Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why, but I loved seeing Hargrave getting in there. Loved him as a player.

It might be an unpopular opinion... but what kind of job is a blogger? Seriously who reads this stuff in order for someone to make money off it?
You'd be surprised. Popular blogs attract sponsors who run ads on the blog site. Well, they're both gonna have to work hard to pay for that little do - must have cost a fortune.

Do you guys n gals think it would be silly having a team in the development league? I was thinking it would be good to be able to allow our unused vfl players the opportunity to play our system when not required for vfl duties and we can top up with promising players from the western league when injuries hit our (afl or vfl) contracted players.
We may also be able to use this league when our vfl team structure goes out of kilter. e.g. we end up with 3 ruckmen playing in the vfl team at the same time and a player like Goetz gets no ruck time and ends up going forward for the duration of the game instead of playing 50/50 or thereabouts, he could easily play in the development league for a couple of weeks instead.
Players like Declan Hamilton may also have benefitted from playing development league for a few weeks last year in order for him to get into the groove and it also gives the opportunity for up and coming coaches or mentors and players exiting the game to work in a coaching role.
I presume Hawthorn have a development league team operating through the box hill hawks.
I just think if it adds depth then why not.

Thoughts?

Do you guys n gals think it would be silly having a team in the development league? I was thinking it would be good to be able to allow our unused vfl players the opportunity to play our system when not required for vfl duties and we can top up with promising players from the western league when injuries hit our (afl or vfl) contracted players.
We may also be able to use this league when our vfl team structure goes out of kilter. e.g. we end up with 3 ruckmen playing in the vfl team at the same time and a player like Goetz gets no ruck time and ends up going forward for the duration of the game instead of playing 50/50 or thereabouts, he could easily play in the development league for a couple of weeks instead.
Players like Declan Hamilton may also have benefitted from playing development league for a few weeks last year in order for him to get into the groove and it also gives the opportunity for up and coming coaches or mentors and players exiting the game to work in a coaching role.
I presume Hawthorn have a development league team operating through the box hill hawks.
I just think if it adds depth then why not.

Thoughts?
Cost.
The VFL team we've got comes at a fair price but the benefits to the whole club are well understood and we're reaping them already.
I don't think you could make as good a cost-benefit case for a VFL Development side. And even if you could we might get better bang for our limited bucks by spending them on the senior footy department.

However if it could be done very inexpensively then I'd be OK with it, especially if it could somehow be tied in with the Ballarat initiative (although that's unlikely I think).

Cost.
The VFL team we've got comes at a fair price but the benefits to the whole club are well understood and we're reaping them already.
I don't think you could make as good a cost-benefit case for a VFL Development side. And even if you could we might get better bang for our limited bucks by spending them on the senior footy department.

However if it could be done very inexpensively then I'd be OK with it, especially if it could somehow be tied in with the Ballarat initiative (although that's unlikely I think).
I can't see there being too much in the way of cost. If we use the resources we already have, i.e. utilising our unused vfl talent which we are already paying for. Topping up with promising western league youngsters to cover injuries which shouldn't cost much, especially when it gives these youngsters a chance of being looked at by an AFL based administration.
And using it as a way of being able to bring on young coaching staff and the like which would boost the senior footy department.
I think I've reworded your statement to say you are in favour.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has it got over 4 degrees yet?
Did they think to order more beer this time?
No and no and still had to queue for half an hour to get in. We're winning again though :rainbow:

Anyway, let's move off this topic. Anyone else been watching a few of our old games on fox footy recently? I look at them now and know names and such but living in Queensland during most of my teenage years with no Foxtel I didn't get to see many dogs games.

All of these old games give me a much better perspective of how good some of our old players were or in some cases what some of our older boys were like 5 or more years ago. I never got to see much of Nathan Brown at all and have a much better appreciation of the player he was. Also didn't realise Rohan Smith spent a fair bit of time up forward too.

Anyway, let's move off this topic. Anyone else been watching a few of our old games on fox footy recently? I look at them now and know names and such but living in Queensland during most of my teenage years with no Foxtel I didn't get to see many dogs games.

All of these old games give me a much better perspective of how good some of our old players were or in some cases what some of our older boys were like 5 or more years ago. I never got to see much of Nathan Brown at all and have a much better appreciation of the player he was. Also didn't realise Rohan Smith spent a fair bit of time up forward too.

Didn't he kick a bag of goals vs Essendon?

I think I've seen that on a video somewhere :)

Just received the best gift a girl could want !!! Letter in the post arrived today from my aunt, attached is a letter and two pieces of paper, one with the autograph of Roger Duffy and the other of the great man Ted Whitten, I am absolutely stoked. Both autographs my aunt obtained when she was a young girl growing up in Footscray. My Aunt grabbed their signatures in the early 50's, in light that Duffy started playing with us in 1952, and my aunt writes she had a crush on him from the year before when he played, I can surmise they must have been signed in 1953. So I'm heading off to the framers in the morning.

Daniel Talia's currently on SEN, said he was a Carlton supporter as a kid o_O:confused:

Thank **** we got the right brother, hope we can keep him
Oops! :$:$:$ *though I thought the same too*

Last edited:
He was our leading goal-kicker in 2000
Yep, I remember that game in 2004 when we ended St Kildas streak IIRC, or it may have been the week after, he went forward and kicked 3 or 4 in the second half and got us over the line, very versatile player he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back