in this case.
Interesting that Wang chron has 3 rovers 3rds going to glenrowan. 2 last b&f winners at rovers thirds. Would assume for $'s. None looked too fit , so probably want an easy $. Coulgn't imagine Andy hill playing soft players.
Then again , matt Kelly did a year at Tarra.
Still ,rovers needed all hands.

Interesting that Wang chron has 3 rovers 3rds going to glenrowan. 2 last b&f winners at rovers thirds. Would assume for $'s. None looked too fit , so probably want an easy $. Coulgn't imagine Andy hill playing soft players.
Then again , matt Kelly did a year at Tarra.
Still ,rovers needed all hands.
Matt Kelly had 2 years at his home club Bright, won the league BnF and a runner up in those two years.

Re the rovers boys, had heard both out to glenrowen for $300+ (could be way off the mark but it's what I heard) pretty good Money for an 18 year old I suppose it would be pretty hard to refuse.

Matt Kelly had 2 years at his home club Bright, won the league BnF and a runner up in those two years.

Re the rovers boys, had heard both out to glenrowen for $300+ (could be way off the mark but it's what I heard) pretty good Money for an 18 year old I suppose it would be pretty hard to refuse.

Why didn't wang just match it then??

Apart from ex afl players what is the average O&M player on?? Seems as though they pay peanuts to the locals and spend up big on the recruits who they just recycle thru, not any club in particular just whole comp apart from albury

Why didn't wang just match it then??

Apart from ex afl players what is the average O&M player on?? Seems as though they pay peanuts to the locals and spend up big on the recruits who they just recycle thru, not any club in particular just whole comp apart from albury

From what I've heard the locals are as hard to deal with as the imports these days. In the old days the locals would be happy to play for not too much so the club could top up with some gun recruits. Not any more.

Baiter Kelly having those two years in the O&K made him as a footballer. Saidly most young blokes who venture out to the bush dont come back.
The rovers blokes leaving is just another blight of whats happening in the region, average players getting offered good money before they are provern against the men.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back