2nds Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

Not pointless, but apparently kids that watch sesame street, have a 14% less chance to fall behind in elementary shool than kids that don't watch it.

Sauce please

If this is true I'm going to stop educating my child and sit her in front of sesame street.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...c73fe4-095c-11e5-9e39-0db921c47b93_story.html

Not where I got it from but that's an article that discusses it.

I heard it from a Freamonomics podcast, titled 'Early Education' something something.

To surmise it very basically, society assumes that learning begins once a child enters school at the age of 4 or 5.

But they are saying it begins when they are born.

Kids who were born in poverty were more likely to have heard thirty million less words than kids in affluent families by the age of 3.

What this does, is it impacts the childs ability to learn once they start elementary school, because the more affluent kids have a stronger basis of vocabulary to learn at a more rapid rate than their peers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% of people who watched Sesame Street as a child are scared of large yellow birds and weird brown elephants. They are far more likely to have a biscuit addiction, most will have more limb injuries thinking that all their joints can move freely in all directions, and will try and justify that reading/watching Twilight will make them better at mathematics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...c73fe4-095c-11e5-9e39-0db921c47b93_story.html

Not where I got it from but that's an article that discusses it.

I heard it from a Freamonomics podcast, titled 'Early Education' something something.

To surmise it very basically, society assumes that learning begins once a child enters school at the age of 4 or 5.

But they are saying it begins when they are born.

Kids who were born in poverty were more likely to have heard thirty million less words than kids in affluent families by the age of 3.

What this does, is it impacts the childs ability to learn once they start elementary school, because the more affluent kids have a stronger basis of vocabulary to learn at a more rapid rate than their peers.

Yeah mate you raise some valid points. I've actually studied at uni and done some PD at work on education and children in poverty.

At the end of the day its costs nothing to take books out from the library and read them to your child. I read on average 4 short stories to my daughter each day.

IMO the key is not just reading books and sitting them down to watch educational programs suited for their learning level but to explain things clearly to them. This isn't easy for all parents as some parents who live in poverty lack the communication skills. I've also noticed many well off parents not give their children enough of their time.

The first Australian rules match played in Western Australia occurred in Fremantle in 1881. The harbour city quickly became a stronghold of the code, with Fremantle-based teams winning 24 of the first 34 WAFL premierships. For over 100 years it has been represented by two strong clubs in the WAFL.

The largest attendance at a football match in Western Australia was 52,781 at Subiaco Oval for the 1979 WAFL Grand Final between East Fremantle and South Fremantle.
1979 WANFL Grand Final G B Total
East Fremantle 21 19 145
South Fremantle 16 16 112
Venue: Subiaco Oval crowd: 52,781

Scarlett Johannsson...

Is three minutes older than her twin brother.

Had a role in Home Alone 3.
upload_2016-1-4_17-3-49.jpeg

Lost a role she auditioned for "The Parent Trap" (1998) to Lindsay Lohan.

Picked up the coveted "Pudding Pot" for winning Harvard University's Hasty Pudding Theatricals 2007 Woman of the Year award.
399606273_1413930d0.jpg

Is allergic to the outdoors.

Washes her face with apple cider vinegar to prevent blemishes.

36C-23-35 are not her lotto numbers.

scarlett_johansson_9501_north_560x_white.jpg

Is not as cute as my missus (close though).

Scarlett Johannsson...

Is three minutes older than her twin brother.

Had a role in Home Alone 3.
View attachment 204689

Lost a role she auditioned for "The Parent Trap" (1998) to Lindsay Lohan.

Picked up the coveted "Pudding Pot" for winning Harvard University's Hasty Pudding Theatricals 2007 Woman of the Year award.
399606273_1413930d0.jpg

Is allergic to the outdoors.

Washes her face with apple cider vinegar to prevent blemishes.

36C-23-35 are not her lotto numbers.

scarlett_johansson_9501_north_560x_white.jpg

Is not as cute as my missus (close though).
This thread is for pointless trivia. Anything about SJ is very interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back